Caffeine and Creatine

I read somewhere that caffeine negates the effect of creatine, is this true?
I usually take creatine 1 hour before I workout, then some caffiene just before my workout, is this ok or is the caffeine destroying the creatine?

[quote]jay711 wrote:
I read somewhere that caffeine negates the effect of creatine, is this true?
I usually take creatine 1 hour before I workout, then some caffiene just before my workout, is this ok or is the caffeine destroying the creatine?[/quote]

jay

2 things come to mind right off the bat.

Why take your creatine 1 hour pre workout?

Why takr your caffeine right before your workout?

Your creatine is best absorbed immediately following your workout with your PWO (post workout shake) A good ratio might be 3:1 Or even 4:1 quick carbs to protein. Add your creatine to this and you will maximize absorption.

Caffeine takes 30-90 minutes to enter the blood stream after ingestion–depending on size and stomach contents.
You’d be better off having your caffeine a little earlier and your creatine a bit later.

I haven’t been taking creatine for a while. I’ve found that when you first start using creatine, if I take it pre work out it allows me to do an extra rep on more or less every excercise than if I hadn’t taken it. I also don’t feel as tired during the workout.
Thats why I like taking my creatine pre workout.

Caffeine is a diuretic, therefore it would seem to oppose creatine’s “cell volumizing” effects.

I read somewhere a long time ago that the two are not “competing” for the same fluids so the use of caffeine in moderation won’t negate your creatine use. It made sense at the time. I don’t know the science to prove or disprove this.

I am a caffeine addict. I don’t think it negatively affects my creatine use. I do drink a lot of water also. YMMV.

LA

You can ask one of the experts here, but your reasoning is a tad flawed. While creatine does often times allow for an extra rep or two when taken by a responder, it is not because you just took it. It has to be absorbed and assimilated into your system over time, and then used by the body. In this case it doesn’t matter when you take it, just that it is available for the body when it needs it.

It is better absorbed ie-more efficiently, after workout with some simple carbs. Now it will be available to you for tomorrows workout, and you have absorbed more and wasted less.

Do you follow what I’m trying to get across? It’s a little wordy, but I think the message is clear.

And yes, with the combination of working out, taking creatine, and taking caffeine–you MUST drink alot of water. ALOT–1 oz. per bodyweight lb would be something to shoot for.

[quote]
Caffeine takes 30-90 minutes to enter the blood stream after ingestion–depending on size and stomach contents.
You’d be better off having your caffeine a little earlier and your creatine a bit later.[/quote]

Interesting i usually slug a single or double espresso about 10mins before training, didn’t realise caffeine took that long to hit the system. Will try a bit earlier next time. Too true on the creatine post workout, a scoop of creatine, scoop of glucose and a scoop of protein powder.

[quote]bomberlow wrote:

You’d be better off having your caffeine a little earlier and your creatine a bit later.

Interesting i usually slug a single or double espresso about 10mins before training, didn’t realise caffeine took that long to hit the system. Will try a bit earlier next time. Too true on the creatine post workout, a scoop of creatine, scoop of glucose and a scoop of protein powder.
[/quote]

Depending on your size, I’m sure you begin feeling the effects during your workout. Plus it probably takes 10 minutes to drink a double so some is getting there sooner than you think.

Something interesting I read on a post from CW is that caffeine can interfere with CNS recovery and should not be ingested after working out. This is another reason I like to get mine a good hour before workout. The benefits are there and yet the effects are wearing off by the end of your workout.