T Nation

Buying Horse Meat in the U.S.?

Can you buy it?

If so, where?

http://www.pubmedcentral.nih.gov/articlerender.fcgi?artid=2034431

On May 24, 2007, the last slaughterhouse in the USA producing horsemeat for human consumption was closed by State statute (1). Recently there have been several state and federal regulatory initiatives in the USA intended to prevent the slaughter of horses for human consumption (2,3). On January 27, 2007, simultaneous bills were introduced in the Senate and the House to prohibit the slaughter of horses for human consumption and to ban the transport of live horses from the United States to countries where they could be slaughtered for human consumption (2). The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) are pursuing defeat of these amendments to the Horse Protection Act (2,4,5).

I Googled but it doesn’t look like you can get it here in the U.S.

Why would they ban horse meat? It’s delicious as sashimi… I wouldn’t want to make it a staple of my diet though…

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:

On May 24, 2007, the last slaughterhouse in the USA producing horsemeat for human consumption was closed by State statute (1). Recently there have been several state and federal regulatory initiatives in the USA intended to prevent the slaughter of horses for human consumption (2,3). On January 27, 2007, simultaneous bills were introduced in the Senate and the House to prohibit the slaughter of horses for human consumption and to ban the transport of live horses from the United States to countries where they could be slaughtered for human consumption (2). The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA) and the American Association of Equine Practitioners (AAEP) are pursuing defeat of these amendments to the Horse Protection Act (2,4,5).

I Googled but it doesn’t look like you can get it here in the U.S.[/quote]

The ban has been effectively reversed. I don’t know why wikipedia hasn’t caught up yet.

Even when one could get horsemeat in the US, it was dreadful stuff, because American horses have never been raised or bred to eat. The last time there was a push to bring back horsemeat it ended up being dumped on food banks, which destroyed it because it was so horrible that even the homeless couldn’t eat it.

Your best bet is to go to Tuscany where there are still a few towns that do horse meat well. You can also get it in France, but French horse meat is shit that’s eaten for novelty, not taste.

Did anyone catch the latest episode of Real Sports? Can someone explain to me why slaughtering horses is such a no-no yet it is perfectly acceptable to do the same to cows/pigs/chickens/etc? I really didn’t get that part.

(Sorry for the slight hijack)

why would you even want to eat a horse?

[quote]flightposite wrote:
why would you even want to eat a horse?[/quote]

why not?

[quote]flightposite wrote:
why would you even want to eat a horse?[/quote]

according to CT, it’s leaner than chicken and tastes good.

[quote]wirewound wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

The ban has been effectively reversed. I don’t know why wikipedia hasn’t caught up yet.[/quote]

Could you post the site for that?

I was looking at the USDA site and they didn’t mention the reversal.

I also read that there was only one plant that was currently processing horses and that was in Indiana or Illinois and was not for human consumption. Texas had 2 plants but in Texas it is a state mandate that it is illegal to package, process or sell horse meat for human consumption. And also, they are closing those plants.

I wonder if you can order it from Canada and have it shipped?

I don’t want it, and don’t even want to try it.

[quote]OctoberGirl wrote:
wirewound wrote:
OctoberGirl wrote:

The ban has been effectively reversed. I don’t know why wikipedia hasn’t caught up yet.

Could you post the site for that?

I was looking at the USDA site and they didn’t mention the reversal.

I also read that there was only one plant that was currently processing horses and that was in Indiana or Illinois and was not for human consumption. Texas had 2 plants but in Texas it is a state mandate that it is illegal to package, process or sell horse meat for human consumption. And also, they are closing those plants.

I wonder if you can order it from Canada and have it shipped?

I don’t want it, and don’t even want to try it.

[/quote]

You know you want to try it.

[quote]analog_kid wrote:
Did anyone catch the latest episode of Real Sports? Can someone explain to me why slaughtering horses is such a no-no yet it is perfectly acceptable to do the same to cows/pigs/chickens/etc? I really didn’t get that part.

(Sorry for the slight hijack) [/quote]

Because people in this country like the pretty horses and don’t consider them food unlike other places. It’s like the “dolphin safe” tuna sold in stores.

“I’m so sorry you got caught in the net Mr. Dolphin! Here, you can go now. Oh, the tuna? Fuck 'em, they’re coming with us.”

[quote]Doug Adams wrote:
analog_kid wrote:

(Sorry for the slight hijack)

Because people in this country like the pretty horses and don’t consider them food unlike other places. It’s like the “dolphin safe” tuna sold in stores.

“I’m so sorry you got caught in the net Mr. Dolphin! Here, you can go now. Oh, the tuna? Fuck 'em, they’re coming with us.”

[/quote]

I’m starting an equal rights group for animals. God damn cow discrimination.

i really dont see the big deal about eating horses threy are no differnt than cows or pigs.

Where can I get kitten? I bet it’s fuck-all delicous!

I’ve also always wanted to try horse, and any other ‘exotic’ meat. Has anyone ever had zebra? Giraffe?

[quote]Vicomte wrote:
[/quote]

Try China. The restaurant close to where I stay when I am there specializes in donkey meat. NO, I haven’t tried it.

Horse can be tough, so if you do manage to get some, you will need to tenderize it. I recall having it as a kid, was like chewing on a tire, not that I ever chewed on a tire.

[quote]Vicomte wrote:

I’ve also always wanted to try horse, and any other ‘exotic’ meat. Has anyone ever had zebra? Giraffe?[/quote]

Giraffe?!?!
you cant eat a freaking Giraffe! its a Giraffe! they’re awesome! Zebra?!?!? its a horse in pajamas!

I like horses, I wouldnt eat one…cows are cool but they’re tasty

my favorite is hummingbird. . . except it takes me 200 of the little things to get my protein requirements for the day.

[quote]brunottfn wrote:
i really dont see the big deal about eating horses threy are no differnt than cows or pigs.[/quote]

Keep in mind that you’re in a country where the penalty for horse theft was hanging for a very long time. Old conventions die hard.