T Nation

Buying Knee Sleeves

I’ve been looking around but I have a few questions.

1.) I’ve noticed many sites give out sizes by weight instead of circumference of knee. Is it just me, or does this sound stupid?

2.) I’ve seen a few different materials, which would be the best? (I just want to use for knee health and to keep my knees warm during workouts).

3.)I’ve also seen them in 3mm or 7mm thickness. Which would be better?

4.) Open vs Closed Patella?

5.) Does anyone know of any Canadian websites that sell a good quality product?

Thanks for the help

To answer your questions:

1. the proper sizing is always taken by measuring the circumference of your leg at the middle of the knee cap.

2. There are 2 basic materials: neoprene and elastic. Some companies like Rehband, Stromgren, Bike, and McDavid use neoprene, some others like Tommy Kono and Meuller use elastic.

3. Basically the thicker the neoprene the warmer the sleeve will be and the more potential support it can provide for the joint.

4. Some the the elastic sleeves like Tommy Kono will also keep the joint warm and provide good support.

5. The difference between closed and open patella is the amount of pressure you want on the patella and knee cap. It is a matter of personal preference and whether or not you have injuries to the knee.

6. The best prices you are going to find in Canada are from a sports retailer in Winnipeg, Manitoba called home run sports.

www.homerunsports.com

They carry the complete McDavid product line of neoprene sleeves which are 3 mm thick.

They have a website for physical education teachers where you can view the complete product line and get the product number for your order.

Thanks alot

Homerun Sports doesn’t seem to carry them anymore. Arm sleeves of varying brands, but no knee sleeves.

Does anybody know of alternative Canadian distributors/sellers? A quick Google search last night didn’t net much in the way of results (mostly medical supports).

On the question of open or closed patella, I’m presuming that a closed patella would be better for people who have had knee injuries in the past, or those susceptible to knee injury. Or do I have it bass ackwards?

Home Run Sports does carry the complete line of McDavid knee sleeves and everything else.

Go to their online website at:

www.physed.ca/aboutus.html

Click on equipment, then medical supplies, then knee or elbow supports or whatever else you want.

Copy down the product code then give them a call at 1-800-565-2025.

They will be more than happy to sell you any product and ship it to you.

If you don’t like the McDavid sleeves then you can try:

www.trainerschoice.on.ca

or

www.diamondathletic.com

They will both be happy to sell to you as well.

Thanks for the info, Mikger.

Get the rehbands.

Not to threadjack, but how is the sizing on those rehbands? Do most ppl order a size smaller than they measure around the knee?

Thanks,

Aaron

I have a pair of Mcdavid knee sleeves. 7mm I think. I am very happy with them. One thing I would add is that if you wear them several times a week then get two pairs. They can get stinky quite quickly and so it is nice to be able to have a pair to wear while the stinky ones are in the wash.

Paulos

[quote]mattwray wrote:

Get the rehbands.[/quote]

I just got a pair of the rehbands, and they are fantastic. I didn’t get a size smaller than the measurement tho, I used my actual size. I like them a lot, and jackal’s gym got them to me really fast. I highly recommend them both.

[quote]gainera2582 wrote:
Not to threadjack, but how is the sizing on those rehbands? Do most ppl order a size smaller than they measure around the knee?
[/quote]

I ordered the size smaller as suggested and love them. I’ve used other brands too, but the Rehbands friggin DESTROY them. You won’t be sorry, money well spent.

I just picked up the tommy kono bands from bb.com for just under 40 bucks shipped. They are plenty thick and provide warmth to the kneees. Definitely worth the $$$$

[quote]mattwray wrote:
gainera2582 wrote:

I ordered the size smaller as suggested and love them. I’ve used other brands too, but the Rehbands friggin DESTROY them. You won’t be sorry, money well spent.

[/quote]

When recommended to buy a size smaller, is this due to rehband sleeves running large? OR is this more of an issue for getting more support/assistance from the sleeves. What exactly does getting one size smaller mean?

To those familiar with rehband and their sizing, I’m just looking for the warming aspect to keep knees hot during multiple sets of squat (and i’m sure the psychological aspect of knee sleeves won’t hurt either), should i purchase my proper size or one size smaller?

-k

http://www.inzernet.com/detail.asp?PRODUCT_ID=SLEEVES_KNEE_XT

how about these?

If your just looking at keeping your knees warm then go with the current measured size of your knees.

If you’re looking for additional support then go with one size smaller.

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
mattwray wrote:
gainera2582 wrote:

When recommended to buy a size smaller, is this due to rehband sleeves running large? OR is this more of an issue for getting more support/assistance from the sleeves. What exactly does getting one size smaller mean?

To those familiar with rehband and their sizing, I’m just looking for the warming aspect to keep knees hot during multiple sets of squat (and i’m sure the psychological aspect of knee sleeves won’t hurt either), should i purchase my proper size or one size smaller?

-k[/quote]

I appreciate the response mikger,

Would you, or anyone else who bought the ‘one size smaller’ be able to quantify the amount of ‘support’ you get from them? is it mostly a psychological benefit or actual rebound out of the hole?

-k

Also, has anyone had experiance with the neoprene Rehband warm up shorts?

Honestly my tommy konos keep the knee joint really warm and provide a lot of support. The “rebound” effect you get from squatting with them is minimal to none since I usually rotate the days I wear the sleeves.

[quote]kane101nod wrote:
I appreciate the response mikger,

Would you, or anyone else who bought the ‘one size smaller’ be able to quantify the amount of ‘support’ you get from them? is it mostly a psychological benefit or actual rebound out of the hole?
[/quote]

I got the one size smaller and you don’t get any pop. They just keep your knees tight and happy. If you want pop, get some knee wraps and crank those bitches.

I went with one size smaller because that was what the site recommended and that is their business so I followed their recommendation.

Thanks for the input mattrway,

I was not sure if the rehbands ‘just ran a bit big’ for each size or ‘buy the size smaller’ was to get some lbs out of the sleeves.

I appreciate you clearing that up for me.

-k

Have any of you seen those new rehband knee sleeves?

http://rehband.com/Products.aspx?m=3528

Out of these possibilities, which is my best option (not looking for support, just warmth)?

Rehband: 7mm, 5mm, 3mm

or

Tommy Kono?