T Nation

Buying Olympic Bars for Olymipic Lifts

Guys im NOT interested in good power bars, i have a few already, looking for a bar with a good amount of whip in it and rotation on the sleeves, anyone know of any for a decent price? Thanks, JC

I’m in the market myself. Haven’t quite made a decision but I’m down to the Eleiko training bar or the Chapman bar. Eleiko runs $664 shipped from Ironmind, the Chapman is $469 shipped from BSOlympic.

Eleiko is really The name in Olympic bars, but I have heard nothing but good things about the Chapman bars, pretty much everyone who touches them says they are a steal. Lots of recommendations on the GoHeavy Olympic forum, my coach recommended them, and coach Burgener speaks very highly of them.

Just going by the word of mouth I’ve read, I’m leaning toward the Chapman bar. Doesn’t hurt that it’s $200 cheaper than Eleiko either… But damn, Eleiko has the prestige.

Nick

I like Uesaka bars as well. They are a lot less whippy than the Eleiko’s though. The Uesaka is stiff enough to still perform heavy squats and not have the bounciness be a problem.

Don’t waste your time on an ‘certified’ bar as they are a complete waste unless you plan on hosting a meet. Stick with the training bars.

I have a York Competition bar. I got it for something like 350$ because they said it couldnt be used in competition for some reson…5 years later, it is still in use daily.

I know a coach who used to take his York bars and load it with 100kg., place the bar on a flat bench and roll it back and forth for a full day. I have lifted on one of these bars and the whip is incredible. Even a clean of 80kg. bends the bar of the floor, insane. You could also try out a Mav-Rik bar from California. Those have a rep as not only extra whippy but spin well and are stronger than Eleikos. My old coach used to refer to that bar as the “magic bar”, as lifting PR’s with it was not counted as the same with any other because the bar helped so much.

[quote]Galvatron wrote:
You could also try out a Mav-Rik bar from California. Those have a rep as not only extra whippy but spin well and are stronger than Eleikos. My old coach used to refer to that bar as the “magic bar”, as lifting PR’s with it was not counted as the same with any other because the bar helped so much.[/quote]

The Mav-Rik bars are also made by Chapman… Interesting info as I’m seriously considering that bar. How do you think it compares to an Eleiko training bar? Man the price on the Champan is right, but maybe not such a good choice if it has an “unrealistic” amount of whip.

Nick

I never had the pleasure of lifting on the magic bar. The only thing I can say is my old coach commented on the York bars I wrote of previously and said they were better than the magic bar. These Yorks I have used and if the magic bar is close I highly recommend one. I currently lift on Eleiko trainers and they are great, but the knurling is anywhere from barely-existant to almost Uesaka-sharp. I wish Elieko would tighten their standards to make a consistent knurling bar after bar, so that is something you’ll have to consider unless your going to own more than one, if it’s even a concern at all.

someone please answer this for me. are the diameters of standard power bars equal to standard olympic bars. the reason i ask is because of the hook grip and how is it pssible for those little guys to use a hook grip. i can only touch half of my thumbnail with my index finger using a hook grip with the power bars at my gym. i’m 69 inches tall. laters pk

I know the IWF standard for men’s bars is 28mm diameter.

Not sure what is standard for PL, or if it even varies from fed to fed, but my Texas Power Bar is 1-1/8" diameter, which is 28.5mm, just slightly bigger.

Looks like Eleiko’s power bars are 29mm diameter, so again, slightly bigger, but I wonder how significant it would be.

Nick

No powerlifting bars are thicker than the O-lifting bars. Its not your imagination. I understand they are much stiffer also to eliminate any oscillation during squatting.