Buying Weights Cheap

Where can I get weight plates as inexpensively as possible?

I was looking at Wal Mart, and 25 pounders cost $14. If I bought 4 of them, that would cost me almost $60.

Any place where I could get them for less? (I doubt it, but I may as well ask.)

TRY a Play-It-Again Sports near you. I believe they are around .30 per lbs.

get some used weights from craiglist or classified ads

Check local gyms for older equipment. One gym near me had a whole garage full of used equipment in great shape.

[quote]olinerules87 wrote:
get some used weights from craiglist or classified ads[/quote]

Yeah… I thought of this a little while ago in one of those “duh - you overlooked the obvious” moments.

Used weights? How will I know if they are still good?

Weigh them!

No that’s a “duh obvious mode”.

[quote]jdk2006 wrote:
Weigh them!

No that’s a “duh obvious mode”.[/quote]

LOL. do weights go bad?

[quote]robo1 wrote:
jdk2006 wrote:
Weigh them!

No that’s a “duh obvious mode”.

LOL. do weights go bad?[/quote]

don’t go bad per say but get a bit of a funky smell…

Like washed with arm pit sweat and dried with a monkey’s clean up towel…
lol

Also try Garage sales…
Kids will be leaving for school soon and many parents want to unload some weight from there store rooms - garages so that would be a great time to get it cheep…

Periodically Dick’s will sell a 300lb olymipic set for $99. Every other week or so they have their plates marked down also if that’s all you want. Wal-Mart around my area is always higher on plates then either of the Sport specialty stores like Dicks or Dunhams.

[quote]olinerules87 wrote:
get some used weights from craiglist or classified ads[/quote]

Go to your local Goodwill or thrift store.
I got six old 45lbs plates for $10/

:slight_smile:

Craigslist. A buddy and I picked up a bench, 255lbs of plates and a lat pull station for $150. The bench is kinda shoddy so I don’t use it, but it’s still a damn good deal.

[quote]CFH0319 wrote:
Periodically Dick’s will sell a 300lb olymipic set for $99. Every other week or so they have their plates marked down also if that’s all you want. Wal-Mart around my area is always higher on plates then either of the Sport specialty stores like Dicks or Dunhams. [/quote]

That’s weird… you’d think Wal Mart would be cheaper.

CRAIGSLIST.COM i cant believe nobody has mentioned that yet. hands down best bet.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
CRAIGSLIST.COM i cant believe nobody has mentioned that yet. hands down best bet.[/quote]

WHITEFLASH DID; 2 post above you.

LEARN TO READ THE FUCKING THREAD!

:slight_smile:

[quote]Xylene wrote:
mazilla wrote:
CRAIGSLIST.COM i cant believe nobody has mentioned that yet. hands down best bet.

WHITEFLASH DID; 2 post above you.

LEARN TO READ THE FUCKING THREAD!

:)[/quote]

As did olinerules87, third from the top.

I am now grinning like the Chesire cat…

Thanks for the laugh.

[quote]Dark_Knight wrote:
CFH0319 wrote:

That’s weird… you’d think Wal Mart would be cheaper.

[/quote]

I thought so too, but wasn’t when I checked.

[quote]mazilla wrote:
CRAIGSLIST.COM i cant believe nobody has mentioned that yet. hands down best bet.[/quote]

On line pricing is good to very good on most everything however you MUST remember the shipping cost added to the total.

Better to look locally and cut the UPS man out of the picture…

My brother got his by waiting till the high school revamped the weight room. 700 lbs a bench, incline and squat rack. 55 bucks.