Buying a New (Used) Car.

i think they’re both ugly and overpriced

[quote]stumpy wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

Got 3,600 from the accident. Plus another 500 we were going to use to fix the breaks on my old car. Plus another potential 500.

You could add to your budget by fixing your breaks yourself. Assuming it’s just pads/rotors or shoes/drums it is an easy fix that can be done in the driveway in a day for $100 tops, probably closer to $50 if you just do pads and/or shoes.

Only thing in favor of the caddy is it looks a lot cooler and will help in getting laid.
[/quote]

the 500 is from the car that got totalled. It needed some maintenance and then I got rear ended. So that money is still there.

wow, dad is pissed about this.

how lame. The caddy is fuckign cheaper then the buick. What the fuck?

[quote]zephead4747 wrote:
stumpy wrote:
zephead4747 wrote:

Got 3,600 from the accident. Plus another 500 we were going to use to fix the breaks on my old car. Plus another potential 500.

You could add to your budget by fixing your breaks yourself. Assuming it’s just pads/rotors or shoes/drums it is an easy fix that can be done in the driveway in a day for $100 tops, probably closer to $50 if you just do pads and/or shoes.

Only thing in favor of the caddy is it looks a lot cooler and will help in getting laid.

the 500 is from the car that got totalled. It needed some maintenance and then I got rear ended. So that money is
still there.[/quote]

I hear ya, I thought you were gonna drop the entire 500 on a break job which is ricockulous

update:

Apparently I’ll die in a car from 91. And my parents somehow think I’m goign to get a nice car for under 5,000. and was made in like 2000 or sooner.

kinda pissed.

edit: I’m looking for other cars, and he isn’t even listening to me when I’m fucking talking. What aload of bullshit.

ok, Civics are gay and I hate them, but it was probably one of my better car purchases (out of about 10)

you can get a really decent civic for $5k

A better choice:

http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=248676598&dealer_id=1387551&car_year=1994&model=&num_records=25&systime=&make3=VOLKS&make2=NISSAN&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=&search_lang=en&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=2000&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=75000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53083&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=56

These things are reliable (I’ve owned two Nissans). Has only 58k miles, AC, airbags and way better gas mileage.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:
ok, Civics are gay and I hate them, but it was probably one of my better car purchases (out of about 10)

you can get a really decent civic for $5k[/quote]

going to several in town dealerships later this week. I’ll keep that in mind.

damnit I wanted that caddy too :(.

[quote]Tyler23 wrote:
A better choice:

http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=248676598&dealer_id=1387551&car_year=1994&model=&num_records=25&systime=&make3=VOLKS&make2=NISSAN&start_year=1992&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=75&marketZipError=false&model3=&model2=&search_lang=en&make=HONDA&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=2000&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=75000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53083&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=5000&cardist=56

These things are reliable (I’ve owned two Nissans). Has only 58k miles, AC, airbags and way better gas mileage.[/quote]

too far away.

[quote]jehovasfitness wrote:

you can get a really decent civic for $5k[/quote]

Why all the hate? Because so many douche bags try to rice them out and fail?

I’ve got at 96 Civic and I love it. It has 4 doors. I think it is the Civic LE but any who I get a lil over 30 mpg driving around town and at least 35 on the highway. Plenty of room and it looks alright cause I didn’t add stupid plastic shit and a coffee can to it.

[quote]GhorigTheBeefy wrote:
jehovasfitness wrote:

you can get a really decent civic for $5k

Why all the hate? Because so many douche bags try to rice them out and fail?

I’ve got at 96 Civic and I love it. It has 4 doors. I think it is the Civic LE but any who I get a lil over 30 mpg driving around town and at least 35 on the highway. Plenty of room and it looks alright cause I didn’t add stupid plastic shit and a coffee can to it.[/quote]

Well, I grew up a muscle car guy (nothing but Camaros, T/As, Mustangs), but I needed something reliable and good on gas.

You are right the whole rice thing pisses me off, but the Civic is a decent car. I actually like the look, and the new SI’s look damn good (that hurts to say), but when I’m in the financial position I’ll have a civic but nicer cars as well.

I would advise anyone looking for an economical car to go for a Civic.

Get a turbo Eclipse or Talon. Great gas mileage and a very sporty ride. They are also well built.

There are a lot better cars in that price range. There are some sporty pontiacs that will be dirt cheap to run. Look for a supercharged Bonneville or Grand Prix. The 3.8l runs for ever. I’ve had two well over 100k.

Otherwise buy toyota. You can even find a turbo MR2 for 5k if you look hard enough. Great on gas, rock solid reliable, and a sporty little ride.

A toyota with 100k miles is a better investment than a caddy with 50k. Don’t buy the caddy. I worked on too many to ever buy one without planning on high maintenace costs. They’re a bit better now but not by much.

[quote]dhickey wrote:

A toyota with 100k miles is a better investment than a caddy with 50k. Don’t buy the caddy. I worked on too many to ever buy one without planning on high maintenace costs. They’re a bit better now but not by much.

[/quote]

I’m nitpicking, but don’t use investment and cars in the same conversation.

update:

Apparently I’ll die in a car from 91. And my parents somehow think I’m goign to get a nice car for under 5,000. and was made in like 2000 or sooner.

kinda pissed.

edit: I’m looking for other cars, and he isn’t even listening to me when I’m fucking talking. What aload of bullshit.[/quote]

ahh you should be able to find a fairly nice car for under 5k pretty easy. Paying 2-4k for early-mid 90s cars (like that buick and caddy) is stupid. in fact i just did a search to see how much them old caddys go for and found the exact same thing you posted for $600, (in ontario though), i also found a 97 for $600.

try looking at something besides dealer cars.

[quote]Joe84 wrote:

try looking at something besides dealer cars. [/quote]

parents won’t buy from anyone but a dealer.

Buy an economy car(civic, corolla, etc…). Now is not the time for v6s and v8s unless you have gobs of $$$ to waste.

[quote]dhickey wrote:
Get a turbo Eclipse or Talon. Great gas mileage and a very sporty ride. They are also well built.
[/quote]

And cost a small fortune to insure. Keep in mind this car is for a high school kid.

Agreed on the Toyota comment (except the MR2). The early 90s sedans are ugly as sin, but will run forever if you change the oil every once in awhile.

Joe84 wrote:

try looking at something besides dealer cars.

parents won’t buy from anyone but a dealer.[/quote]

b/c they are so much more trustworthy, lol

It’s been wittled down to two choices right now.

Ones a 1991 caddy

http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=249068770&dealer_id=604653&car_year=1991&model=&num_records=25&systime=&make2=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=&certified=&body_code=0&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=50&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=CAD&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=2000&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53083&advanced=&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4500&cardist=26

the other:
http://usedcars.kbb.com/fyc/vdp.jsp?ct=u&car_id=248688366&dealer_id=86218&car_year=1996&num_records=25&systime=&start_year=1981&keywordsfyc=&keywordsfyc=&keywordsrep=&keywordsrep=&engine=6+Cylinder&certified=&body_code=8&fuel=&awsp=false&search_type=both&distance=25&marketZipError=false&search_lang=en&make=&keywords_display=&color=&page_location=findacar%3A%3Aispsearchform&min_price=2000&body_style=SEDAN&drive=&default_sort=priceDESC&max_mileage=75000&style_flag=2&sort_type=priceDESC&address=53083&advanced=y&end_year=2009&doors=&transmission=&max_price=4500&cardist=4

Buick:
better gas mileage
lower total mileage
ghey color

Caddy:
It’s going to get me girls lol
Pretty good deal for a caddy IMO, might retain value better
worse gas mileage
higher mileage
cheaper

opinions?[/quote]

I PROMISE YOU, if you value your money dont get the caddy

go with a civic.

if you buy anything gm with a 3.8 do your best to find a supercharged one. the plastic upper intake plenums tend to like to melt at times, and deteriorate.

although wtih a supercharger you will have to change the oil in it every so often, but its not so bad and can be done at home with a turkey baster, some hose and a clothes pin (thats to plug your nose becuase the smell is horrific)

I put my money on a civic.

Or, find you an old vw golf gti. I just bought a 98 model, 3 grand. 30 mpg. fun to drive.