T Nation

Buying Chains

Any recommendations on places on-line that chains can be purchased?

Nope, but if at all possible, I would recommend finding some kind of industrial/construction materials store near you. I used Fastenal, same chains as sold on Elitefts at cheaper prices plus no shipping cost. They will also cut the chains on site to whatever length you want. The chain hooks can be purchased at Lowes.

Here’s Fastenal’s site: http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex

is there any write up on lengths/sizes of chain used, so you can build your own?

maybe check out harbour freight if you have one near you.They sell tools for super cheap.
Maybe a salvage yard as well.

[quote]matsm21 wrote:
is there any write up on lengths/sizes of chain used, so you can build your own?[/quote]

the 5/8" chain used is usually in 5’ lengths, while the 3/8" hanger chain is usually 10’

You can also try a stage rigging place
depending on where you live you might find one local

we use them in conjunction with chain motors
think rock concert.

http://www.stageriggingonline.com/g80stacchain.html

kmc

elitefts sells chains

they sell everything

they even have a harness you wear and put plates on it so you can do front squat w/o the bar.

[quote]LiveFromThe781 wrote:
elitefts sells chains

they sell everything

they even have a harness you wear and put plates on it so you can do front squat w/o the bar.[/quote]

I love Elite, but stuff like chains and boards are just cheaper to get/make yourself.

[quote]masonator wrote:
LiveFromThe781 wrote:
elitefts sells chains

they sell everything

they even have a harness you wear and put plates on it so you can do front squat w/o the bar.

I love Elite, but stuff like chains and boards are just cheaper to get/make yourself.[/quote]

yeah, im sure theyre a helluva lot cheaper at Home Depot than EFTS just cause they dont have “ultra resistant titanium carbon coating” or whatevs

Good luck finding 5/8" or 3/4" chain at home depot. None of the building supply places around me sell it.

I’ll go ahead and pimp APT, because they are a very dependable retailer and my training partner makes the chain they sell (Slater’s Hardware/stones).

Since this is the chain I own, I can tell you that they are very well preserved before they are sold. Acid washed and then coated (not painted because the paint flakes off and makes a mess). I’ve had virtually no rust on mine and they just sit around in my garage gym.

[quote]masonator wrote:
Nope, but if at all possible, I would recommend finding some kind of industrial/construction materials store near you. I used Fastenal, same chains as sold on Elitefts at cheaper prices plus no shipping cost. They will also cut the chains on site to whatever length you want. The chain hooks can be purchased at Lowes.

Here’s Fastenal’s site: http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex[/quote]

I got a quote from the Fastenal store near me:

3 3/4 chains, which weigh 20 lbs each, would cost about $180 (shipping and tax included). As a result, I would have 60 lbs of chains

These chains are 3 feet each. I would want to lay them on me, potentially, for push ups. Do you think I should pull the trigger?

[quote]ghost87 wrote:
masonator wrote:

Here’s Fastenal’s site: http://www.fastenal.com/web/locations.ex

I got a quote from the Fastenal store near me:

3 3/4 chains, which weigh 20 lbs each, would cost about $180 (shipping and tax included). As a result, I would have 60 lbs of chains

These chains are 3 feet each. I would want to lay them on me, potentially, for push ups. Do you think I should pull the trigger? [/quote]

I paid 50 bucks for 40lb of chain at TSC (locally). Try a farm/feed store. $180 for chain is a little too much in my opinion.

All you need to know about how to rig up the chains:

http://www.toppersupply.com/chains/

The Agri-supply in Garner, NC has 1/2 inch chain for $3.50/ft but unfortunately they don’t have any larger sizes.

McMaster-Carr is a good source for chain if you can pick it up. You’ll want grade 30, plain finish.

I just bought two bags of tow chains from Home Depot, about 40 dollars and 80lbs total and then got some smaller chain for loading chains maybe $100 total for the whole set up. That was a few years ago, but you can definately do better than 180.

go to your local marine supply warehouse or maybe try to get in touch with a contractor and see where they get their chain from. I got my chains from West Marine supply in hawaii and it was cheap as hell. if worse come to worse look up Topper Chain Supply on google. They supply chains pre-cut to lifting standards.