Caesium32's Log - Cycling With a Side of Lifting

07/04/17
Active recovery/conditioning

BW circuit:
20 band pull aparts, 15 squats, 10 push ups, 5 chins
20 band pull aparts, 12 squats, 8 push ups, 4 chins…
…20 band pull aparts, 3 squats, 2 push ups, 1 chin

I’ll probably do something like this more often, it gets my heart going and a little bit of a sweat but it’s not enough to eat into my recovery.

I’ve been doing a lot of stretching sort of stuff the last few days with my spare time and upped to four fish oil tablets daily instead of two. The middle left side of my back has been locking up recently when I bend down and I have to sort of crack it first. My SI joint has also flared up a few times in the last two weeks so I’m being careful with it. Funny this happens when the intensity, frequency and volume of my training has been reduced.

2 Likes

08/04/17

Bench press:
5x20, 5x40, 5x60

Squat:
2x5x20, 5x60, 5x80

Hang power clean:
3x20, 5x3x40

Probably should have stuck with 30kg for a bit longer until I’ve got the technique down more- with 40kg I’m just muscling it up and a lot of the reps look different. Nice to experience some heavier weight with it but will move back down next week.

Dumbell rows:
5x10x22

I think this is the heaviest dumbbell I’ve rowed because I usually go for higher reps. Definitely felt it in my mid and upper back. I want to focus more on these the next couple of months and see what I can work up to for around 10 reps. I do them quite strict and on a flat bench so I’m quite horizontal, the stretch at the bottom seems to be the bit I feel the most.

2 Likes

10/07/17

Squat superset with bench press:
2x5x20, 5x60, 5x5x75/ 2x10x20, 5x40, 5x5x60

Probably easier than last week. Wore my weightlifting shoes today and squat technique feels really solid.

Bench I’m not sure about; I was experimenting with pinning my shoulders back after each rep today which seemed to make the bar harder to control, also not sure what I’m doing with my hand/wrist positioning. I got a video of the last set which I don’t think looks too bad, you can see me tuck my shoulder blades again after the second rep.

Deadlift:
5x60, 5x95

Apt name because I felt pretty dead. Both double overhand.

Dumbbell rows:
20x22 both sides

Going to try and beat this next week. I’ve noticed no matter which hand I start with the second one is a lot harder so I think on future AMRAP sets I might take a minute in between hands.

Need to stop doing this workout first thing in the morning with a basically empty stomach. Took about an hour.

4 Likes

12/04/17

Seated overhead press superset with lat pull-down:
3x10x25/ 3x12

Squat superset with front rack hold:
2x5x20, 5x40, 2x5x60/ 40x10s, 60x10s, 60x20s

These weren’t very fun, I had some bad DOMS in my hamstrings and glutes. Then I think I misplaced the bar on my back for the first set of 60kg and pulled my left glute/hip a bit, we’ll see how it feels later.

Hang power clean: 3x5x20

Just some light practice, trying to explode more and experimenting with grip.

Hanging leg raise superset with hanging from bar:
3x5/ 3x10s

It was a lot harder to hang from the bar than I’d like it to be but it stretched out my back a bit. Finished up with some stretching, mostly my hips.

5 Likes

I find hanging from a bar pretty humbling lol. Keep killing it man.

2 Likes

Do you do these from the floor or hang? Mine is about 2 inches out more than what a traditional deadlift would be. It helps me push my elbows through and catch the with my wrists just outside my shoulders.

From the hang, I forgot to add that, I don’t think I’m ready to try from the floor yet.

I watched a video and they mentioned setting up with the bar in the crease of your hips when you let your arms hang. My arms are pretty long though so this made it a pretty wide grip. What do you think?

You are going to have to experiment a bit. That que makes sense for a snatch because you make contact at the hip, but for the clean it’s like right under your nuts lol. I would say mid thigh to upper thigh depending on your anatomy. Do you keep a full grip of the bar when you clean or do you let it go into your palms/fingertips?

I’ll definitely watch a few more videos and things on it and play around, I figure messing with the bar a few times a week won’t be a big deal recovery wise.
I’m not sure how I grip it without trying it to be honest, I never really think about it.

Thanks though.

1 Like

This video is not the best, but it gives some great ques.

Thanks I’ll check it out!

Thanks! I remember in Bulgaria on the busiest street there was a guy with a pull up bar offering £100 to anyone who could hang for two minutes and it cost like £1 a go. I saw probably 20 people try over that holiday and no one won, it’s been somewhat of a goal of mine since.

3 Likes

Google ThibArmy. Go to the blog. On page 6 there are two videos for cleans. The first is about catch drills and the second is titled Olympic Lifting Series: Working Toward the Hang Clean.

Tons of other great videos too.

I’d heard a bit about that and been meaning to check it out but totally forgot, thank you!

It’s the best way I’ve ever heard it explained so as long as that video is online I refer people there. No sense in trying to repeat CT when I can send you to the source.

1 Like

Try pause cleans when you decide to start pulling off the floor. It lets you slow down the movement while you are learning it. Also I am 100% certain they were referring to snatches. I personally clean and jerk with my hands 5 or so inches each within where I would have them for snatches.

That would make more sense. Thanks for the tip, where would you pause?

At the knees, it should be right about where you transition from the first to second pull.

2 Likes

13/07/14
Active recovery/conditioning

Decided to go run a few hills in the woods near my house. There’s an absolute monster of a hill to run up so I took it easy (mostly because the little I did nearly killed me anyway). I took some photos and posted them below.

Brisk walk (~10 mins)
Jog, lots of smaller hills (~10 mins)
Two hill sprints/runs/stumbles on the big one

View of big hill from top:

From bottom:

Started off running at about 70% and really went for it once it got steep but both times I was walking/stumbling trying to stay on my feet by the top. Feels great to be back somewhere I spent so much of my childhood. I’m going to conquer that hill by next October.

Finished with a slower walk home then lots of stretching.

7 Likes

Damn bro, I’d be doing those hill sprints multiple times a week! That’s nice!

1 Like