Buying Home Gym Equipment

I’m thinking about buying some equipment for home. I’ll probably continue at the gym for squats once a week. Does this sound fair? Bench with rack(probably not good for squats over 225), 390 lbs weights, a few dumbbell, a 1" long bar and a 1" short bar for about $200? I’m concerned about the 1" bars. Will they hold up with deadlifts etc?

Just get a power rack, one of the safest investments you can make when looking for home gym equipment. They can be had for 300$.

Get a rack for safety when benching. Then you can squat in it too. And attach bands and stuff. And skip the short bar and get one decent bar like a Texas Power Bar. And more weight.

View your equipment purchases as an investment so skip the 1" bar stuff an olympic bar will only run you like 60 bucks if you can’t swing a name brand. Also, get a power rack…even a cheap one will get the job done.

Buy a Bowflex. Haven’t you seen the commercials?

I’d skip the standard bar, they aren’t meant for anyone other than a weekend warrior. You can usually pick up an Oly bar and 300lbs of weights at a sporting goods store for $100-125. If you can swing it, get yourself a power rack. It will be a little more expensive than your original plan, but well worth it, and there are some very affordable racks out there.

This is also a great time to look at Craigslist, Ebay, and Play It Again Sports. You’ll find that some people will have upgraded their equipment for XMas and you might be able to pick up their leftovers. You might even be able to get free stuff from people on Craigslist as long as you are willing to haul it away.

I’m in the process of building my own home gym, and I have to say that if you can wait a little, and get some quality pieces, it’s well worth it. If the price is cheap, and it looks cheap, then it probably is cheap. Stick with the basics, good quality, and it will last you a long time.

Thanks guys
I think I’ll skip this and go with the olympic bars.