T Nation

CA Gas Prices Soar Overnight

I have no defense , if it does not comply with your standards of nonpartisan Group, why did you choose Simon Mui from the group ?

About Us

NRDC is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.3 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of more than 350 lawyers, scientists and other professionals.

[quote]atypical1 wrote:
I would like to think that the rise in gas prices will ultimately change consumer behavior causing them to move closer to work, buy vehicles that are more appropriate to their driving style, and drive less. But I know that’s not going to be the case.

Personally I’m OK with the gas prices and it doesn’t impact me as much as it does others. I’ve got a short commute, a paid for truck, and typically buy groceries that are locally sourced (as best possible). Bring on $10 a gallon gas. And yes, I’m perfectly OK with people leaving the state because it’s too expensive.

Unfortunately some amount of clean air regs are a necessity simply due to the amount of cars we have traveling on our highways. I’m lucky to live somewhere with relatively good air quality but there’s a lot of people who live in areas that don’t have that luxury.

james[/quote]

Oh no Bucky, you don’t get off that easy.

This does impact you, because it impacts everyone. When gas goes up (for no good reason in this case), everything else goes up. Food, energy, etc also go up. Have you seen your electric bill recently? It has steadily increased by 30%, you just don’t notice it because it is being nickeled-and-dimed just a little bit at a time. Our Dept of Water and Power just approved a rate increase by 11%, and that is for this year alone.

As far as the air regs, you must be smokin’ some shag weed that Pitt gave you. Global fucking warming is useless if China and India are not on board with us. Notice how our (Cali’s) constant motto is “when Cali talks, the US listens”? Well
No one else followed us off that global warming cliff. We are 38 million among a country of 300 million," (barely 10%) and among 7 billion of the entire planet Earf. 1800 jobs lost from Campbell Soup and Comcast Inc. in just one day alone, I’m sure Oregon, Texas, and Colorado are thanking us right now for it. An interesting comparison I would like to make… Spain also has High Speed Rail and Global Warming Laws, and they also sport an unemployment rate of 35%. Do we really want to follow that?

Chushin- I am not leaving, it’s gonna go down with me in an exit-bag, naked and screaming. I am not going to miss this party for shit.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I have no defense , if it does not comply with your standards of nonpartisan Group, why did you choose Simon Mui from the group ?

About Us

NRDC is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.3 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of more than 350 lawyers, scientists and other professionals.[/quote]

Just curious, You seem more concerned with the environment compared to your own lungs when smoking weed.

Can I call that comedic irony ?

The tax-cows subsidize the overlord’s jumbo-jets and automobile caravans while not even being able to afford a full tank of gas to get to work…? That’s just criminal!

Our moral and loving leaders should declare a moratorium on governmental transportation until supply is no longer an issue.

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I have no defense , if it does not comply with your standards of nonpartisan Group, why did you choose Simon Mui from the group ?

[/quote]

I just cut off the .pdf portion of your link. Which means it came from his space on the site…

Breaking News. Burger King releases study that fast food actually promotes weight loss.

[quote]tmay11 wrote:
Pitt -

If oil companies have such control over prices why did they let oil crash to $35/barrel in 08/09 and then let it stay sub $50 for over 6 months?

Are you aware that most of the Canadian oil sands oil has a marginal cost of $60 + ? (and remember that this is the cost of producing the unrefined product…)

Are you aware that most of the large oil companies are public companies and as such, you have full access to their financial statements ?

Here are the most recent profit margins for some well known companies:

Exon - 10.37%
Shell- 5.52%
BP - 4.58%

Outrageous isn’t it ? Getting 5 bucks in your pocket for every $100 in sales !! [/quote]

some proof please and how much time is that investment for if it is a day (That’s pretty fucking good) if it’s for a year ( not so good )

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
some proof please and how much time is that investment for if it is a day (That’s pretty fucking good) if it’s for a year ( not so good )[/quote]

Ummm…you do know how ratios work, don’t you?

That percentage is total return on investment regardless of how long the period is measured over.

Obviously, total revenue over one day is much less than revenue over a year.

[quote]countingbeans wrote:

Breaking News. Burger King releases study that fast food actually promotes weight loss.

In other news, the tobacco industry just released a study that smoking is good for you…

Yawn.

[/quote]

There is some irony in your nonsense

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
some proof please and how much time is that investment for if it is a day (That’s pretty fucking good) if it’s for a year ( not so good )[/quote]

Ummm…you do know how ratios work, don’t you?

That percentage is total return on investment regardless of how long the period is measured over.

Obviously, total revenue over one day is much less than revenue over a year.[/quote]

No I don’t I understand interest and time . The term ratio sounds like it could have more than one meaning

Math is hard:

Profit = Total Revenue - Expenses

Percent Profit = Profit/Total Revenue

Dates are not necessary to calculate a ratio.

[quote]MaximusB wrote:
Oh no Bucky, you don’t get off that easy.

This does impact you, because it impacts everyone. When gas goes up (for no good reason in this case), everything else goes up. Food, energy, etc also go up. Have you seen your electric bill recently? It has steadily increased by 30%, you just don’t notice it because it is being nickeled-and-dimed just a little bit at a time. Our Dept of Water and Power just approved a rate increase by 11%, and that is for this year alone.

As far as the air regs, you must be smokin’ some shag weed that Pitt gave you. Global fucking warming is useless if China and India are not on board with us. Notice how our (Cali’s) constant motto is “when Cali talks, the US listens”? Well
No one else followed us off that global warming cliff. We are 38 million among a country of 300 million," (barely 10%) and among 7 billion of the entire planet Earf. 1800 jobs lost from Campbell Soup and Comcast Inc. in just one day alone, I’m sure Oregon, Texas, and Colorado are thanking us right now for it. An interesting comparison I would like to make… Spain also has High Speed Rail and Global Warming Laws, and they also sport an unemployment rate of 35%. Do we really want to follow that?

Chushin- I am not leaving, it’s gonna go down with me in an exit-bag, naked and screaming. I am not going to miss this party for shit. [/quote]

lol…

Our power bill is pretty minimal. We don’t have AC (pretty much par for the course in an old house on the coast). We don’t really need to use heat or air for that matter except for a handful of weeks a year. We’re renters and water is included in the rent so we’re isolated from those costs quite well.

I’m not talking about global warming at all when I mention about clean air regs. The climate is changing but I don’t know if it’s us or just the normal cycle of the planet. I would guess that it might be a bit of both. But that’s not what I’m talking about. I’m not sure what part of California that you’re from but here in SoCal there’s areas where the air quality is terrible and that’s not healthy for any of us. We should be doing our best to cut that pollution down if for no other reason that it reduces cancer rates, breathing disorders, etc. But I remember when it was worse than this and when it was always dangerous to breath the air in L.A. Of course my parents remember when it was a lot better.

james

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Math is hard:

Profit = Total Revenue - Expenses

Percent Profit = Profit/Total Revenue

Dates are not necessary to calculate a ratio.[/quote]

dates may not be crucial to calculate a ratio but it is very crucial to tell if it is agood investment. I I bye a hose this morning at $100,000 and sell it this afternoon at $105,000 I would love a %5 return everyday on my investment

[quote]MaximusB wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:
I have no defense , if it does not comply with your standards of nonpartisan Group, why did you choose Simon Mui from the group ?

About Us

NRDC is the nation’s most effective environmental action group, combining the grassroots power of 1.3 million members and online activists with the courtroom clout and expertise of more than 350 lawyers, scientists and other professionals.[/quote]

Just curious, You seem more concerned with the environment compared to your own lungs when smoking weed.

Can I call that comedic irony ? [/quote]

I worry more about my lungs from my job than I do about the amout of weed I smoke I am guessing over the last 5 years it would be a pile of weed the size of a cigarette pack ?

Max - I suppose that my point is that my wife, son, and I live well within our means. Does higher gas prices mean less available free cash? Sure, but going to the beach or park is free. Our cars are all paid for and Toyota products so they should both last for $300k. We rent a house on the coast and it’s near to both of our work and our son’s school. And we make enough money so that we’re fairly well insulated from these price spikes.

And yes, there is a lot of misinformation about oil company subsidies.

james

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Math is hard:

Profit = Total Revenue - Expenses

Percent Profit = Profit/Total Revenue

Dates are not necessary to calculate a ratio.[/quote]

dates may not be crucial to calculate a ratio but it is very crucial to tell if it is agood investment. I I bye a hose this morning at $100,000 and sell it this afternoon at $105,000 I would love a %5 return everyday on my investment [/quote]

So! making 5% today does not guarantee you 5% tomorrow.

Everyday one’s expenses and revenues can be completely different from the previous day.

In order to make profits a business must first spend money on production (expenses) and then satisfy customers wants.

Returning 5% per day or 5% per year requires lots of diligence and hard work and to complain about the piddly profits that businesses make misses the finer points of what wealth creation means.

Apple’s profit margin is like 30%. I’m still waiting for all the hippies to boycott and protest them.

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:

[quote]pittbulll wrote:

[quote]LIFTICVSMAXIMVS wrote:
Math is hard:

Profit = Total Revenue - Expenses

Percent Profit = Profit/Total Revenue

Dates are not necessary to calculate a ratio.[/quote]

dates may not be crucial to calculate a ratio but it is very crucial to tell if it is agood investment. I I bye a hose this morning at $100,000 and sell it this afternoon at $105,000 I would love a %5 return everyday on my investment [/quote]

So! making 5% today does not guarantee you 5% tomorrow.

Everyday one’s expenses and revenues can be completely different from the previous day.

In order to make profits a business must first spend money on production (expenses) and then satisfy customers wants.

Returning 5% per day or 5% per year requires lots of diligence and hard work and to complain about the piddly profits that businesses make misses the finer points of what wealth creation means.[/quote]

I am sorry I do not get your point , what did I say that you disagree with ?

@lifty Are you saying you do not care the amount of time your investment takes to make %5 return ?

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Apple’s profit margin is like 30%. I’m still waiting for all the hippies to boycott and protest them.[/quote]

I think nobody cares because (1) they see Apple as an “alternative” type of corporation and (2) you don’t really need an Apple product. It’s a lot easier to charge a lot for something that is considered a luxury.

james

[quote]DoubleDuce wrote:
Apple’s profit margin is like 30%. I’m still waiting for all the hippies to boycott and protest them.[/quote]

Ironically, I know some hippies who think an iPad should be subsidized by government for every school child to make education “more fair”.

Of course, they also believe Apple’s shareholders, etc., should not be able to keep the profits for providing all these iPads.