Caesium32's Log - Cycling With a Side of Lifting

So another general update…

I’ve finished university now for four weeks and am planning to deload next week. The last two weeks have been really stressful and it’s definitely effected me in the gym, mostly motivation wise, so it’ll be nice to have somewhat of a refresher week. After that I’m going to start cutting down and following the 3x full body template I mentioned ages ago with probably a fourth day dedicated to conditioning sort of stuff.

2 Likes

26/3/18
Deload

Deadlift:
5x60
10x1x100

Lat pull-down: 3x10x40

Superset
Ab wheel roll outs: 3x5
Press ups: 3x10

Cable rows: 3x10x30

Superset
Face pulls: 3x10
Tricep pushdowns: 3x10

Had the same pain in my right shoulder during press ups as I do when benching.

1 Like

29/3/18
Deload

Back squat:
2x5x20
5x40
3x5x60

Overhead press:
2x8x20
3x5x30

Chest supported rows: 3x10

Farmers walks: 4x 2 lengths of gym x30 ea

Calve raises: 2 sets with 5+ sec eccentrics

Gym has got farmers handles, a log and circus dumbell since I last was there- going to be using the farmers handles a lot more. Squats and overhead press both felt kinda rubbish but hopefully its just a one off today.

1 Like

So planned out properly what I’m going to do starting next week. Kind of kept adding things in and it ended up reminding me a bit of one of Alpha’s templates so that must be a good sign.

Day 1
Power (10 mins)
Box jumps- 3x5

Strength (2 mins rest, 20 mins total)
Overhead press -8x3
Barbell row -4x6
Goblet squat -3x8

Assistance (20 mins)
Lateral raises, ab wheel, reverse curls - 2 sets to failure
Farmers (light)- 4 sets

Day 2
Power
Med ball slams- 3x5

Strength
Dumbell bench -3x8
Dumbell row -3x8
Deadlift -8x3

Assistance
Face pulls, tricep pushdowns - 2 sets to failure
Sled push & pull, KB suitcase carry -5 mins AMRAP

Day 3
Power
Broad jumps- 3x5

Strength
Chin up -8x3
Overhead press -3x8
Front squat -5x5

Assistance
Press ups, lunges - 2 sets to failure
Farmers (heavy) - 2 sets

Everything that can easily be supersetted will be in an effort to push my conditioning and save time. I’ll have to start light to account for it but if I end up slightly weaker but better conditioned and less fat I’m OK with that. I really like the look of how this is set out and I’m excited to try it.

I’ll only be able to get 3 weeks in before I go back to university and then I won’t be able to follow it exactly but most of it will stay the same. I’ll also have exams for the first two weeks I’m back so there’s a good chance I’ll just do the strength stuff but after that I’ll have more time and will be going to athletics again.

1 Like

30/3/18
Deload

Treadmill: about 8 mins
Lat pull-down: 3x10
Tricep pushdowns: 8x10-15
Sled push & pull: 8 sets

Girlfriend joined yesterday with me and wanted to go again today so just did some random stuff. Nothing difficult other than the sled stuff.

3/4/18

High box jumps: 3x3

Superset (90s rest)
Overhead press:
2x8x20
5x30
4x3x40
2x3x42.5
2x3x45
Barbell row: 4x6x40
Goblet squat: 3x8x15

Superset
Ab wheel: 2x8
Lateral raises: 20x4s, 14x4s
Dumbell curls: 2x10x8s

Lat pull-down: 4x10x45

Bit confusing to write out but did overhead press superset with rows then after I’d done those I did the goblet squats. The plan was 2 minute rests but I was getting bored waiting around so went to 90s which still wasn’t too bad- next week I might go down another 10-20s. Someone was using the farmers handles so did pull-downs instead which I got a great MMC and pump with. Left the gym feeling good rather than tired which was nice.

2 Likes

Looks like a nice workout.
That supersetting thing is quite good.

1 Like

5/4/18

Axle t&g block deadlift (90s rest):
5x50
3x70
3x80
2x3x90
2x3x100
2x3x105
3x110
3x120

Superset
Dumbell bench press: 3x8x10s
Dumbell rows: 3x8x20

Superset
Pec deck: 3x10
Rear laterals: 3x15

Conditioning (4 rounds):
Sled push- run back- suitcase carry w/ left arm- suitcase carry back w/ right arm - run back to sled- pull sled back- 4 med ball slams

Good workout, felt like I got lots done. Block pulls were from mid shin and fun to try. Started with straps but they weren’t long enough for the axle so from 105kg onwards I gripped over under. Top set was a solid effort and I’m surprised I could hold it but my forearms felt it after. Next week I might do it with a barbell and straps and the week after axle off the floor or something. Must admit I was inspired by @T3hPwnisher.

Everything else was pretty standard- conditioning was good and a keeper, shoulder felt a little off with the presses so I kept it very light.

2 Likes

Got weighed yesterday for the first time in months and was 89.1kg. The heaviest I remember being before this is 87kg and if anything I would say I’m slightly leaner so hopefully that means I’ve put on some muscle. Starting to cut down now and hopefully end up in the low 80s.

2 Likes

8/4/18

Superset (90s rest)
Overhead press:
2x8x20
5x30
8x35
8x37.5
8x40
Chins: 3x3xBW

Superset (90s rest)
Front squat:
2x5x20
5x40
5x45
5x50
5x55
5x60
Chins: 5x3xBW

Superset
Walking lunges: 2x8xBW
Dumbell overhead press: 2x10x8s

Lots of stretching

Treadmill: slow 5 minute walk at max incline

Wasn’t feeling great today so didn’t push anything super hard but did some work. Highlight was actually being able to do three chin ups- they aren’t exactly perfect dead stop ones but they’re OK. Lunges made my glutes feel strange, not sure whether they’re pumped or stretched or something else but I think it’s a sign they’re good for me.

Should have done farmers walks but someone was using the yoke most of the time I was there. I tried waiting for him to finish by stretching and using the treadmill but then he started doing some sort of carry medley and I decided I didn’t have time to wait. Annoying because that’s the second time I’ve had to skip them this week and they’re the only two times I’ve seen them in use.

3 Likes

10/4/18

Superset (80s rest)
Overhead press:
2x8x20
5x30
2x3x40
3x42.5
3x3x45
2x3x42.5
Barbell row: 2x6x40, 6x42.5, 6x45
Goblet squat: 3x8x15

Farmers walk (90s rest): 4x2x30

Superset
Lateral raises: RP: 20x5s- 10x5s
Reverse dumbell curls: 12x6s
Kettlebell swings: 15x16

Quick session today and got some good work in. Progressed with weight and shorter rest periods in the main movements.

3 Likes

13/4/18

Block deadlift below knee (80s rest):
5x60
5x80
3x100
3x110
3x120
3x130
3x140 (RPE 9.5)
3x3x80

Superset
Dumbell bench press: 3x8x15s
Dumbell rows: 3x8x25

Superset
Tricep pushdowns: 20x20, RP- 10, 5, 7x25
Face pulls: 2x20x25

Conditioning (2 rounds):
Sled push- run back- left arm suitcase carry- right arm suitcase carry- run back- sled pull

Good hard workout, there wasn’t much gas in the tank by the end. Last week got 3x120 on an axle and this week got 3x140 from the same height with a barbell but this week’s was harder. I’m not going to be able to go to the gym on Sunday so get an extra day rest and decided I’d make use of it by pushing a bit more- fun but can’t do it again. Sets with 130 and 140kg were both dead stop but the others were t&g. I won’t believe anyone saying t&g is easier now.

On a positive note, the dumbell presses were the first time in a couple of weeks that I’ve been able to horizontally press pain free.

5 Likes

Glad to hear man, that’s always a positive man! Keep at it!

Thanks! Annoyingly my friend just out benched me recently so I need them fixed to catch back up.

Weighed myself again this morning and came in at 90kg. Feel like I’m getting a bit leaner but weight doesn’t seem to be going down.

Diet needs to be knuckled down on and improved, so far it’s just been trying to eat less. These last three weeks I’ve been home with my girlfriend and we’ve gone out to eat a lot- I wouldn’t have it any other way but its not ideal for dieting. While I’m at uni on my own I can suffer a bit and drop some fat.

How tall are you?

@furo 5’10’’ just.

Nice! 90kg at 5’10" is very solid. Might be best to try and hold that weight and grow into it, rather than push things further just now.

A decent amount is fat so I’m trying to lean out a little at the minute. There’s a post with some pictures further up, don’t know if you’ve seen it, I think I’ve added some more muscle since then. Plan is to cut down along with the T-ransformation then I’ll start building back up from there.

While it’s all good being strong I want to be able to move around well and look decent too.

1 Like

16/4/18

Superset
Box jumps and med ball slams

Superset
Overhead press:
2x8x20
5x30
5x5x40
Barbell rows: 2x5x40, 3x10x40

Superset
Front squat:
2x5x20
5x40
3x5x50
6x50
Chins: 3x3xBW

Farmers walks (weight each hand):
2x30 (fast)
2x40 (kind of fast)
2x1x50 w/ straps (pretty slow)

Good workout again but ran out of time for assistance. Combined two workouts and decided to go heavy with the farmers walks. Felt good to be carrying more than my body weight but started to get a little slow and shaky.

2 Likes