Buying Your First Car

[quote]DF85 wrote:
I was looking in Craigslist and next to brand new cars are very cheap now.

I found an 06 Audi A6 AWD for 4500 and a 06 Jetta TDI for under4k! both low miles too

[/quote]

Anytime you see something like that, 99% of the time you’ll see “Reply to: see below” instead of an email address, and no phone number. They’re spammers hoping you email them. When you do, they know they have a valid email account to inundate. Flag the posting as soon as you see that.

Perfect example: http://portland.craigslist.org/mlt/cto/877801819.html

Edit: Heh, it got flagged while I was posting here. It was for a 2005 Mini Cooper convertible for $4,500.

[quote]PRCalDude wrote:

I drive around my wife’s beater used Honda with 130K. I plan on retiring it at 180K at the least. I can afford better, but I prefer to do like you suggested. [/quote]

180k too early 300,000 at least. Hondas and Toyotas are generally good for that types of mileage. Paint it another time and carry on-like the bumper sticker says ,laugh but its paid for. Also, when your ride is running on two cylinders and in death throws-donate to charity.

Volunteers of America always gave me blue book, top condition receipt slip. You can itemize on your return.
Not totally honest but, look how corporate America shelters their incomes.

To accumulate wealth one needs to think outside the box.
People like Motley Fools and others recommend driving used cars. Of course, later you treat yourself to a new car-just don’t trade every few years.
Craiglist I think has some good values-look for cars that have been maintained,new brakes,battery and exhaust. New brakes could run $500 plus.

When I graduated college I was stupid.

I had a 2004 WRX that I was paying about $275/mo on.

I traded that in for a 2002 Nissan 350Z top of the line sports car. Now, I’m not knocking that car at ALL. That was the fucking balls.

But now that I’ve been working for a while and am paying back my loans; I see what I should have done.

Now I’m looking to sell my car, buy something for 2-3k just to get around; and pay down my loans/debt.

There is no reason why a recent grad (unless they have no debt or have family money) should be buying a new car; I tell my friends that too.

And if you DO decided to get a new car; do NOT get it financed at the dealership…THEY WILL SCREW YOU LIKE A $2 WHORE.

Cliffnotes: Buy cheap if at all; don’t finance from dealer. 350z’s are the balls.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
yeah, i dont plan on racing so no need for the twin turbo, plus any TT’s out there are jacked up for the price.

im just picky about cars, i want something thats reliable but i dont want something that looks like a “family sedan grocery getter” either.

i figure its a good compromise between fuel efficiency and style.

i saw a pretty dope 3000gt on there too. i swear with the body kit it had it looks just like the Bat Mobile

http://boston.craigslist.org/sob/ctd/873843406.html

i may have to follow up on that also, it looks like a better deal than the nissan but i heard the transmission on the 3000 gt’s are shotty?[/quote]

I’m not a fan of Mitsu…3000GT is HEAVY and has had it’s list of issues.

However, even the Nissan 300zx has had it’s fair share of problems (electrical, tranny). So be sure to join one of the Nissan 300z forums and get info if you decide to seriously check it out.

300z forum…? where, on this site?

yeah, the 3000 GT’s are heavy but they have AWD which is awesome in New England.

Not here fool! Go search online. There are car forums for just about every sporty car made where die-hards talk about their cars and everything about them.

I was involved with several car forums because of the Integra Type R that I owned and my S2000 and some other peeps I knew who owned other sporty cars (RX7 and 8’s, 350z’s, Corvette’s, Mitsu EVO’s, STi’s, RSX’s, Miata’s, etc.).