T Nation

Butter and Mayo

Is butter and mayo really that bad for you if you use them for P+F meals (mayo with tuna, cooking chicken with butter, etc)? Granted not all fat sources would be from butter and mayo. Ofcourse in other P+F meals one would include some healthier fats like flax oil and fish oils. But it seems like most people avoid butter and mayo like the plague.

Butter is good. Organic butter is better. Butter is good to put on veggies in a P+F meal.

I think any mayo you buy at the store sucks because it’s made with crappy oils like canola, soybean, etc. So I would avoid mayo no matter what unless you can make your own with olive oil or buy it special that way (expensive).

Make your own mayo out of extra virgin olive oil. That store bought crap is well, crap.

How?

Yeah Ko, can you post a recipe?

I am a mayo freak actually. I think mayo and cheddar cheese makes any meal better! Peanut butter and Mayo on toast, now that good eating.

glad you asked ike.

see chefs/cook thread.

Ive made mayo before.

Ive made it with extra virgin olive oil and also walnut oil. Taste is very good.

I use an old mayo jar (large) and drop two egg yolks in there, then slowly while beating the eggs with an electric beater I let the oil fall into the jar mixing slowly with the egg yolk.

It does not come out white, but instead it comes out very light gold color, very very light, but not white.

–Al–

Thanks Rumbach, ask and you shall receive! Now thats great service.

Mayo is fattening

Barry Sears (who wrote the The Zone Diet) is a big fan of Miracle Whip.

I’d like NielG to tell me why canola oil is crap and substatiate it with vaild scientific claims.

Then I’ll refute with why canola oil is actually a very healthy and beneficial oil. :slight_smile:

Yes, butter is a good fat source. It has many fat soluble vitamins such as A, D and E as well as contains a high portion of CLA (conjugated linoleic acid) which has anti-tumorgenic and anti-carcinogenic effects. Butter also supplies the body with non-choesterolemic saturated fat sources from short and medium chain fatty acids. This will help you meet a reasonable intake of saturated fat in your diet without comprimising health and throwing off the balance of saturated, monounsaturated and polyunsaturated fatty acids.

Canola oil contains trans-fat acids due to the processing, IIRC. Why do you think Canola is a healthy oil? It’s probably not a good idea to get much of any oil except flax and olive oil (perhaps borage and primrose oil??).

Concerning butter and mayo…I still have no clue what to think. There’s the current orthodoxy (espoused here at Tmag?) and the Enig-Fallon camp. As of yet I’ve seen nobody make a convincing case either way. I’d love to see someone knowledgeable dig into it though.

-Zulu

Canola oil contains trans-fat acids due to the processing, IIRC. Why do you think Canola is a healthy oil? It’s probably not a good idea to get much of any oil except flax and olive oil (perhaps borage and primrose oil??).

Canola contains TFA’s? Zulu, give your head a shake. Do you even know how trans fats are made? Trans fats are not naturally occuring fats. They are man-made fats that are created through a process called hydrogenation which bascially is a way of taking a fat, heating it with a hydrogen catalist, and forming a new fat that is more stable at room temperatures.

Canola oil does not contain trans fats.

Canola oil -otherwise known as rapeseed oil- is a healhty oil because it is mostly comprised of the monounsaturated fat oleic acid, which is also the major fatty acid found in olive oil. Canola is also even better than oilve because it contains the n-3 fatty acid linolenic acid (18:3n-3) which the main fatty acid found in flax and it contains the n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid linoleic acid (LNA, 18:2n-6).

So per 100g canola oil contains:

57g monounsaturated oleic acid

20.5g of the n-6 polyunsaturated fatty acid linoleic acid

and 10g of the n-3 PUFA linolenic acid.

The remainder of the fatty acids come from some other mono’s, poly’s and minor amounts of saturates (which btw, ALL oils contain some SFA’s even fish oil, and flax!)

Cass,

It’s all in the processing. The stuff goes rancid when processed at such high heats (or by using chemical solvents).

http://www.westonaprice.org/know_your_fats/conola.html

Modern oil processing is a different thing entirely. The oil is removed by a combination of high temperature mechanical pressing and solvent extraction. Traces of the solvent (usually hexane) remain in the oil, even after considerable refining. Like all modern vegetable oils, canola oil goes through the process of caustic refining, bleaching and degumming?all of which involve high temperatures or chemicals of questionable safety. And because canola oil is high in omega-3 fatty acids, which easily become rancid and foul-smelling when subjected to oxygen and high temperatures, it must be deodorized. The standard deodorization process removes a large portion of the omega-3 fatty acids by turning them into trans fatty acids. Although the Canadian government lists the trans content of canola at a minimal 0.2 percent, research at the University of Florida at Gainesville, found trans levels as high as 4.6 percent in commercial liquid oil.24 The consumer has no clue about the presence of trans fatty acids in canola oil because they are not listed on the label.

And I think this is what Zula was referring to:

A large portion of canola oil used in processed food has been hardened through the hydrogenation process, which introduces levels of trans fatty acids into the final product as high as 40 percent.25 In fact, canola oil hydrogenates beautifully, better than corn oil or soybean oil, because modern hydrogenation methods hydrogenate omega-3 fatty acids preferentially and canola oil is very high in omega-3s. Higher levels of trans mean longer shelf life for processed foods, a crisper texture in cookies and crackers?and more dangers of chronic disease for the consumer.26

Whoa…my eyes…my eyes!

Such a vast amount of bright, bold type…!

oops.

Ok, I think what Zulu was referring to was in the first paragraph.

Stupid me.

Thanks for that little lesson there, Cassanova, but yes…I know exactly how transfat is made and I stand by my point. (Thanks for the extract Neil).

-Zulu

Anyone ever tried EarthBalance spread?

http://www.earthbalance.net/

Their spiel:

Endorsed by professional chefs
Awarded top honors by The American Tasting Institute
No Hydrogenated Oil
No Trans-Fatty Acids
All Natural (NO PRESERVATIVES)
Lactose Free
Gluten Free
100% Vegan
Our balanced blend of natural oils is U.S. patented to help improve the good to bad cholesterol ratio!

Is that an ad?

Well…

I had not meant it to be.

But now it appears that I should contact them and ask for a fee.

Seriously, it’s not too bad. I’ve gone through a small tub. Seems to do everything butter does.