Buying a Dip Belt

Hey guys my school gym doesnt have a dip belt for me to use for chinups and pullups. Any recommendations on ones to buy? im looking for a relatively cheap one (price, not build). Im hoping to work up to 150 lbs by senior year so id like it to hold at least that much.

Thanks in advance

[quote]TomRocco wrote:
Hey guys my school gym doesnt have a dip belt for me to use for chinups and pullups. Any recommendations on ones to buy? im looking for a relatively cheap one (price, not build). Im hoping to work up to 150 lbs by senior year so id like it to hold at least that much.

Thanks in advance [/quote]

I bought a cheap one once that didn’t wrap all the way around you (like a normal weight belt). It basically hung on my lower back without any kind of strap to secure it in place. It was a pain in the ass to use because I was always worried about it slipping. Also, it had a screw-on carabiner clip as opposed to a spring-powered one, so changing weights was a pretty tedious process.

I got tired of it, went to the local hardware store and picked up 3 feet of chain and 2 heavy duty carabiners and just attached them to my regular weight belt. It works great and will only cost you 10-15 bucks even for some really strong chains. I think my chain is rated at 280lbs and the carabiners about the same. Not to mention the convenience of only having to carry a single weight belt as opposed to 2.

Plus you get hard-core cred for buying weight lifting gear at the hardware store.

I use my regular lifting belt and it’s big enough for me to stick a hex dumbbell in the front of it.

I bought one from pro wrist straps a few years ago. Pretty decent belt, the most I’ve had on it was 65lbs. Forget how much I paid and how much the chain is rated for.

I got mine from pro wrist straps this year and have had up to 135 lbs on it… the only thing I did was replace the carabiner from the screw type to the spring loaded type…

I would go with the APT one as well, reasonble price and well built.

www.prowriststraps.com

They also ship out quickly so you should get it in a couple of days. I have used the red nylon one with 135 lbs of weight and it held up great. The most you can really fit on most dip belts is 180 lbs, but the majority of people don’t have the need to go that heavy anyway.

I have a rope that is tied in a loop.

Gotten a db up to 145 in it, works fine.

Pretty cheap too.

I have the Spud dip belt from Elite FTS and love it.

I’ve been using a 5’ chain for the past few months. Its uncomfortable at first but I quickly got used to it.
Connect a carabiner to each end of a chain, wrap one end around your waist and connect the carabiner mid-chain (think belt), position the excess chain infront of you then pull the second unused carabiner up and clip it it on.

This 2nd loop will be used to hold the weight, keep it small/narrow for use of dumbbells, or unclip the 2nd carabiner and reconnect it farther down the belt(portion of chain around your waist) for plates.

Picked all the stuff up a home depot for 10 bucks, the chain im using holds up too 500lbs, the carabiner 300, plenty of room. Don’t have to worry about it breaking. Again, you get used to it, the most i’ve put on it was 135 w/out issue.

Home Depot - I bought 5 ft of chain, rated to hold 1000+ lbs and a heavy duty clip for under $10; get the thicker chain so it doesn’t dig into your sides

It doubles as a “Rampage Jackson” necklace :slight_smile:

whoops, didn’t see Keving14 ^^

[quote]frankjl wrote:

I got tired of it, went to the local hardware store and picked up 3 feet of chain and 2 heavy duty carabiners and just attached them to my regular weight belt. It works great and will only cost you 10-15 bucks even for some really strong chains. I think my chain is rated at 280lbs and the carabiners about the same. Not to mention the convenience of only having to carry a single weight belt as opposed to 2.[/quote]

+1

I bought a cheap one once that didn’t wrap all the way around you (like a normal weight belt). It basically hung on my lower back without any kind of strap to secure it in place. It was a pain in the ass to use because I was always worried about it slipping. Also, it had a screw-on carabiner clip as opposed to a spring-powered one, so changing weights was a pretty tedious process.

Ive got one like that you just have to know how to use it.
The weight on the belt will hold it in place,and use dunbells instead of plates much easier to change over.
Then loop back and clip back on to do wide-grips with.Simple.

Chain, use as belt. Comfortable if you sit it just over your hips. Adjustable in length depending on how many plates you are using.

Cheapest option and best, IMO.

Had a cheap ass belt from wal-mart and a chain i 8 gauge chain from the clearance isle in the same store same day with an aluminum caribiner i got for doin 50 pushups for the marines in highschool. Hell used the shirt he gave me to mop up the blood on leg the first time that damn chain pinched the side of my leg but ya i maxed out @ 3XBW+90lbs so ya just bout anything will work… though it shreded on my on a warm up set with 35lbs less than a month l8tr so ya beggers, chooses you know the deal!

$21 - $40
http://www.flexcart.com/members/elitefts/default.asp?SearchPhrase=dip+belt&m=SR

[quote]frankjl wrote:

I got tired of it, went to the local hardware store and picked up 3 feet of chain and 2 heavy duty carabiners and just attached them to my regular weight belt. It works great and will only cost you 10-15 bucks even for some really strong chains. I think my chain is rated at 280lbs and the carabiners about the same. Not to mention the convenience of only having to carry a single weight belt as opposed to 2.[/quote]

+1 again.

I have a very old BB style best that we use for this. 3 feet of 1/4in. chain. spend the extra $2 for the smooth link style chain not the stuff you’d use to tie a dog out, your gut and legs will thank you. and a spring style carbiner, get a stainless steel one and make sure it fits through the chain links.

We use this set up to load plates or dumbells and have yet to drop one.

Pick up an old BB style belt on craigslist or play it again sports. I worried the the weighted chain would eventually cause my good belt to fold over.

I have to say that I thoroughly enjoy IM’s dip belt. A little pricey, however I’ve added up to 200lbs on it and it doesn’t feel like it’s going to saw my body in half