Caesium32's Log - Cycling With a Side of Lifting

Yeah I’m still following your log it looks great. I haven’t actually used the excel sheet just because it’s a bit awkward on my phone. I have the e-book though and my phone calculator so I just refer to those in the gym if I need to work stuff out.
Thanks a lot.

1 Like

I forgot youre not in the states, otherwise I’d have a pair of shoes to send you. Theyre some pretty new reebok lifter 2.0s in your size. If we can figure out reasonable shipping id be happy to help you out.

Oh wow that’s incredibly kind. I couldn’t accept them for free, I’d have to pay you something. I just had a quick look online and the cheapest shipping I could see was about £40 which is still cheaper than chucks or any heeled shoes I’ve seen.

You could cover the shipping if you’d like.
I’d rather them be used by someone rather than just sitting on a shelf.

Yeah sure, that’d be great. Do you want to email me about it? I’ll put my email in another post.

20/01/17 5/3/1 for hardgainers W1D3

Deadlift (TM-100):
20xlots, 40x5, 65x5, 75x5, 85x10, 65x5x5

As soon as I started taking the plates off after my plus set I knew I should have done another rep. 85x10 equals a PR and I definitely could have gotten 11 or 12. The reps started to slow down so I stopped and I’m very annoyed at not pushing myself harder. Other than that things went well and all the reps were very fast. All sets other than the top one were done double overhand. I’m definitely getting stronger.
My lower back felt pretty tight towards the beginning of the 5x5 part but I spent about a minute in a Third World squat position and it felt much better. I often sit like that anyway because it’s quite comfortable, especially as I’m warming up, but this was the first time I’ve felt better for it.

Ab wheel roll-out superset with press ups (50 reps):
BWx5x5/BWx12,10,10,10,8

The roll outs felt a lot easier than they used to for some reason. Normally I feel like I’m tearing in half so very happy about that. I’m going to keep adding reps over the cycle with a goal of 5 sets of 10 roll outs and 100 reps of press ups in 5 sets.
I got a bad headache after this right above my eyes, I think from holding my breath during roll outs. I’ll have to see how it is next week and be careful, the pain wasn’t really worth the exercise.

Dumbell rows (50 reps):
12x 30, x20

Due to headache I didn’t feel like pushing this too hard and there were no other suitably heavy dumbbells anyway. I’ll do what @MarkKO does and go for 30 reps then add weight.

Finished this workout feeling good and by the time I left the headache had gone from a 7/10 to a 2.
I got talking to some guy I’ve seen a couple times while I was deadlifting and he was really nice. He’s one of the strongest I’ve seen there too, he was doing deficit deads with 220kg. It’s good to talk to someone else that takes things seriously in person and he mentioned there’s some sort of powerlifting thing nearby that I didn’t know about.
On another note the gym is getting ridiculously busy. I thought people complaining about lots of people after New Year were always exaggerating but there was literally like 10 guys doing curls in the mirror and 10 girls doing weird sit ups and donkey kicks as I left.

1 Like

Do you have any videos of your lifts to post? Just curious, haha.

2 Likes

Yeah I actually have a deadlift and squat video I recorded a couple weeks ago. They weren’t very good so I wasn’t sure about posting them and was gonna get some more first so you guys could tell me how they look but I may as well post it.

Edit: I’ve just tried and it says the video format isn’t supported so I’ll have a play around and try to post it later.

1 Like

Just post it on YouTube and set it to unlisted and post the link here.

1 Like

YouTube has killed the quality but here it is. @Benanything

Quite glad I got that squat video because that’s where I want my depth to be, sometimes I divebomb and bounce off my calves.
I’m gonna try get some better footage next week so those of you who are more experienced can give advice.

4 Likes

Just been to the gym to do my press workout at what is supposed to be the quietest time and literally not one piece of equipment was free in the weights room. I’ve never seen anything like it, a lot of stuff had three or four people using it.
I had five minutes on a treadmill and exercise bike then decided to leave and move my press workout to tomorrow. At least I got out and did some exercise. I can’t wait to move house next year and be nearer a decent gym. Depending how next week is I might have to start forcing myself up at 7am to go.

BW: 85.1kg

The squat looks pretty decent for the most part. You might want to work on your unracking of the bar, it almost looks as if you might be losing balance when you unrack. Try standing under the bar more.

Squat: is perfect from what I see. I think the best place to record squats from is the back corner at 4 to 5 o’clock and at knee height recording. Others might have a different/better opinion.

Agree on unracking part.

Deadlift: This also looked pretty good buuuut lose the shoes. It looked like you might have been pitched a bit forward which causes the hips to shoot up but more importantly keeps you from driving through your heels.

Quick Rant dont wear shoes for deadlifting. 1 it increases the ROM, 2 every bit of cushion is a minor decrease in power distribution to the floor 3 and most importantly shoes are squishy and we wouldn’t build a house on a squishy foundation.

As for lifting shoes for squats use the lifted heels if you need it other wise don’t.

1 Like

Thank you. I agree the unrack doesn’t look great, when I first watched it I was shocked how unbalanced it looked. It feels fine but it looks like I’m gonna fall over. I think it’s a habit I’ve developed because of using bad racks like the one in the video. If I stand straight up I hit the hooks above so I have to step back as I stand.
I’m not sure if I do it in my normal gym where there’s just one set of hooks so I’ll have to video it.

Thank you, I actually mentioned having a slight issue with shoes a few posts up. When I first started deadlifting I used to do it barefoot trying to get as much weight up as possible but I just figured that for now it’s so minor it isn’t worth the time.
As for the hips shooting up and pitching forward I tried leaning back more on my last deadlift session for a couple reps and felt like I was gonna fall back so stopped but I’ll give it another go.

Lifting ideally is never a waste of time :wink:

This could be your heels compressing and causing you to fall over. Like pulling out the floor that half of your foot is standing on.

1 Like

Yeah those are some good points, I’ll give barefoot a try next time and see how it feels leaning back more.

1 Like

super nice form on both lifts gj man

2 Likes

Thank you.

Looked good, but I definitely agree with shoes off. It’s easy to ignore, but those details really matter!