T Nation

Buying a Roman Chair/Hyper

Spotted this on Amazon. Seems too good to be this cheap. Any thoughts?

Yaheetech Roman/Hyper Extension Home Workout Weight Fitness Gym Adjustable Bench Chair https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01BSKFI5W/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_foYyybP1M0E73

Jon

Just buy it and try it. You could always return it. I'm weary af of things that have no reviews, but I also realize that at some point SOMEONE had to be the first to review items.

I have this one:

(purchased mine used for $20 - like new)

Nothing special, but it gets the job done. I don't think a movement as simplistic as a back extension needs a fancy/expensive bench.

The only problem with mine is the large flat pad that your pelvis lies on puts a lot of pressure on 'the little man' and takes some re-arranging downstairs to make that area feel comfortable.

Yours looks like the pad would just rest on the hips so it would avoid this issue.

It's a pretty big hassle to buy from Amazon, get it, assemble it, not like it, unassemble it, pack it back up, and return it. For the cost, I might just live with it, though. I looked at reviews of that company's other items, and they seem to be mixed, at best. Some stating flimsy equipment. Probably a good sign.

I was looking at the Marcy chair, and thought it might be just what I need. I keep going back and forth between getting a 90° chair and a 45° chair, too. I want to do back hyperextensions, but also abs. And the angled bench would allow for some preacher curls, of sorts, too...

I want to try to stay in the $100 price range, give or take. I know there are some great ones out there for more, but I don't want to spend that much on this one piece of equipment for my home gym...

Price looks good!

-I would want a "toe plate" or platform under/behind the roller pads that hold your ankles. Somewhere to push the toes or heels "into" or "against."

If you wanted this feature, you could easily add it with a drill, some plywood, and like 4 bolts.

It looks like you could probably do back raises, and work your way up to Glute/Ham Raises on that piece. So that's cool.

-Sometimes the pads on cheap equipment are too small or flimsy. You could easily fix that with a piece of foam, or some strips of carpet and some duct tape.

Thanks - excellent thoughts. I appreciate that.

For all I want to do, would you recommend 45° or 90°?

If you want to do sit ups in addition to back/ham stuff, I would go with the 90 degree setup.

People love sit ups on that thing! I've seen more dudes do sit ups on the 90 degree, than I've seen do back raises on it.

I've read about guys in the the 60's doing "Roman Chair Situps" (I assume on a 45 degree setup) but I've never seen anyone do them.

Yeah, situps. For sure. I also want to do glute ham raises, and it looks like this will adjust to be able to do that.

I own this one. https://www.amazon.com/XMark-Degree-Back-Hyperextension-XM-7609/dp/B0080R1QTE/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1483301123&sr=8-1&keywords=xmark+hyperextension
I mulled over the issue of 45° vs 90° for quite some time before pulling the trigger on this one and don't regret it. Prior, I had only used the 90° in my old gym. With the 90°, it was mainly erector stimulation and hardly any glute and hamstring involvement. The 45° is slightly less erector and a ton more glute and ham stimulation. You can get more erector stimulation by pausing for 3-5 seconds at the top, when fully extended. They make cheaper models, but I opted for this one, because of my weight and I can say, it is built like a tank. I also have their upper end line of incline/decline bench. Both are excellent quality! My stats are 6'5"/340 for reference.

I bought the random, generic Roman chair on Amazon that I linked to above. It's being delivered today. If anyone cares, I'll post back about how well it is put together.