Caffeine Addicts Anonymous

[quote]AliveAgain36 wrote:
Why do people want to quit drinking coffee / caffeine? There are whole sites dedicated to how evil it is and how to give it up.

Never.[/quote]
same people who say anything that releases dopamine and makes you feel good is evil and should make you feel deeply ashamed

if you FEEL that eating all organic and jogging every day will bring you to your physique goals, then it has to be true right? Funny that those people don’t have time or won’t listen to empirical proof that they’re wrong, but will evangelize their fitness beliefs as loudly as possible

correlation vs. causation not even once

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

Why do people want to quit drinking coffee / caffeine? There are whole sites dedicated to how evil it is and how to give it up.

Never.[/quote]
same people who say anything that releases dopamine and makes you feel good is evil and should make you feel deeply ashamed

if you FEEL that eating all organic and jogging every day will bring you to your physique goals, then it has to be true right? Funny that those people don’t have time or won’t listen to empirical proof that they’re wrong, but will evangelize their fitness beliefs as loudly as possible

[/quote]

Isn’t caffeine a MAOI that keeps levels of dopamine circulating longer? That would explain my bad mood without it.

I measure my coffee drinking by the pot.

As a sidenote, since green tea has also been thrown into the mix – does anyone else get super thirsty after drinking green tea? As in having to drink two or three large glasses of water directly afterwards?

[quote]kgildner wrote:
As a sidenote, since green tea has also been thrown into the mix – does anyone else get super thirsty after drinking green tea? As in having to drink two or three large glasses of water directly afterwards?[/quote]

Glad I wasn’t the only one!

[quote]theBeth wrote:

[quote]browndisaster wrote:

Never.[/quote]

[/quote]

Isn’t caffeine a MAOI that keeps levels of dopamine circulating longer? That would explain my bad mood without it.[/quote]

MAO metabolizes tyramine
Caffeine has mild amounts of tyramine (stimulates release of dopamine)
Large spike of tyramine ~> hypertensive crisis due to vasoconstriction
But I think gradual loading of caffeine… the body naturally produces enough MAO to counteract it

But if you go cold turkey one day on the coffee, then you’ll get massive vasodilation.
Thus headache aka withdrawal ensues ):

I thiiiink that’s how it works.

I don’t drink sodas or coffee & even good tea doesn’t have enough kick. I buy 99+% pure 500gm at a time, rub a little on my gums, a few minutes later tingletingle it’s absorbing and doing its job.
Hi-I’m-Phileaux-and-I’m-a-caffine-addict

Coffee is nice.

Iced only, except occasionally during the winter.

I usually just opt for a preworkout caffeine pill and ephedra pill, I never drink enough to warrant making a whole pot w/o company.

For reasons outside the scope of this thread, I can tell you that coffee is one of the best over the counter sources of MAOI available, not only due to it’s caffeine concentration.

So yes, it will make you happy. It’s benefits are much farther reaching than just being caffeinated.

I like this video, probably because it totally preaches to my choir.

Other than giving me great workouts, the best I have ever felt was being 3 to 4 weeks clean of caffeine, My concentration was better as well as my mood. And I know I was more productive at work.

i work 6 days on 1 day off. 12 hour shifts. I pop over 800mg of caffeine a day. I am going to die wide awake.

My name is Bobby, this is my first post and my short story.

[quote]BobbyGz wrote:
i work 6 days on 1 day off. 12 hour shifts. I pop over 800mg of caffeine a day. I am going to die wide awake.

My name is Bobby, this is my first post and my short story.[/quote]
Welcome to the family Bobby.

We will be here for you when you need us most.

tweet

Thanks for all of the replies buddies.

For those that are interested I drink espresso coffee. I have a machine at home, and like theBeth I spend a fair bit of time researching the best baristas in the area I will be in next. I drink short machs, long machs, flat whites and cappuccinos.

Today I had my first coffee for 5 days at 2:00pm. I had a cappuccino. Now it is 8pm and I am still feeling alert. I had noticed the effect of the caffeine, although that is maybe because I was looking for it. Tomorrow I will go coffee-less. It will be interesting to see if the caffeine related headaches return.

The headaches I did experience was worse int the first 48 hours without coffee, and then the next day I had a mild headache for a few hours. I also experienced nausea and tiredness in the first 48 hours.

My name is bird, and this is my story.

tweet

I went cold turkey once just to see, for a whole month. Had a decent headache for one day, like day 3. Then poof, good to go.

When I quit for a couple to a few months, I never got back the focus that 16-32oz of coffee a day gave me. The headaches for the first weak were excrutiating and I was extremely lethargic and apathetic.

I just missed drinking coffee. Like a good IPA, I enjoy the alcohol but the taste and smell are what really get me.

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
When I quit for a couple to a few months, I never got back the focus that 16-32oz of coffee a day gave me.
[/quote]
Please elaborate?

tweet

I was a 2 20 oz. a day guy, one in the morning and one at 4:30 before my workouts. I have been having some sleep issues and the Doc said to cut it all out. We compromised at just the morning one and to forgo the pre-workout one.

It’s only been 3 days so let’s see! I will say my guts feel better.

[quote]theBird wrote:

[quote]Fletch1986 wrote:
When I quit for a couple to a few months, I never got back the focus that 16-32oz of coffee a day gave me.
[/quote]
Please elaborate?

tweet[/quote]

I was just kind of spacier and not as driven. Before I would drink 1-2 12oz coffee cups. Usually one as soon as waking and one late morning. So that’s actually 12-24oz now that I think about it. I forgot coffee cups were smaller.

I worked 16 hours the other day. How anyone could do that without coffee I do not know.