T Nation

C.H.E.K. Practitioners?

Anyone here a CHECK practitioner?

I have been looking into their course work and it seems interesting but expensive too. If anyone here has gone through any of the check institutes course please ler me know your thoughts.

Hi there,

I’m a registered kinesiologist and CHEK Practitioner Level 2. I agree the courses are expensive but if you really wanna learn how to design corrective exercise programs through thorough assessments I highly recommend going through the program.

Drop me an email if you have any more questions.
Tyron

Not a lot of people here are too fond of this Chek fella or his program. Just an observation.

You can listen to Alex Jones or Art Bell for free, why pay Paul Chek $5k a month to become a paranoid, new-age conspiracy theorist?

[quote]Ross69 wrote:
You can listen to Alex Jones or Art Bell for free, why pay Paul Chek $5k a month to become a paranoid, new-age conspiracy theorist?

[/quote]

Maybe because he’s a genius?

Just because you don’t agree with everything the guy says, doesn’t mean you can write off all of it.

Read this week’s Atomic Dog & remember that there’s room in this industry for plenty of different approaches, and while Chek’s clearly isn’t for you, it works great for some others.

[quote]Ross69 wrote:
You can listen to Alex Jones or Art Bell for free, why pay Paul Chek $5k a month to become a paranoid, new-age conspiracy theorist?

[/quote]

…with a penchant for bowel training…

Imho, I think it is important to have a base of knowledge before going into a specific ideology.

I would recommend getting NSCA CSCS before you venture outward. A study done by UCLA found that, of all certifications studied, NSCA and ACSM certified practitioners had the highest level of knowledge (these also are two of the only six third-party accredited organizations).

They found no evidence of increased knowledge with experience - meaning the starting point of your knowledge reflects how much you’ll know afterward.

Also keep in mind that organizations such as these are forced to evolve with new research and developments, but a specific philosophy (such as CHEK’s) has the POTENTIAL to stay stagnant when new research contradicts the assertions of the originator.

I thought about getting CHEK once - to be honest, after talking to a lot of people, I realized that people would be more likely to call me into question were I to let it be known I had a CHEK cert. On the other hand, people who are CHEK certified tend to respect other CHEK certified people very highly.

[quote]Killa Cam wrote:
Ross69 wrote:
You can listen to Alex Jones or Art Bell for free, why pay Paul Chek $5k a month to become a paranoid, new-age conspiracy theorist?

Maybe because he’s a genius?

Just because you don’t agree with everything the guy says, doesn’t mean you can write off all of it.

Read this week’s Atomic Dog & remember that there’s room in this industry for plenty of different approaches, and while Chek’s clearly isn’t for you, it works great for some others.[/quote]

He is a genius at getting people to give him their money while he mixes good principals with new age bullshit.

If you are a new age bullshitter go for it. If you have a distaste for that kind of stuff look elsewhere.

Of course I am not a Chekist, I merely have read a ton about him. I find him fascinating.

I just started taking the courses myself and I am currently a CHEK holistic lifestyle coach 1 and a NSCA-CPT.

The reason I think a lot of people are down on the ‘CHEK thing’ is because they aren’t fully aware of what it’s all about or they just happen to be at a different place in their lives.

I’ll be honest, if I was presented with this material even five or six years ago I would’ve laughed my ass off and said it was total bullshit. All I cared about was looking good on the outside at the expense of my insides. I was your typical type-A personality who tried to dominate and control everything and everyone in my life. I treated my body like an amusement park and I eventually paid the price.

I had daily panic attacks, memory and concentration problems, hypoglycemia, insomnia, joint and muscle pain, dizziness, loss of appetite, digestive disturbances, constipation, hallucinations, suicidal depression and eventual chronic fatigue.

After a couple trips to my local E.R. and countless rounds to various doctors, the best that allopathic medicine could offer was Zoloft, sleeping pills and psychiatric counseling.

I carried on like this for almost two years before I read a book tilted, “How to Eat, Move and be healthy.” by Paul Chek. It didn’t contain any miracle cures, but it got me thinking differently about my health challenges. It made me realize that there were alternative approaches that I could take to regain my health and that if I made myself sick, I could also make myself well. It also made me realize that I didn’t get sick over night, so I wasn’t going to get better over night.

As a result, I started studying Chek’s material, took one of his courses (HLC) which truly changed the way I look at the world. It was like the breath of fresh air I had been searching for. Still, I don’t agree with everything he’s preaches because I draw my learning from a number of different sources. But you know what, Chek even encourages his students to think in this way.

Any good CHEK practitioner will tell you that they are not afraid to admit they don’t have all of the answers and will gladly refer you out to someone who does. I was referred to a doctor through the CHEK institute who is skilled and knowledgeable when it comes to dealing with my myriad of health issues.

In the dealings I have had thus far with the CHEK institute, they all seem to genuinely care about the welfare of their fellow human beings and the planet at large. Why do some people have such a problem with that? Yes, the courses are pricey but the information you learn is world class and it makes me feel good knowing I can one day apply that knowledge in serving others.

I have watched my own family members struggle with fibromyalgia, breast cancer, depression, autism and fatal brain cancer. It’s my hope that I can continue to learn as much as I can through the CHEK institute (and others) so that I might play a small role in helping prevent these horrible occurrences from happening again.

Of course, if your main goals in life are bigger biceps and rock hard abs so you can bang more chicks, than the CHEK programs are probably not for you at this time. But there is a zen or taoist saying that goes something like this:

“When the student is ready, the teacher appears.”

This was definitely true in my case.

Jason

Shugart interviewed him a while back. Here is the article.

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=885647&pageNo=0

You will get some answers to your question by reading some of the feedback left by T-Nation readers.

I haven’t read much of his material but I know alot of people in the fitness industry are turned off by his teachings. Mel Siff has proven him wrong on many occasions. Siff has even shown how Chek’s training advice is unsafe (e.g. sucking in your stomach while squatting). Which makes me question why anybody would pay so much money for a qualification that is questionable and often mocked in the industry.

This website has a great debate about Chek. I think you will reconsider your CHEK certification after reading this thread.

http://www.freetrainers.com/FT/jsp/Message.jsp?f_ix=15&t_ix=1032

Be sure to read the comments left by some donkey named “null”. She takes shots at the T-Nation readers. Here is a quote from her post.

“Another point to make here is who is replying about Chek on “T-Nation” of all places. I’ve personally been in many absolutely retarded (for lack of a better word)arguments based on emotion on that site. Most of these guys are the “grunter” types that wear shades and tight lifting pants when they workout. They read a couple studies, maybe a book or two and consider themselves experts worthy of debate on topics as complicated as nutrition.”

[quote]tpa wrote:
Mel Siff has proven him wrong on many occasions. Siff has even shown how Chek’s training advice is unsafe (e.g. sucking in your stomach while squatting).[/quote]

I hurt my back as a newbie by following Chek’s advice, so Siff saved a lot of people a lot of injuries.

Look at the people who are into Check: typical converts. If you want to hang with that crowd, then go for it.

[quote]Jason32 wrote:

I had daily panic attacks, memory and concentration problems, hypoglycemia, insomnia, joint and muscle pain, dizziness, loss of appetite, digestive disturbances, constipation, hallucinations, suicidal depression and eventual chronic fatigue.

After a couple trips to my local E.R. and countless rounds to various doctors, the best that allopathic medicine could offer was Zoloft, sleeping pills and psychiatric counseling.

…[/quote]

You sound like a liar or a lunatic. Posts like this from pro-Chek people really do Chek no favors.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Jason32 wrote:

I had daily panic attacks, memory and concentration problems, hypoglycemia, insomnia, joint and muscle pain, dizziness, loss of appetite, digestive disturbances, constipation, hallucinations, suicidal depression and eventual chronic fatigue.

After a couple trips to my local E.R. and countless rounds to various doctors, the best that allopathic medicine could offer was Zoloft, sleeping pills and psychiatric counseling.

You sound like a liar or a lunatic. Posts like this from pro-Chek people really do Chek no favors.[/quote]

Yeah right… I’m a liar because I’m willing to tell the truth about my own health issues and how I am going about correcting them using many of the CHEK principles. Man, paul is gonna kick my ass for making his business look bad!

Be my guest and have a look at my previous posts here on T-Nation, some are just for fun of course, whereas others are posted because I have learned a lot in my quest for genuine health and I want to share that with others in need. Can you say the same?

[quote]tpa wrote:
“Another point to make here is who is replying about Chek on “T-Nation” of all places. I’ve personally been in many absolutely retarded (for lack of a better word)arguments based on emotion on that site. Most of these guys are the “grunter” types that wear shades and tight lifting pants when they workout. They read a couple studies, maybe a book or two and consider themselves experts worthy of debate on topics as complicated as nutrition.”
[/quote]

She’s not wrong.

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
I have learned a lot in my quest for genuine health and I want to share that with others in need. Can you say the same?
[/quote]

Close, he’s been called a Dickweed.

Just kidding Zap, I really enjoy your posts.

-Dan

[quote]Jason32 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Jason32 wrote:

I had daily panic attacks, memory and concentration problems, hypoglycemia, insomnia, joint and muscle pain, dizziness, loss of appetite, digestive disturbances, constipation, hallucinations, suicidal depression and eventual chronic fatigue.

After a couple trips to my local E.R. and countless rounds to various doctors, the best that allopathic medicine could offer was Zoloft, sleeping pills and psychiatric counseling.

You sound like a liar or a lunatic. Posts like this from pro-Chek people really do Chek no favors.

Yeah right… I’m a liar because I’m willing to tell the truth about my own health issues and how I am going about correcting them using many of the CHEK principles. Man, paul is gonna kick my ass for making his business look bad!

Be my guest and have a look at my previous posts here on T-Nation, some are just for fun of course, whereas others are posted because I have learned a lot in my quest for genuine health and I want to share that with others in need. Can you say the same?

[/quote]

You cannot expect that anyone believes you had all these conditions and by following Chek you were cured.

Sounds like the typical BS spread by Chek’s followers.

[quote]buffalokilla wrote:
Jason32 wrote:
I have learned a lot in my quest for genuine health and I want to share that with others in need. Can you say the same?

Close, he’s been called a Dickweed.

Just kidding Zap, I really enjoy your posts.

-Dan[/quote]

Thanks Dan. I enjoy clowning around here and try to keep my mouth shut and learn things when people are discussing training, as my background is engineering not this stuff, but outrageous claims set off my BS detector.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Jason32 wrote:
Zap Branigan wrote:
Jason32 wrote:

I had daily panic attacks, memory and concentration problems, hypoglycemia, insomnia, joint and muscle pain, dizziness, loss of appetite, digestive disturbances, constipation, hallucinations, suicidal depression and eventual chronic fatigue.

After a couple trips to my local E.R. and countless rounds to various doctors, the best that allopathic medicine could offer was Zoloft, sleeping pills and psychiatric counseling.

You sound like a liar or a lunatic. Posts like this from pro-Chek people really do Chek no favors.

Yeah right… I’m a liar because I’m willing to tell the truth about my own health issues and how I am going about correcting them using many of the CHEK principles. Man, paul is gonna kick my ass for making his business look bad!

Be my guest and have a look at my previous posts here on T-Nation, some are just for fun of course, whereas others are posted because I have learned a lot in my quest for genuine health and I want to share that with others in need. Can you say the same?

You cannot expect that anyone believes you had all these conditions and by following Chek you were cured.

Sounds like the typical BS spread by Chek’s followers. [/quote]

Zap,

I never said that I was cured, as I am still dealing with a few nagging health issues; although I am a hell of a lot better than I once was.

If you look at my original post, I said I used the CHEK principles as well as others to start on the road to wellness. I don’t expect you to understand, because at times my own family doesn’t understand, but just ask anyone who has dealt with CFS or fibromyalgia and they will tell you.

I hope that you never have to deal with any major health challenges of your own, but if you do, getting help from a qualified CHEK practitioner would not be a bad start.

Jason, from what I’ve seen of people that are attracted to Chek, they have a lot of problems, both physical and psychological.

They are looking for a solution, and he provides what they percieve to be one. This helps them to feel a bit more at ease, and in some cases, superior.

The thing is- A lot of people here are not into wellness. They are allready well. They are looking to take their minds and bodies to a higher level of performance.

Congrats on finding something that works for you, but for others, it simply holds no value. Even with a mimimal amount of training, nutrition, and psychological knowledge, it is easy to see that some of Cheks teachings are not only invalid, but in some cases- dangerous.