T Nation

Buying A Squat Rack

My gym is closing, so I am thinking of going with a home gym. I am having a hard time finding stores that sell squat racks. Not surprisingly, if I wanted a crappy smith machine, they are a dime a dozen.

Any recommendations for online stores and squat rack brands? Thanks.

Check out Craigslist. You might be able to find someone unloading old gym inventory. I’ve seen at least a few in my area lately.

[quote]bigvook wrote:
I am having a hard time finding stores that sell squat racks. Not surprisingly, if I wanted a crappy smith machine, they are a dime a dozen.
.[/quote]\

I experienced the same thing. I was looking for a squat rack and went to many differnt stores and couldn’t find one. One placed called “Fitness Depot” did not carry a single one. Their slogan was “largest selection of fitness equipment in Canada”…

I purchased a kick ass HOIST smith machine (very smooth) & half cage, w/ peck deck & hi/lo pulley w/ 190 lbs lbs of plates. Added an olympic bar & plates for a grand total of $ 4,000. Best investment I have made. Very tough & sturdy shit, also easy assembly, took around 4 hrs to build up from boxes.

Maybe you can buy if off your gym

[quote]krayon wrote:
Maybe you can buy if off your gym[/quote]

This is an excellent suggestion. They’ll need to get rid of their stuff. Usually there’s an auction or a private sale. Great way to pick up a bargain.

You might Google “Jesup Gym”…they carry Body Solid and Powerline equipment for a pretty good price. My $.02…

Kevin

and dont get a squat rack, get a power rack. depending on how much you want to spend, elitefts.com has some “build-it-yourself” power racks. theres a high quality one, called the 2x2, its like 600 bucks i think. i realize that isnt exactly cheap, but its well made stuff, lifetime guarantee, etc.

around february im moving, and also not renewing my gym membership, that elitefts 2x2 will be a major player in my home gym. at least go to the site and check it out, so you can get an idea of what good racks should look like when you go shopping around for one.

You can also check out midwestbarbell.com, they have decent stuff cheap and support lifters.

i have a rack for sale that is from elite fitness. PM me if anyone is interested!!!