Buying a Pre-Owned Small Pick Up Truck

initially, i wanted a Tacoma but alas, i’m unable to find one at the price i’m willing to spend.

hold back the laughter…looking for a Ford Ranger, it will be a third household vehicle. my credit isn’t the best so i’m hoping to plop 2k down and maybe pay off the remaining 2-5k quickly.

so i’m looking for a truck for between 2-7 thousand bucks, a ranger, w/ 75k miles or less…can i find it???

thoughts opinions directions on the best places to look???

additionally, does anyone know of a company who might finance someone w/ jacked up credit?

will a dealership touch me w/ sub-par credit, the reason i’m opting for a cheaper pre-owned is because if i pay more i’ll likely get killed w/ a high apr…if i qualify. i figure 7k is something i can pay off quick so the apr isn’t an issue.

where do you live?

I love Ford Rangers. I know people knock domestic vehicles, but that’s just because they’re queers and Motor Trend tells them to. I’ve owned 3, every one of them was great.

I’ve got no real advice for you, other than a vote of confidence for the Ranger.

Look in small to mid sized cities that are fairly isolated. I looked for my truck for two years. Two years! The two best values I found were in St. George Utah and Spokane WA. Both medium sized, isolated cities.

Use Carfax. I found all kinds of great deals, especially in the greater Sacramento area but LA & OC too, and every single time Carfax revealed problems. I’d say avoid looking in big cities or metro areas all together.

While you’re looking save like a madman so you can pay cash. Fuck financing. The paper work alone is too much trouble.

You dirty redneck you…

[quote]Chewwy wrote:
You dirty redneck you…[/quote]

Don’t call Deb a redneck.

Why not just spring for a used F-150. The price isnt that much different neither is the gas milage (for the v6’s w/4wd or the small v8 in the F150.) and the F150 is so much more capable and nicer

IMO just a thought
check insurance too u might be surprised

[quote]1porsche wrote:
Why not just spring for a used F-150. The price isnt that much different neither is the gas milage (for the v6’s w/4wd or the small v8 in the F150.) and the F150 is so much more capable and nicer

IMO just a thought
check insurance too u might be surprised[/quote]

Hey, I’ve got an F-150 I’d sell ya. Just picked it up when I was swinging through NorthWest Montana recently. It’s nice. White, quadcab, longbed with box. Came with a gun in the glove box, I’ll throw that in free.

[quote]on edge wrote:

[quote]Chewwy wrote:
You dirty redneck you…[/quote]

Don’t call Deb a redneck.[/quote]

I’ve been called dude and bro lately…maybe he can call me that!

Ranger’s are fantastic vehicles. My father bought one (a '96) brand new, has 220,000 miles on it and the most expensive fix it’s ever needed cost roughly $30. My buddy has a 4x4 ranger that he beats the living shit out of and it just keeps chugging. Their only downside is that if you break you oil pan, you have to pull the engine to replace it. Which sucks.

[quote]gethuge08 wrote:
Ranger’s are fantastic vehicles. My father bought one (a '96) brand new, has 220,000 miles on it and the most expensive fix it’s ever needed cost roughly $30. My buddy has a 4x4 ranger that he beats the living shit out of and it just keeps chugging. Their only downside is that if you break you oil pan, you have to pull the engine to replace it. Which sucks.[/quote]

No joke man. I did things to my Rangers that most people wouldn’t do to a rental, but every time the truck was like “Fuck yeah, let’s jump the pond when we’re finished!”

[quote]1porsche wrote:

IMO just a thought
check insurance too u might be surprised[/quote]

That’s a good point. I had a V6 4x4 Ranger crew cab and it only got 20-22 mpg. If you can find an F-150 with the 300ci straight 6 or a 302 V8 you’ll get close to the same mileage out of a more useable truck. But the 4 cylinder Rangers will get 26-28mpg pretty easy. It just depends on what you want to use it for, can’t go wrong either way if you ask me.

Toyota SR5 4X4