T Nation

Caesium32's Log - Cycling With a Side of Lifting

08/06/21
Bike

3x10 mins in Zone 4

Did this exact same workout with same route, HR etc twice last month and was about 1mph slower both times. Could be a sign of progress.

1 Like

10/06/21
Cycle

Easy endurance ride

Nice steady ride with a couple of guys from the cycling club. For reference how easy it was, average HR was only about 120bpm and at some points was in the high 90s which is about the same as a brisk walk. I’m not sure how much of a training stimulus it’ll provide but at least it’s hours on the bike. More importantly had a great time with some nice company and weather.

I’ve also walked about 5 miles today and yesterday which probably isn’t worth logging alone but is nice for recovery and a bit of extra activity. I’ve a lot more free time now and I’m spending a lot of it being active.

2 Likes

11/06/21

Squat:
5x40
5x45
5x50
3x5x40

OHP:
2x5x30
8x30
3x5x30

Hammer upper-back row: 20x40, 15x50

Hammer dip: 15x70 (PR)

Hammer curl: 10, 20x8s

Decline crunch: 2x10xBW

OHP was taken from the floor and superset with squats. Today I did squats first but will do the reverse next time because it made it hard to brace for OHP when breathing heavy.

The squats finally felt half decent although hard to say much with such light weight. Was able to do a few of the reps explosively enough that I came onto my tiptoes. Once again had me sweating lots but I like it.

2 Likes

13/06/21
Cycle

Missed my usual club ride as something came up so just did a hard short one instead. About as hard as I’ve gone on a bike so far and not surprising looking at my HR data. That’ll take a couple of days to recover from.

I went fast though - I set PRs on 31 of the 32 Strava segments I rode. The one where I didn’t was as I was cooling down a bit just before home

1 Like

14/06/21

Bench press:
5x50
3x55
11x65
3x5x50

RDL:
5x75
5x85
5x95
3x5x75

Seated dumbbell OHP: 15, 10x12.5s

Lat pull-down: 7x72, 8x54

Decline crunch: 2x11xBW

Adductors: 30x20, 15x30

Good workout and lots to be pleased with. That bench topset is only three reps shy of my PR but I’m about 10kg lighter and have had a lot less practice with the movement. RDLs were fast and assistance felt good too. Biggest improvement since last week though is how much less tiring and how much easier the workout was. Last week was warmer so that could play a part but I think my body has just adapted to this sort of work already and my conditioning is shining through. Up to the top set, the only rest between sets was to change plates, I never actually stopped moving, then when I wasn’t changing weights it was about a minute. I’m very conscious not to turn the lifting sessions into conditioning ones, that’s not why I’m doing them, but right now I just don’t need more rest.

I also got weighed this morning for the first time in about a month and I’m about 1kg heavier. I’ve been eating completely intuitively since then with A LOT of meals out so I’m very happy with that. In general I think my diet has been good recently.

My plan for now is to try and drop a bit more fat over the next month or so then maintain until the end of summer as I ramp up my cycling volume. After that it’s full steam ahead with muscle gaining and unless I get too fat I don’t plan to go into a deficit until late winter/early spring 2022.

2 Likes