Bye Bye Supplements

Am I the only one concerned about all of the talk of the FDA passing more legislation against supplements?! I am certainly not an alarmist, but every website I go to, person I talk to, etc. is saying that the new regulations that are being passed will raise the cost of production 10X! This would be passed off to the consumer who won’t be able to afford it. The company goes out of business, and we are forced to take prescription drugs!

I know a lot of people in here don’t care much about health–only about lifting a lot of weight—but ya know those BCAA capsules and that alpha lipoic acid and that Carbolin 19…well say BYE BYE! Do a google search and sign all of the petitions that you possibly can. www.democracyinaction.com is one decent site…

its a concern. but i don’t loose sleep over it. they’ve been threatening to do this for almost two decades now. plus, this actually works against the pharma companies to a large extent as most pharma companies in recent years have been pushshing for less fda oversight and easier acccess to the over the counter market. wake me in 20 years when congress actually does something

Dont worry, companies will produce supplements in other countries so production cost wont go through the roof.

[quote]SimFire wrote:
Dont worry, companies will produce supplements in other countries so production cost wont go through the roof.

[/quote]

Yes and then they will outlaw us from purchasing them abroad… all for our “safety” though. Gotta love the land of the free!!!

here’s a fucking clue for those of you who think the ‘man’ is out to get you:

the man has no real power unless you act like a chicken without a head. alarmist post = chicken without head.

most decent companies already have quality control in place and it will not take that much for the good companies to comply.

supplement prices are much more likely to rise due to increases in raw material and energy costs.

perhaps instead of being a dickcheese and signing petitions that will be ignored, one could start a group that tries to bridge the gap between excessive oversight and reasonable guidelines. who knows, this way you might even be able to affect the outcome in a positive manner.

think of all the companies selling shit protein. gone. poor quality kitchen sink extract blends. done. penis pills. no more.

wait a minute, that’s it you guys are worried you won’t be able to get penis pills. phew, good thing we got to the bottom of this.

It will drive the scammer companies out of business. Why do you have a problem with this?

Do you have any idea the number of outright frauds there are in the supplement industry? Do you realize that with most brands of supplements, what you read on the label is an outright lie?

Why do you want to protect those companies?

[quote]CaliforniaLaw wrote:
Why do you want to protect those companies?[/quote]

Because it would cost us money. :slight_smile:

It will drive the scammer companies out of business. Why do you have a problem with this?

Do you have any idea the number of outright frauds there are in the supplement industry? Do you realize that with most brands of supplements, what you read on the label is an outright lie?

Exactly. It will highlight the ligit companies and force out the shit ones.

you are right about the crap companies out there!! We need to get rid of them. Unfortunately, allowing government regulation of supplements will not just force out the bad ones. If you read anything on any of the health-related internet sites, you will see that the cost that will be passed down to the consumer will be 10x the current price on average.

When consumers cannot purchase these supplements, the companies will be forced out of business. We have already seen the government stick its nose in Biotest’s business several times. I don’t think you guys realize the power that the pharmaceutical companies have. When compared to supplement companies, it’s not even CLOSE!!!

[quote]rehabman28 wrote:
you are right about the crap companies out there!! We need to get rid of them. Unfortunately, allowing government regulation of supplements will not just force out the bad ones. If you read anything on any of the health-related internet sites, you will see that the cost that will be passed down to the consumer will be 10x the current price on average.

When consumers cannot purchase these supplements, the companies will be forced out of business. We have already seen the government stick its nose in Biotest’s business several times. I don’t think you guys realize the power that the pharmaceutical companies have. When compared to supplement companies, it’s not even CLOSE!!! [/quote]

yes, the government stuck its nose in Biotest’s business when it was manufacturing steroids. legally though and it was a fine product. but if ‘real’ sauce was illegal, so to must prohormones be. as a user of steroids, i definately have bones to pick about how laws are structured regarding steroids, but classifying prohormones as steroids was appropriate.

10 TIMES!

no offense (and i often mean to offend), but are you on crack? even the UK guys only pay 2-2.5 times what we do and they have to deal with duties and a 20% VAT (value added tax for those of us North Americans lucky enough to see such taxes in the 0-10% range) on top of shipping and operating a warehouse and making a profit so it does not follow that prices will rise that drastically. worst case scenario is a 50% increase and i would say 10% is more likely.

pharmaceutical companies have power because people think medicine cures and will pop pills without thinking twice about all the other things they can do to improve health. who begs for the new drugs that may save them, that’s right, the patient. corporations respond to market demand, just like the underground steroid market.

at the end of the day the owness is on the customer (buyer beware) to inform themselves or seek expert advice, failing that you can blame the evil men when all goes wrong after you neglected due dilligence.

until the average person’s approach to health becomes a proactive one, i would not even expect things to change with the way society regards and uses medicine.

[quote]ubl0 wrote:
rehabman28 wrote:

When consumers cannot purchase these supplements, the companies will be forced out of business. We have already seen the government stick its nose in Biotest’s business several times. I don’t think you guys realize the power that the pharmaceutical companies have. When compared to supplement companies, it’s not even CLOSE!!!

yes, the government stuck its nose in Biotest’s business when it was manufacturing steroids. legally though and it was a fine product. but if ‘real’ sauce was illegal, so to must prohormones be. as a user of steroids, i definately have bones to pick about how laws are structured regarding steroids, but classifying prohormones as steroids was appropriate.

10 TIMES!

no offense (and i often mean to offend), but are you on crack? even the UK guys only pay 2-2.5 times what we do and they have to deal with duties and a 20% VAT (value added tax for those of us North Americans lucky enough to see such taxes in th 0-10% range) on top of shipping and operating a warehouse and making a profit so it does not follow that prices will rise that drastically. worst case scenario is a 50% increase and i would say 10% is more likely.

pharmaceutical companies have power because people think medicine cures and will pop pills without thinking twice about all the other things they can do to improve health. who begs for the new drugs that may save them, that’s right, the patient. corporations respond to market demand, just like the underground steroid market.

at the end of the day the owness is on the customer (buyer beware) to inform themselves or seek expert advice, failing that you can blame the evil men when all goes wrong after you neglected due dilligence.

until the average person’s approach to health becomes a proactive one, i would not even expect things to change with the way society regards and uses medicine.[/quote]

word

CaliLaw supported more government power grabs under the guise of protecting us? Who would have thunk.

Bring up supplement prices high enough, or get rid of them all together, and I bet we’ll see lots more, younger aas users in the future I bet.

If everything is going to be imported, either way, and the same store sells both dbol and a well known supplement company… more people are going to ditch the shitty mt.

[quote]rehabman28 wrote:

When consumers cannot purchase these supplements, the companies will be forced out of business. We have already seen the government stick its nose in Biotest’s business several times. I don’t think you guys realize the power that the pharmaceutical companies have. When compared to supplement companies, it’s not even CLOSE!!! [/quote]

I wonder if this is what people thought when food companies were forced in to honest labels and sanitary production methods?

I for one would rather pay a little more for beef that is beef and not horse or dog mixed up with dead rats, roaches, fingers and who knows what chemicals for preservation.

same as my supplements. If i’m going to eat a supplement, it needs to be what i’m told it is. Right now it is easy for supp companies to sell what ever they want. With FDA regulation, this would not be the case.

Your estimate of 10x’s more expensive needs to be better explained.

What example was used? “Joe Blows home made protein” that costs $11 for five lbs and is really only like 10% protein? If the FDA tells Joe he needs to have at least 95% protein, of course you will see a huge spike in price. He has a lot of filler to replace with protein.

And even if supps do go up in price just remember that you can get everything you need from food anyways.

Need some protein and fish oil? Eat a can of tuna.

Simple carbs? Try grape juice. You’ll get some vitamins and other anti-oxidants too.

More protein and fiber? grill some chicken and make a salad.

Creatine? Eat a steak or more fish.

Energy booster? have some coffee.

Appetite suppressing stimulants? have some more coffee.

Metabolism booster? coffee.

I guess you could have trouble finding test boosters but everything else can be taken care of by eating.

according to a study in another post here, you can apparently significantly raise test levels by eating lots of garlic though.so if they ban garlic capsules, buy garlic cloves and swallow them like pills. problem solved and it’s probably cheaper anyways.