Buying an AK-74

[quote]chewie wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:
Hell, go ahead and offer $400…you might get it for $450.

Is it hard to get ammo for the the 74?
I’ve been thinking about an AK-47 but the Russians are being stingy with the ammo.

If you buy it let us know how you like it.

Note: I am very pro-gun and I want everyone to own several!

You should move to Texas. :)[/quote]

I’d miss my mountains. Colorado is just as pro-gun as Texas.

I just checked at Gunbroker and Guns America, $500 is actually pretty good for an AK-74(5.45x39 ammo).

My only advice would be to make sure it s 922r compliant…It’s a confusing and chickenshit law, but the BATFE can make life miserable if they catch you violating it.

I can’t even explain it. Just Google 922r.

[quote]Dirty Tiger wrote:
I just checked at Gunbroker and Guns America, $500 is actually pretty good for an AK-74(5.45x39 ammo).

My only advice would be to make sure it s 922r compliant…It’s a confusing and chickenshit law, but the BATFE can make life miserable if they catch you violating it.

I can’t even explain it. Just Google 922r.[/quote]

I thought it expired.

[quote]neeraj3000 wrote:
why do you need one?

Note: I am against the sales of these and most weapons, but know that I CANNOT do anything to talk you out of buying it!
Im just curious!![/quote]

Why do people need SUVs to go to work by themselves?
Why do people need sportscars?
Why do people need crotch rocket?
All the above items do is waste resources and kill people. Lets all petition to bring back the Chevy Chevette and mandate that it be the only vehicle available.

It’s still on the books, It wasn’t part of the Clinton AWB so it didn’t sunset.(In fact I think it may have been Bush Sr. who singned it)

I did some research about it when I bought an SKS…basicly if you wan’t to change one part on an imported semiauto you must change ten.

For instance, you can’t just buy a Yugo SKS and slap on an aftermarket folding stock. You a have to change a specific list of parts in addition to the stock…which makes the cost more than most AK-47’s.

God forbid poor people arm themselves.

[quote]4est wrote:
neeraj3000 wrote:
why do you need one?

Note: I am against the sales of these and most weapons, but know that I CANNOT do anything to talk you out of buying it!
Im just curious!!

Why do people need SUVs to go to work by themselves?
Why do people need sportscars?
Why do people need crotch rocket?
All the above items do is waste resources and kill people. Lets all petition to bring back the Chevy Chevette and mandate that it be the only vehicle available.
[/quote]

Why do people need to know Jiu Jitsu?
Why do people need to lift weights, you might hurt somebody with all those nasty muscles!

Do not get a cheapo stamped receiver AK-47. A machined receiver is a much better piece of equipment.

http://www.ak-47.net/ak47/receiver2.html

Just to clarify, it is an AK-74, not AK-47. I did end up getting it (plus 5 30 round clips, carrying case and about 330 rounds of ammo) for $400. It’s also equipped with a collapsable steel stock. I feel that this was a fairly good deal, but please feel free to tell me if I got ripped off (for future reference). Man, I do love Colorado.

[quote]conorh wrote:
neeraj3000 wrote:
why do you need one?

Im just curious!!

If it’s not full auto what difference does it make? The only difference between a sporterized AK, SKS, AR or whatever and my deer rifle is I can actually hit something at 400 yards with it.

The AK just looks scarier I guess.[/quote]

Why do you have a deer rifle in Iowa? 12 guage slugs only, unless you are talking about a muzzle loader…

[quote]csuson wrote:
Just to clarify, it is an AK-74, not AK-47. I did end up getting it (plus 5 30 round clips, carrying case and about 330 rounds of ammo) for $400. It’s also equipped with a collapsable steel stock. I feel that this was a fairly good deal, but please feel free to tell me if I got ripped off (for future reference). Man, I do love Colorado. [/quote]

Awesome! I don’t think you got ripped off at all… You are most likely 922r compliant, Ak’s are modified before they come into the country.

The gun laws here are sweet.

I’ve got an AK. When I cruise around in my lowrider, I’ve always got my gatt. I’m rolling with Grove Street, you down?

[quote]Snoop wrote:
conorh wrote:
neeraj3000 wrote:
why do you need one?

Im just curious!!

If it’s not full auto what difference does it make? The only difference between a sporterized AK, SKS, AR or whatever and my deer rifle is I can actually hit something at 400 yards with it.

The AK just looks scarier I guess.

Why do you have a deer rifle in Iowa? 12 guage slugs only, unless you are talking about a muzzle loader…[/quote]

I got it when I still lived in Missouri, and it’s actually built to be a long range target rifle, but it makes a living shooting coyotes mostly.

Hopefully I’ll get to splatter some prarie dogs with it in the near future.

Nope, can’t say I could hit the fat side of a barn that far out with a muzzle gun!

It’s still on the books, It wasn’t part of the Clinton AWB so it didn’t sunset.(In fact I think it may have been Bush Sr. who singned it)

I did some research about it when I bought an SKS…basicly if you wan’t to change one part on an imported semiauto you must change ten.

For instance, you can’t just buy a Yugo SKS and slap on an aftermarket folding stock. You a have to change a specific list of parts in addition to the stock…which makes the cost more than most AK-47’s.

God forbid poor people arm themselves.[/quote]

I didn’t know that. I thought that stupid law expired along with the the Clinton ban.

[quote]csuson wrote:
Just to clarify, it is an AK-74, not AK-47. I did end up getting it (plus 5 30 round clips, carrying case and about 330 rounds of ammo) for $400. It’s also equipped with a collapsable steel stock. I feel that this was a fairly good deal, but please feel free to tell me if I got ripped off (for future reference). Man, I do love Colorado. [/quote]

As far as I know, all Romanian 5.45 imports (WASR-2, CUR-2, etc.) were fixed stocks. What kind of folder is it, a Romanian or some Tapco thing? I think 400 plus ammo is a really good deal right now. Just don’t shoot up all the ammo, it’s been really tough getting any sort of ammo from Russia for the past year, you’re looking right now at about a six-month backorder if you’re lucky.

[quote]csuson wrote:
lol, cruel, but I’ll take the joke. Actually, it’s semi-auto. Of course, you have to have a full-auto permit to own a full auto weapon… [/quote]

No such thing as a full auto permit. You go through a rigorous application procedure, background check, and pay $200 to transfer the tax stamp on each Class III gun you purchase.

Ah, ok. I wasn’t sure exactly how it all worked. Thanks for letting me know.

[quote]pomofo wrote:
csuson wrote:
Just to clarify, it is an AK-74, not AK-47. I did end up getting it (plus 5 30 round clips, carrying case and about 330 rounds of ammo) for $400. It’s also equipped with a collapsable steel stock. I feel that this was a fairly good deal, but please feel free to tell me if I got ripped off (for future reference). Man, I do love Colorado.

As far as I know, all Romanian 5.45 imports (WASR-2, CUR-2, etc.) were fixed stocks. What kind of folder is it, a Romanian or some Tapco thing? I think 400 plus ammo is a really good deal right now. Just don’t shoot up all the ammo, it’s been really tough getting any sort of ammo from Russia for the past year, you’re looking right now at about a six-month backorder if you’re lucky.

[/quote]

The scarcity of Russian ammo is what made me trade in my SKS for a .357 Levergun…It only takes a stroke of the pen to make all foreign ammo unavailable.

You might want to look into handloading.

The scarcity of Russian ammo is what made me trade in my SKS for a .357 Levergun…It only takes a stroke of the pen to make all foreign ammo unavailable.

You might want to look into handloading.[/quote]

I have enough 7.62x39 but I have been interested in a .357 lever action.

What do you have? Details please.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
Dirty Tiger wrote:

You might want to look into handloading.

I have enough 7.62x39 but I have been interested in a .357 lever action.

What do you have? Details please.[/quote]

Its a Winchester 94 Trapper.

16’ BBL with an XS Ghostring

XS Scout Mount with a Millet red-dot mounted on quick-release rings.

I just started handloading .357 to about .38sp+p power.

It has low recoil, it’s handy as hell and you can use the scout mounted red-dot with both eyes open.

It’s a great gun but I think I still like Marlins better…I had to replace the shell ejector.

$400 for a Romanian AK is plenty. You can actually get them cheaper but it seems you got some nice extras thrown in.