T Nation

Cable Pull-Throughs

I gotta admit I’ve never done them.

Currently re-habbing a lower back issue that makes deadlifting contra-indicated.

Maybe I can start doing these because the weight is more forward and backwards rather than directly compressive…

Is it possible to go heavy on them, because maybe if you go heavier than your bodyweight, you will just topple over backwards. Anyone done them heavier than bw?

Also, assuming progressive overload, would it come close to the deadlift in terms of packing meat on your ass and hamstrings?

ANOTHER thread???

[quote]alternate wrote:
I gotta admit I’ve never done them.
[/quote]

LOL - go to the gym and learn for yourself for once.

[quote]yolo84 wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
I gotta admit I’ve never done them.
[/quote]

LOL - go to the gym and learn for yourself for once.[/quote]

quoted for the mother fucking truth!

No. To each question.

Also, KB swings>Cable Pull-Throughs IMO.

DO them and find out.

I’ve done them with lower body injuries just fine.

I’ve gone as high as 8 plates (on the old olympic plate-loaded cable set-up).

And they are much superior to KB swings for the purpose of constant tension on the hamstrings and glutes. KB swings are superior in other ways. Pull-throughs are a better bodybuilding exercise.

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
DO them and find out.

I’ve done them with lower body injuries just fine.

I’ve gone as high as 8 plates (on the old olympic plate-loaded cable set-up).

And they are much superior to KB swings for the purpose of constant tension on the hamstrings and glutes. KB swings are superior in other ways. Pull-throughs are a better bodybuilding exercise.[/quote]
This, is a good point.
Sometimes it’s hard for me to get out of Athlete-Mode and in to Bodybuilder-Mode.

The simple answer is…No; you can’t go heavy on them.
IMO they are great for rehab/active rest work…more about tension than load.

[quote]iVoodoo wrote:

[quote]Aragorn wrote:
DO them and find out.

I’ve done them with lower body injuries just fine.

I’ve gone as high as 8 plates (on the old olympic plate-loaded cable set-up).

And they are much superior to KB swings for the purpose of constant tension on the hamstrings and glutes. KB swings are superior in other ways. Pull-throughs are a better bodybuilding exercise.[/quote]
This, is a good point.
Sometimes it’s hard for me to get out of Athlete-Mode and in to Bodybuilder-Mode.[/quote]

Haha, hey it happens to the best of us. I have the same problem with PL mode…

Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?

[quote]alternate wrote:
Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?[/quote]

Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?[/quote]

Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy[/quote]

Think you misunderstand - I was contraindicated against spinal loading for life!!

Not until I ‘get better’ because I have a structural pelvic problem that the doctor says will never be fixed.

Therefore, I can’t just think about getting better so I can deadlift again, I have to think about how I can gain mass on the posterior chain without them.

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:
Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy[/quote]

Think you misunderstand - I was contraindicated against spinal loading for life!!

Not until I ‘get better’ because I have a structural pelvic problem that the doctor says will never be fixed.

Therefore, I can’t just think about getting better so I can deadlift again, I have to think about how I can gain mass on the posterior chain without them.[/quote]

I don’t mean this offensively… but if this is the case, why are you asking in the Bodybuilding forum?

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?[/quote]

Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy[/quote]

Think you misunderstand - I was contraindicated against spinal loading for life!!

Not until I ‘get better’ because I have a structural pelvic problem that the doctor says will never be fixed.

Therefore, I can’t just think about getting better so I can deadlift again, I have to think about how I can gain mass on the posterior chain without them.[/quote]

Ahh I did misunderstand. Pull-throughs are a good exercise but do not work the entire posterior chain. Make sure you cover the rest of it with other exercises. I do not have knowledge about your injury so I will not make recommendations. As far as heavier weights on the pull-throughs try putting a couple of plates behind your feet.

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?[/quote]

Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy[/quote]

Think you misunderstand - I was contraindicated against spinal loading for life!!

Not until I ‘get better’ because I have a structural pelvic problem that the doctor says will never be fixed.

Therefore, I can’t just think about getting better so I can deadlift again, I have to think about how I can gain mass on the posterior chain without them.[/quote]

Ahh I did misunderstand. Pull-throughs are a good exercise but do not work the entire posterior chain. Make sure you cover the rest of it with other exercises. I do not have knowledge about your injury so I will not make recommendations. As far as heavier weights on the pull-throughs try putting a couple of plates behind your feet.
[/quote]

Cheers, what other exercises would you recommend to ‘complement’ the pull-throughs, in that case?

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:

[quote]Iron_Made wrote:

[quote]alternate wrote:
Bret Contreras said he did them with 260lbs, using 2x4’s placed behind his heels.

Does anyone have a vid of that kind of set-up?

And done that way, is it a legit muscle-builder/safer deadlift alternative for those unable to handle the compressive spinal load?[/quote]

Are you really asking if the cable pull-through is an effective alternative to a deadlift?

Edit: Also if you are injured/in rehab your primary goal should be to regain full function, not hypertrophy[/quote]

Think you misunderstand - I was contraindicated against spinal loading for life!!

Not until I ‘get better’ because I have a structural pelvic problem that the doctor says will never be fixed.

Therefore, I can’t just think about getting better so I can deadlift again, I have to think about how I can gain mass on the posterior chain without them.[/quote]

Ahh I did misunderstand. Pull-throughs are a good exercise but do not work the entire posterior chain. Make sure you cover the rest of it with other exercises. I do not have knowledge about your injury so I will not make recommendations. As far as heavier weights on the pull-throughs try putting a couple of plates behind your feet.
[/quote]

Cheers, what other exercises would you recommend to ‘complement’ the pull-throughs, in that case?[/quote]

Can you do reverse hypers? You would also need to find some sort of row to hit your back effectively. In your case I would recommend something chest-supported in order to minimize spinal loading. I have never had lowerback issues though so I do not have “under the bar” experience for this. I would check out some of Ben Bruno’s work, he has a couple ideas on how to train around injuries.

[quote]alternate wrote:
I gotta admit I’ve never done them.

Currently re-habbing a lower back issue that makes deadlifting contra-indicated.

Maybe I can start doing these because the weight is more forward and backwards rather than directly compressive…

Is it possible to go heavy on them, because maybe if you go heavier than your bodyweight, you will just topple over backwards. Anyone done them heavier than bw?

Also, assuming progressive overload, would it come close to the deadlift in terms of packing meat on your ass and hamstrings?[/quote]

What do you mean by heavy? Weight that allows you to complete less than 8 reps might be considered “heavy lifting” by some, but low reps generally aren’t a good idea for cable and machine and isolation exercises.

Progressive overload can lead to more muscle mass with ANY exercise, albeit in varying degrees.

No, it’s not an alternate to the deadlift, just like there’s no alternate to the squat, just different variations.

PS: My usual disclaimer: I TRULY don’t want to sound like a dick! However, inquiries like these show the poster has far more learning to do and isn’t in a good spot for this thing, if he ever will be.

Honestly they will be difficult at first, but most people will max the stack pretty quickly. They will never be a huge mass builder like heavy deads.

Honestly they will be difficult at first, but most people will max the stack pretty quickly. They will never be a huge mass builder like heavy deads.