T Nation

Buying Chains

So hey guys, im considering buying chains to add to my main lifts…but im confused on what lengths i should buy…also im confused about the weight…as if a how much would a 15mm link chain weigh?(say per meter)…any advice would be appreciated

I always buy them 5’ in length.

I have no idea what they weigh. I just add or subtract chains as needed.

do you know the link size??

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
do you know the link size?? [/quote]

5/8"

[quote]marlboroman wrote:

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
do you know the link size?? [/quote]

5/8"
[/quote]

This is the preferred, definitely. I have a bunch of 3/8s since I haven’t been able to get any 5/8s.

ok so i will go buy set of 5/8s… 5’ worth thnx

[quote]AntonioFlores wrote:
ok so i will go buy set of 5/8s… 5’ worth thnx[/quote]

probably want 5’ on each side

5/8 is really hard to find. I can only find 3/8 locally - Lowes, Tractor Supply, and Home Depot. I always buy 5’ or 10’(fold them in half) sections. When doing squats and overhead presses, I use rope with the 5’ sections of chain to make sure the chain never completely comes off the floor. Here is some good info on making your own chains:

Good article recently from EliteFTS on chains… articles.elitefts.com/training-articles/links-of-solid-metal-lead-to-strength-speed-and-stability-2/

mcmaster-carr

Grade 30 Steel Chain

Plain Finish

5/8" (16 mm) ; Trade Size, 6900#

$7.72 per foot

3.9 lbs per foot

available in a multitude of lengths

If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, go buy a couple of these setups http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-14-ft-truckers-chain-97711.html

One setup weight 35#. I leave the hooks on and cut mine into four equal lengths and then use a small, cheap feeder chain and carabiner to attach them to the bar. You can have over 100#'s of chain for $78.

Elite Fitness Systems sells chains. Plus, they have a chart to recommend how many pounds of chain you should use depending on your max squat/bench/dead. You can also buy them online from Liftinglarge.com. Locally, you can go to Fastenal.

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, go buy a couple of these setups http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-14-ft-truckers-chain-97711.html

One setup weight 35#. I leave the hooks on and cut mine into four equal lengths and then use a small, cheap feeder chain and carabiner to attach them to the bar. You can have over 100#'s of chain for $78.[/quote]

did a bit of math. to match that cost with 5/8in you would need to find it for less than $7/ft. you just cant find it that cheap. its usually twice that if not 3 times.

looks like im going to harbor freight.

[quote]asooneyeonig wrote:

[quote]Ty Carlson wrote:
If you have a Harbor Freight store nearby, go buy a couple of these setups http://www.harborfreight.com/3-8-eighth-inch-x-14-ft-truckers-chain-97711.html

One setup weight 35#. I leave the hooks on and cut mine into four equal lengths and then use a small, cheap feeder chain and carabiner to attach them to the bar. You can have over 100#'s of chain for $78.[/quote]

did a bit of math. to match that cost with 5/8in you would need to find it for less than $7/ft. you just cant find it that cheap. its usually twice that if not 3 times.

looks like im going to harbor freight.[/quote]

Yep, it is crazy how cheap 3/8" is compared to 5/8". And you end up having way more chains with say 100# of 3/8" as compared to 100# of 5/8", so you end up with way more loading schemes.