Buying a Squat Rack

[quote]sabaz wrote:
how much can 8-10 peaces of 2 meter long steel square tube and a few pieces of steel sheets cost…[/quote]

For an upcoming project (either a GHR or 45 degree back extension) I just bought a 20 foot long piece of 2 1/2 in. x 2 1/2 in. x 1/8 in. (12 gauge) wall thickness square tubing for $97. My supplier only sells in 20 ft. lengths.

If I was making a rack I would use 3 x 3 x 3/16 (11 gauge) wall for the uprights and 2 x 3 x 3/16 for the side rails and 2 x 2 x 3/16 for the top cross members. For a basic 4 post rack you would need about 30 ft of the 3x3, 16 feet of the 2 x 3 and about 10 ft of the 2x2. I would guess the 3x3 is probably at least $140/20 ft, the 2x3 is $120/20 ft and the 2x2 is $90/20 ft.

So the materials for a basic rack would run about 140*2 + 120 + 90 = $490 and you haven’t put feet on it, fabricated hooks or pins. But you might have enough tubing left to make a prowler frame too (you’d still need skids for it)

Sure you could probably get by with the 1/8 wall stuff and you could probably save about 1/3 on the material cost since it’s priced by weight (1/8 is 2/3 of 3/16) but considering the labor hours that you’d spend doing the machine work, the welding and the finishing (grinding, cleaning for paint and painting) the amount saved as a percentage of the total cost becomes substantially less.

You would end up with something comparable to the high end EFS/Williams Strength racks that are starting at over $2k.

[quote]meangenes wrote:
I’d like to bump this thread for some suggestions. Think “affordable”.[/quote]

One of the value on racks is this one from Powertec:
www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/spr.html
I’ve bought mine, from a different supplier, almost six months ago and am very happy with it. It’s heavy duty, rated to hold 1500 pounds, and I, personally, have dropped over 700 pounds on the pins.

I used to have a code for free shipping, but I don’t know it’s still valid.

Anyone have any experiences/thoughts the 30 inch depth of the elite fitness 2x2 squat racks? That seems awfully shallow to me.

[quote]BigBen72 wrote:
Anyone have any experiences/thoughts the 30 inch depth of the elite fitness 2x2 squat racks? That seems awfully shallow to me. [/quote]

My first rack was only 33" and it was never an issue.

Fellas, buying a new squat rack is a noob move not a T-man move (unless you live in a remote area). Hit Craigslist, as a few have mentioned, and get a great rack for 100 bucks.

When it comes time for you to move, sell the fucking rack for 100 bucks then buy another for a fucking hundred bucks when you get settled into your new home.

Don’t be the bonehead who buys a rack for 800 then sells it for 100 or moves the thing all over the country.

[quote]malonetd wrote:
meangenes wrote:
I’d like to bump this thread for some suggestions. Think “affordable”.

One of the value on racks is this one from Powertec:
www.bodybuilding.com/store/ptec/spr.html
I’ve bought mine, from a different supplier, almost six months ago and am very happy with it. It’s heavy duty, rated to hold 1500 pounds, and I, personally, have dropped over 700 pounds on the pins.

I used to have a code for free shipping, but I don’t know it’s still valid.[/quote]

i have the same one got it a month ago or so, solid and wide (IMO) its 350 and free shipping is still available, cant go wrong here

[quote] Matt wrote:
BigBen72 wrote:
Anyone have any experiences/thoughts the 30 inch depth of the elite fitness 2x2 squat racks? That seems awfully shallow to me.

My first rack was only 33" and it was never an issue.[/quote]

Thanks for the feedback.

Just get your precision saw, some wood, some screws, and maybe some glue. Make this for super cheap.

I have this one from new york barbell but it was $299 when I bought it. It’s exactly what I needed. Great piece of equipment.

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/92563.html