C5-C6 Disc Injury

So well over a year ago I had a severe upper neck strain. I just got diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with a slight or the start of a bulging disc in the C5-C6 area.

I have tension through my neck which seems to be worsening. I also have muscle tensions/knots/spasm in the levator scapula/trap area. I did have bicep tendonitis but that seems to have gotten under control with oral anti-inflam. and rest.

I just started physical therapy back. So far not impressed. They actually did something today which made my thumb go numb (new). So needless to say I was not pleased.

My area seems to be ass backwards when it comes to health and I question if I can find a good PT.

I also had blood work done over 3 months ago. I had low testosterone/low progesterone/and high TSH levels.

I did a pretty hardcore PCT cycle trying to get me started for 4 months. It has helped. Anyways I mention this because I read a post by one of the knowledgable gurus here that said low testosterone can affect soft tissue healing. I go back next Tuesday for blood work to see where I am at. If its not back to normal I am saying to hell with it and going on TRT.

Anyways would like to hear view points, personal experiences, or anything that could help me.

Also how can I go about finding a half decent physical therapist?

Thanks folks

Btris

I had C5-C7 fusion several years ago and I am very pleased with the results. PT was never really an option for me, so I can’t help you there. If you end up heading down the sugery route, I can tell you my situation played out.

Good luck.

LA

Had a c5-c6 fusion 4 years ago. It has been great. I tried medicine, chiro’s, and PT. All that did was delay the inevitable. I got so weak from the disc pinching a nerve that I could not do 1 push-up. Request an mri to see the extent of the bulge.

Jay

Have you tried taking a few weeks off from all activity? I have 2 bulging disks c5-6 and 6-7. I’m healing slowly but surely and the best progress I’ve made so far was when I took a full week off. I should be taking my own advice too.

[quote]Wilba wrote:
Have you tried taking a few weeks off from all activity? I have 2 bulging disks c5-6 and 6-7. I’m healing slowly but surely and the best progress I’ve made so far was when I took a full week off. I should be taking my own advice too. [/quote]

Yes I have taken several weeks off and even a couple of months off on and off for the past year. The pain leaves when I do this but as soon as I start lifting again I have pain. I am trying to do real light weight and nothing that overloads the axial.

[quote]malenightingale wrote:
Had a c5-c6 fusion 4 years ago. It has been great. I tried medicine, chiro’s, and PT. All that did was delay the inevitable. I got so weak from the disc pinching a nerve that I could not do 1 push-up. Request an mri to see the extent of the bulge.

Jay[/quote]

My issue is not weakness or numbness. It is upper neck,trap, and levator scapula spasms/chronic tightness.

[quote]bushidobadboy wrote:

[quote]Btris wrote:
Also how can I go about finding a half decent physical therapist?

Thanks folks

Btris[/quote]

You don’t. You find a GOOD chiro or osteomyologist. Someone who really understands the spine, not just muscles and exercise.

Been seeing a chiro the past year and had no luck. The guy never even called for an xray or mri because it was on and off again. He is pretty knowledgable but I feel is highly disorganized and scatter brained.

Told me the other day I just need to put my heavy lifting days behind me.

I looked up osteomyologist and those are found more in the UK which is where I am assuming you live. I live in Alabama and there is a lack of really good doctors in the area. That or I have not found them.

You will develop spinal fixations in other areas of your cervico-thoracic spine, due to abberant movement patterns resulting from your discal dysfunction.

Would type more; gotta go and be a naked butler again :slight_smile:

BBB[/quote]

Thanks to everyone so far that has chimed in.

I just want to know if I am going to live with chronic tightness and discomfort the rest of my life.

Am I going to ever be able to lift heavy in any movements again?

Will playing golf hurt the disc further?

What movements do you guys think I should avoid and what should I focus on doing?

I know these are alot of questions. If you guys even have books that you can recommend that would be great.

I am trying to do light weight and slowly build up volume to help keep pain and damage to a minimal.

Anything pressing on my neck aggravates it. Driving shoulder into the bench for bench press or the bar while squating are 2 of the worst. Deads for reps where I rip the bar quickly does it to. chins, pullups, dips loaded to the max are fine. Overhead press doesn’t bother me either. I’m think of joining a gym again for a while so I can use the leg press instead of squating and the hammer chest machine instead of flat bench. I train at home with a rack so my options are limited with my current situation.

Given that you’ve reached pain free staus once or more since the initial injury and it has returned after resuming training I would take a long hard look at your posture. Bad posture in general life usually translates to bad psoture while training. Stretch those pecs, pick that head up, chest up, sit up straight, etc.

The problem with bulging discs is that once they pop out, they have a tendency to do it repeatedly. Usually you need to do traction or a fusion. Traction may be an option if you caught your bulg early. Mine was huge and impeding on a nerve. If you continue to irritate it, it will only get worse. Hope this helps.