Buying a Sled

I have decided I am going to buy a sled. I fell in love with the Prowler but I don’t live in a house or have a way to transport it. That and my parents will flip the fuck out if I brought it upstairs. So I am going to buy a push/pull sled and keep it in my trunk so I can drag it on the football field at school.

Now the sled that I am interested in buying weighs only 28lb. Is it a piece of shit? There is another one that has cheaper shipping and looks about the same, but it doesn’t say how much it weighs. I am worried that it is too light because it looks as if it can only fit 2-4 plates on it. If I buy one with a longer car, I won’t be able to keep it in my car’s trunk.

How much weight do you guys think would be ideal for me if I am looking to gain power and strength, and lose fat if I currently front squat 100lb and deadlift 150lb? Or rather, do you think my tiny little sled will work?

If you only deadlift 150, do you really think that adding in sled work is going to benefit you? Maybe you should just focus on getting stronger with your lifts and worry about adding cool tools and gadgets later.

Just a thought.

Get a tire. It’s all you will need for a couple of years. Put rocks or bricks or the sandbag that you’re going to make in the center for weight.

TNT

[quote]Arioch wrote:
If you only deadlift 150, do you really think that adding in sled work is going to benefit you? Maybe you should just focus on getting stronger with your lifts and worry about adding cool tools and gadgets later.

Just a thought.[/quote]

Exactly.

You don’t need a sled to get bigger, stronger or leaner. I don’t think you should even consider a sled until you sufficient strength levels to merit its use as another tool in your toolbox.

[quote]Nate Dogg wrote:
Arioch wrote:

Just a thought.

Exactly.

You don’t need a sled to get bigger, stronger or leaner. I don’t think you should even consider a sled until you sufficient strength levels to merit its use as another tool in your toolbox.

[/quote]

Nate, you’re a real smart guy, but on this one I have to disagree with you to no end. Sled dragging is nothing more than pulling and pushing heavy shit. 100 years ago it was called physical labor and was performed in slaughterhouses, mines, on farms and ranches, on fishing boats, in logging camps and on the railroads. And all those people got awful damn strong. The mechanics of the afore mentioned jobs are the same as sled dragging.

Do you know how many dragging sleds were sold in 1900 for training purposes? NONE. There was no market for them. People didn’t need to drag a sled to get strong, they just got a job.

So, to the OP, maybe Nate is right. You don’t NEED a sled, just go get a job on a fishing boat, logging camp, etc. Forget the sled.

TNT

[quote]TNT-CDN wrote:
Nate, you’re a real smart guy, but on this one I have to disagree with you to no end. Sled dragging is nothing more than pulling and pushing heavy shit. 100 years ago it was called physical labor and was performed in slaughterhouses, mines, on farms and ranches, on fishing boats, in logging camps and on the railroads. And all those people got awful damn strong. The mechanics of the afore mentioned jobs are the same as sled dragging.[/quote]

I totally agree with you on all of that! It’s true!

Yep. Physical activity on the job is definitely missing from our lives these days.

[quote]So, to the OP, maybe Nate is right. You don’t NEED a sled, just go get a job on a fishing boat, logging camp, etc. Forget the sled.

TNT

[/quote]

Definitely. Any type of physical labor will be more beneficial than spending money on a sled.

I have no problem with the kid using a sled if it helps motivate him to get bigger and stronger, but he should definitely focus on squats, deadlifts, benches, rows, dips, chins, overhead presses first!

And if he really wants a sled, he can make one for next to nothing!

And if he needs something heavy to push, car pushing is one of the best things he could do. He can use his car (if he’s old enough to drive and own a car), or he could see if his parents would let him borrow their car or use a friend’s car, etc.

Just make sure you have a partner if you’re going to use car pushing as an exercise. :wink:

Psst OP is female.

A tire is the cheapest option. Free. And you can pick whatever size will fit in your trunk. If you can, grab one that is the right size with a rim on it. The rim adds weight and holds more weight if you need it.

I just snagged an entire set of wheels and tires that are perfect for Oly lifting, and I’m gonna use one of them for dragging… for $15.

[quote]dfreezy wrote:
Psst OP is female.[/quote]

Soooooooo, get a FEMALE dragging sled.

TNT

[quote]LetMeFly wrote:
I have decided I am going to buy a sled. I fell in love with the Prowler but I don’t live in a house or have a way to transport it. That and my parents will flip the fuck out if I brought it upstairs. So I am going to buy a push/pull sled and keep it in my trunk so I can drag it on the football field at school.

Now the sled that I am interested in buying weighs only 28lb. Is it a piece of shit? There is another one that has cheaper shipping and looks about the same, but it doesn’t say how much it weighs. I am worried that it is too light because it looks as if it can only fit 2-4 plates on it. If I buy one with a longer car, I won’t be able to keep it in my car’s trunk.

How much weight do you guys think would be ideal for me if I am looking to gain power and strength, and lose fat if I currently front squat 100lb and deadlift 150lb? Or rather, do you think my tiny little sled will work? [/quote]

If you have the discretionary funds, why not buy one? I have one that I bought from WSB a few years back and not only did it help out with my lifts, but it is a lot of fun too. There is so much stuff that you can do with a sled. The possibilities are endless. It’s almost like having a portable gym in itself, especially if you buy a few attachments with it.
The only major downsides to it are 1) if you are like me, you have to transport it, along with all of the weights, around which can be a pain and 2) That since you are doing the work outside you are at the mercy of mother nature.

I am a female, I do have the funds, I really believe in variation, and I can’t keep a tire to drag in my trunk.

I’ve had very good success with the g-flux methodology and wanted to add a sled work day. This is mostly to stay lean and just be overall conditioned. Since I am on a strength routine right now, the power gains wouldn’t hurt.

I cannot keep a tire to drag in my trunk. My mother will see it when I transport her weekly to the supermarket. She will flip the fuck out if I tell her what it is for. I feel as if I could get away better if it were a sled and a couple of plates.

And leave me and 150lb deadlift alone!!! I have tiny bones and a vagina!

So uhh, does anyone want to just build me a sled and send it to me? Huh?

http://cgi.ebay.com/DRAGGING-SLED-POWERLIFTING-STRONGMAN-NEW-COMPACT-SIZE_W0QQitemZ190257534365QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item190257534365&_trkparms=72%3A570|39%3A1|66%3A2|65%3A12|240%3A1318&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14

You can get a couple of plates for dirt cheap at your local Sears and just keep it in your car.

[quote]LetMeFly wrote:
I am a female, I do have the funds, I really believe in variation, and I can’t keep a tire to drag in my trunk.

I’ve had very good success with the g-flux methodology and wanted to add a sled work day. This is mostly to stay lean and just be overall conditioned. Since I am on a strength routine right now, the power gains wouldn’t hurt.

I cannot keep a tire to drag in my trunk. My mother will see it when I transport her weekly to the supermarket. She will flip the fuck out if I tell her what it is for. I feel as if I could get away better if it were a sled and a couple of plates.

And leave me and 150lb deadlift alone!!! I have tiny bones and a vagina!

So uhh, does anyone want to just build me a sled and send it to me? Huh? [/quote]

We didn’t realize you were a female and had a vagina. Otherwise, we wouldn’t have given you such a hard time with the weights you use.

Search on ebay and craigslist for a sled. There are plenty of people that make them and sell them for a fairly cheap price. Or you can make your own using an actual sled (plastic snow sled) and just put weight on it (rocks, weight plates, etc.).

Also, if your mom will freak out because you have a sled, why not talk to her about things? How old are you and why would she freak out? Do you currently train at a gym or at home and she’s okay with that? Do you play sports and train with the team or at school?

I was planning on getting a little one like that for my car. I just have to make sure the loading pole is short enough to fit in my trunk. I would want a push/pull one though.

My mother, for lack of better words, is 100% batshit. She knows about the gym but probably thinks I walk and socialize. She calls it the “spa.” And no, I don’t play any sports. Theres no way around my mother, she’s sick both physically and mentally, and I’d rather leave it at that. I am 20 years old.

Where at in FL are you? I’m from Sarasota

The Econo-Prowler dis-assembles and works for both push or pull. It fits in the trunk of my car. It’s not cheap, and you need two wrenches and some plates for weight, but you can keep the stuff in your car and put it together or take it apart in 2-3 minutes.

Keep an extra spare tire in the trunk of the car. Also keep a couple of sandbags to use for weight on the sled. Tell your parents that you’re being extra careful and are now prepared, in the event of 2 flat tires.

the sandbags are for when you get stuck in a snow drift or on ice. I know you live in Florida, but with global warming and climate change and all that…well, you can never be too careful. Be prepared.

Do ya think they will buy that???

TNT