Buying Equipment

The gym I go to is definitley favored toward bodybuilding, only things for strongman I could use is heavy dumbbells, squat rack, trap bar, benches, and the usual machines. I’m looking to find at least one of the main things event wise, preferably stones. Anyone know the cheapest place to find strongman stuff? Thankfully I live real close to the beach so I need to find some big bags so I can practice the sand bag load race in my yard.

you should be able to find stone molds online. or get a swiss ball and some plaster and make a cast. ad concrete and BAM! stones.

with a little imagination and home depot you can build a lot of stuff for cheap that can be fixed and replaced easily as well.

Alright that sounds good, hopefully with the parents OK I can get the sandbags and try to make some stones

I know elitefts has some good strongman specific stuff. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=LP&cid=305

[quote]BCP27 wrote:
I know elitefts has some good strongman specific stuff. http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?m=LP&cid=305[/quote]
thanks for the link I’d love to buy most of it but I can’t afford most of it. I could buy the farm walk things, possibly make my own stones, and make my own sand bags. How much should the bags weigh?

So we want to be a Strongman again this week huh lol.

Stones are easy to make about $50 per stone.
Axles are easily made for under $30
Farmers are easily under $40
Chain Yoke for about $40

Go to Google and search " DIY Strongman Equipment" first link is Ontario Strongman.com that site shows step by step how to easily build all of them. Most involve no welding and just the basic of tools hell the axle is literally nothing but 2in pipe and duct tape.

[quote]Reed wrote:

Chain Yoke for about $40

Go to Google and search " DIY Strongman Equipment" first link is Ontario Strongman.com that site shows step by step how to easily build all of them. Most involve no welding and just the basic of tools hell the axle is literally nothing but 2in pipe and duct tape. [/quote]
haha yeah me and a couple people talked about it and there’s no chance I’ll change my mind I like strongman from the start but now I’m 100% dedicated to it. Thanks for the info I’ll check it all out, strongman workout starts Monday can’t wait

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Chain Yoke for about $40

Go to Google and search " DIY Strongman Equipment" first link is Ontario Strongman.com that site shows step by step how to easily build all of them. Most involve no welding and just the basic of tools hell the axle is literally nothing but 2in pipe and duct tape. [/quote]
haha yeah me and a couple people talked about it and there’s no chance I’ll change my mind I like strongman from the start but now I’m 100% dedicated to it. Thanks for the info I’ll check it all out, strongman workout starts Monday can’t wait
[/quote]

FACE PALM…well I called that one.

[quote]Reed wrote:

[quote]Mike__Madden wrote:

[quote]Reed wrote:

Chain Yoke for about $40

[/quote]

FACE PALM…well I called that one.
[/quote]
called what? Oh I’m trying to buy some stone molds soon, what sizes/weight since I never did them before would be a good start but not too light, I would like some sort of a challenge not a 100lb pound stone

I wouldnt waste your money on the molds man. there awesome if your making alot over 300 lbs stones but you can easily and alot cheaper make 200-300lbs stones with the plaster of paris method. Id make a stone that is 50-60% of your Deadlift max to start with.

[quote]Reed wrote:
I wouldnt waste your money on the molds man. there awesome if your making alot over 300 lbs stones but you can easily and alot cheaper make 200-300lbs stones with the plaster of paris method. Id make a stone that is 50-60% of your Deadlift max to start with.[/quote]
Alright I’ll check it out, I was looking for molds last night expecting them to be somewhat cheap…how the hell they want 140 bucks for a fiber glass circle??

Exactly what I am saying. You can make three stone’s for the price of just one mold.

Damn, well I should ask the parents first if it’s cool that I have a giant rock in the backyard, assuming they say yes I’ll start making one tomorrow. Any idea how big of a ball I would need for about a 200lb stone? I haven’t found anything about sizes/weight for the home made ones yet

Google Atlases stone circumference to weight formula. There is a list some where that shows exactly what the circumference needs to be for it to be a specific weight.

I got everything I need except the ball. I found a 55cm exercise ball that looks like it would be a good size for a stone but everything I read is 55 inches…the hell???

Stone Making Page.

Yeah your best bet honestly is to go to walmart or Kmart and get one of the big bouncy balls that little kids play with that kinda look like they have a cloudy design and some kind of bright color. They work great.

holy shit equipment is expensive. I have no idea where to start. I’m probably gonna make stones soon, possibly look for a keg, maybe sandbags too. It sucks I want a log, axle, and a yoke but go figure they’re the most expensive.

A axle can be made for $25. You can easily fasten a chain yoke for under $50. You just have to be willing to think.

I’ve made a lot of homemade equipment using various metal pieces I’ve scavenged at salvage yards. Old iron wheels, axles, truck flywheels, and odd shaped hunks of things I can’t even put a name to. I figure out how I can use the pieces, then have a welder put them together to my specifications. A relatively cheap, fun hobby.