Buying Presents

I hate shopping. Hate it.

Except when I’m shopping for my nieces and nephew. Gives me free reign to play with stuff a self respecting 30 something would never get caught playing with, and it’s a lot of fun.

Did my best to hook everyone up with cool stuff (within my more limited budget) but I think the big hit will be the art set I got for my niece who is in her “drawing” phase. The set comes in a wooden case and is full of paints and brushes and colored pencils and a stand up easel and even one of those wooden color wheel things you stick your thumb into.

She’s going to freak.

Any of you guys find the perfect gift this year?

My fiance and I exchanged last night, lol We have a lot of places to stop by on XMAS day and and after.

I got her an MP3/Video player and a Blackjack cell phone. I did pretty good this year.

She got me 2 bottles of ReceptorMax :smiley: and a NES game system with Mario and Duckhunt, lol Cool gift, but I already have them all on the computer. It was hard for her to top last year though. She got me an authentic signed jersey by Chris Cooley

That wooden color wheel is called a palate, if you want to impress her.

My brothers and I agreed to keep it cheap this year, so I got one of them Built For Show, and the other The Dark Knight.

I’m getting everyone a chia pet.

One of my friends is always bitching about not being able to find a Ravens or Orioles jersey that fits him. He’s big, but not that big. So I got him a XXL Suggs jersey to shut him up.

I love getting presents for my niece. I got her a paint set for her birthday last month and she loves it.

I’m not sure what we’re doing for her this year. I should probably work on that.

Hubby got me tickets to Miami in February for my Christmas present. I got him a PS3, Firefly on Blu Ray, cologne, and supplements.

So much for “not doing anything” for Christmas this year.

I got:
-Freaks and geeks DVD set for my mom since she asked for it
-John adams DVD set for my dad since he likes history stuff
-Twilight books for my younger sister
-Gin for my roommate who likes gin and tonics
-Pull-up bar for my 2 roommates who kinda-sorta like to work out but do it in the house
-“Pimp Cup” for one of my friends because I think he’d find it funny - it’s from specers and is just a cup that says “PIMP” on it.
-Book on physics for my geeky friend
-Godiva hot chocolate for his wife
-Chocolates and stuff from the popcorn factory for various girls in my life
-BD’s mongolian barbecue gift cards for a couple I know and also my personal trainer

mongolian bbq? do you just kill a reindeer and put it on one of those spinning fire pit things then mix its blood with vodka?

Stay out of the doghouse…

http://adage.com/brightcove/single.php?bcpid=1370868150&bctid=3130509001

I hate shopping in general but I love buying xmas presents.

Brainstorming ideas for people usually brings back memories of fun and memorable things we have done together and tying those in to currently relevant gifts usually translates to awesome xmas conversations, memories and genuine thankfulness.

Christmas shopping is super fun, not because of the shopping but because of who you are doing it for.

I guess buying random junk like a christmas scarf or gift card just to give a gift sucks, but for the close people, it’s fun.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
mongolian bbq? do you just kill a reindeer and put it on one of those spinning fire pit things then mix its blood with vodka?[/quote]

That actually sounds fantastic.

Hate shopping also. Best thing I ever did was stop all of the Christmas shopping, no idea how much more enjoyable the season is.

Brothers and I (age 31 - 34) stopped when we were about 12.

Wife and I stopped when we started living together and had joint finances. Figured we were each paying for half of whatever we bought for the other person. We both know how the credit card works.

Incorporated the no buying for my wife’s sisters and brother’s wife. They all thought it was cheap before the first year. Now they wish they would have done it themselves earlier.

Only people we buy for are our nieces. And usually we just give money for 529 plans, always thinking of the future. They have so much from the grandparents/parents they really don’t miss getting a gift from us.

The one fun part of the season for us is going to Toys R Us each year and loading up a couple carts of toys for Toys for Tots. I am amazed how many toys that I grew up with are still around.

No idea how much nicer it is just to enjoy the holiday without having to waste time shopping and dealing with crowds.

[quote]74 wrote:
Hate shopping also. Best thing I ever did was stop all of the Christmas shopping, no idea how much more enjoyable the season is.

Brothers and I (age 31 - 34) stopped when we were about 12.

Wife and I stopped when we started living together and had joint finances. Figured we were each paying for half of whatever we bought for the other person. We both know how the credit card works.

Incorporated the no buying for my wife’s sisters and brother’s wife. They all thought it was cheap before the first year. Now they wish they would have done it themselves earlier.

Only people we buy for are our nieces. And usually we just give money for 529 plans, always thinking of the future. They have so much from the grandparents/parents they really don’t miss getting a gift from us.

The one fun part of the season for us is going to Toys R Us each year and loading up a couple carts of toys for Toys for Tots. I am amazed how many toys that I grew up with are still around.

No idea how much nicer it is just to enjoy the holiday without having to waste time shopping and dealing with crowds.[/quote]

Cool,

I get a couple footballs and basketballs for Toys for Tots every year. That’s a great program.

I got a silver necklace for each of my sisters. It’s a heart shape with this engraved in black letters…

“I smile because we are sisters…”

On the back it says,

“I laugh because there is nothing you can do about it!”

I bought one for myself that says, “Well behaved women rarely make history.”

LOL

Usually my brother and I end up at the bar together around Christmas which is the only time I see him anymore. I usually buy the first drink, and him the second. Then we tell each other to fuck off and our Christmas is complete. It’s beautiful.

the little brother gets one of these this year, he’s been coveting mine for years.

wow, the evidence towards me being a psycho is really piling up isn’t it…

Got some convict-pro wrist wraps for one of my crew living in NC (that’s not psycho, right? … right?)

I doin my shoppin today

only person on my ‘lone wolf’ list this year is myself

I need to get some more compression shirts to lift/train in, time to move up a size!

Think I may splurge on defrancos documentary too

[quote]miroku333 wrote:
Got some convict-pro wrist wraps for one of my crew living in NC (that’s not psycho, right? … right?)[/quote]

Dude, I’m not in NC. WTF are you talking about?

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
mongolian bbq? do you just kill a reindeer and put it on one of those spinning fire pit things then mix its blood with vodka?[/quote]

Haha, I wish. No BD’s mongolian bbq is a restaurant around here, it’s make your own stir-fry basically. You choose a bunch of different meats and sauce and stuff and they cook it right there. Sooooo good.