Caesium32's Log - Cycling With a Side of Lifting

Congrats on the PRs!

1 Like

Thank you!

08/02/17 5/3/1 W3D2

Bench press (TM-65):
20x10, 30x10, 40x5, 50x5, 55x5, 60x5x5

Felt about as hard as usual, not super easy but nothing too bad. Could feel all the work in the last few days in my shoulders.

Cable row (100 reps):
10x50, 30, 20

Chest press (100 reps):
10x40, 35, 25

Basically just some active recovery sort of stuff, 10kg is probably too light even for this.

Exercise bike: 30s on/30s off x2

Pretty average session, just got in and out. I’ve done all four workouts and kickboxing in four days so I’m feeling a bit sore and tired but I’m having tomorrow and the weekend off to recover. I slept about nine and a half hours last night too so that probably helps. All in all things are going good.

1 Like

Try push ups instead.

That would have been a good idea actually but anything over 10 would have probably been a bit hard for what I wanted.

What is it you want then?

Just something easy to get some blood flowing.

1 Like

That sounds fair enough haha. You should still consider changing them to push ups though, you’ll get used to them eventually and I do think they make great conditioning tools of sorts. Maybe start off with 5 sets of 10 push ups and increase reps and sets over time. I know Jim Wendler does write about 100 reps of insert stuff here for assistance work but don’t get too caught up about it.

Besides, have you ever seen someone who can do 300 push ups with bad chest development? I haven’t.

That and it’s some I’d do if I could…

I think you’re misunderstanding, I only did this today to try and help out with the fatigue from the last few days. Usually I’d do incline dumbbell press and I do five max rep sets of press ups on my deadlift day.

1 Like

Ahhhh, my bad, should’ve looked through your previous few training sessions too before I run my mouth off. I look like a jack ass now haha!

1 Like

Don’t worry about it haha, thanks for helping.

Your presses outnumber your horizontal pulling motions. I would be careful with a set up like this. It MAY lead to shoulder problems/ bad posture in the future. I haven’t looked through all of your training sessions, so I don’t know the overall balance but make sure to do enough horizontal pulling.

Good point, that’s something I’d forgotten about. I’ve not barbell rowed in a long time but I’d say I’m probably around 50kg for reps strict so I should probably try and get it up.
I pull both horizontally and vertically twice a week as well as band pull aparts a few times a week so I should be okay for now, thanks though.

1 Like

I meant strictly volume wise, not how much weight you press/ row. Also although it does work your back, vertical pulling is not falling in this category. To even out pressing, rowing is key.
Just something to keep in mind for the future.

By the way, congratulations on your recent PRs! Progress has been really good. I can definitely see that 140 kg deadlift coming closer.

I probably do do more pressing than pulling volume wise. This program I’m doing at the moment has a lot of pressing assistance but I’ll definitely be doing less and more pulling once it’s done. I should really put more emphasis on pull aparts to look after my shoulders.

Thanks for your support! I think a 140kg deadlift is the thing I want most at the minute. Ultimately I want to aim for a two plate press, three plate bench, four plate squat and five plate deadlift. I’ve got one for bench, pretty sure two for squat when I max and then I’ll have three for deadlift which is kinda the next rung on the ladder. I find it hard to gauge where I’m at though because I just seem to suck at reps on them!

2 Likes

10/02/17 5/3/1 W3D3

Deadlift (TM-100):
20xlots, 60x5, 70x3, 75x5, 85x5, 95x7 (PR), 75x5x5

My warm ups felt pretty heavy so I wasn’t expecting much today. I was also getting a huge lower back pump which wasn’t very comfortable. Then I got to my top set and things felt great, it didn’t feel heavy at all and my back was much better. Rather than just going for it I took a second pause between each rep to make sure they were all identical and it made a huge difference. I might have actually done eight reps, I counted five but felt like I’d done four so I just went with the lower number. My last three sets flew up like they were nothing.
Lower body lifts are really coming along. I’ve got a goal of 100x10 in my head when I attempt it in a couple of weeks.

Dumbbell rows (50 reps):
16x10, 30, 10 each arm

Ab wheel roll-outs superset with push ups:
5x5/ 10, 15, 10, 10, 10

Excellent workout, I’m very happy with progress. A man around his 60s got talking to me during deadlifts and asked to work in. He’d just started working out and was asking me for help and how I did my programming. It was nice to help out and I hope I’m still lifting when I’m that age- he made 75kg look very easy. Going home for the weekend now so there’s lots of good food to look forward to.

2 Likes

12/02/17 5/3/1 W3D4

Press (TM-40) superset with barbell rows:
23x5, 28x5, 33x5, 38x5, 30.5x5x10
I did a set of eight rows between each set with varying body angles using whatever was on the bar for 114 total reps.

I had to do this at home in my garage and didn’t have much time so I just got the main work done and left. I still got a decent pump in my upper body. By the last five or so sets I was very bored so I just rushed through them with about 30s rest between sets. All my presses felt pretty fast.
Finally weighed the bar I was using, turns out it’s only 7lbs so I just called it 3kg hence the weird weights. It definitely feels heavier than my other bar though which is supposed to be 7kg so I wonder what that is.

2 Likes

Do you use standard bar? Standard bar comes in 1" diameter and it weighs 7.5kgs.

I’ve no idea what it is to be honest, it’s just an old cheap one in my garage. Usually I use a 20kg Olympic bar at the gym. I think the other bar I mentioned is a standard 1" one.

1 Like

WEEK 3 SUMMARY

Training:
Two more PRs again so I can’t get much better than that. Presses felt fast but could probably be a good few kg less than I thought with the weights I used. Bench was a little harder than I’d have liked, possibly just fatigue from training three days in a row and kickboxing, we will see tomorrow.

Diet:
I went home for the weekend so Friday, Saturday and Sunday were somewhat free for all’s with regards to diet and I didn’t track anything. I did eat out quite a bit though so the calories were probably there just not ideal sources or macros.
The other days of the week I took my fish oil and vitamins every day and ate fairly decent. Average calories and protein for those four days was 2940 and 171g respectively. Only got weighed once and was 85.4kg. That’s the same weight for three weeks now so depending what I am tomorrow I may try to up calories by a 100 or so. No alcohol at all this week but less fruit and vegetables.

Other:
I didn’t do any band or neck work just because I was already beat up and wanted to recover as much as possible. Went to a kickboxing session and I really enjoyed it so I’m keen to attend at least one session a week again. Worked on mobility once using a lacrosse ball for the first time and discovered lots of new tight spots which I want to hammer this week.

3 Likes