T Nation

Butt Wink

I am struggling big time with butt wink just at about parallel, when i sink my ass into a deep squat (1-2inches below) my lower lumbar loses it’s tightness. I like to practice deeper than i’d squat in competition (easier to take away depth than to add). Has anyone had this problem and what techniques did they use to fix it

There are a lot of opinions out there about the butt wink and I’m sure there are people on here who will disagree with me and those much more qualified to post about this than I. But from my experience and reading, the butt wink really isn’t a big problem. Make sure you have a strong core, a strong back, that your squat form is good and that you aren’t slamming into the bottom without staying tight. If you are doing all that, I don’t think the butt wink is going to cause you any problems. A lot of good squatters who squat deep, high bar, have it. Take a look

I’ve been trying to really exaggerate my lumbar arch at my rack and start position and that seems to have helped a bit in minimizing my wink. But, as N.K. said, this probably has a lot to do with my depth and high bar position.

I haven’t fixed mine yet but I am working on it.

My core, especially my anterior core, is not stiff enough compared to my hips, so I am working on hip mobility and core stability.

Hip and hamstring mobility. Defrancos agile 8 or at least pic the ones most pertinent to what’s wrong specifically with you.

Also, somehow working on keeping your back and midsection super stiff. I’m trying front squats, arched back GMs, and snatch grip pulls from pins while maintaining an arch. I guess I’ll see if it’s working soon.

Mobility is huge, but so is motor control of the hips. There’s a difference between arching your L-spine and rotating your hips anteriorly.
I have had some pretty frustrating low back issues in the past (originating from butt-wink a.k.a posterior hip rotation) which eventually led to straining my low back pretty badly.
Practice rotating your HIPS as you sink into the hole and stop at the point that you can’t maintain neutral. Work your way down. Mobility plays a role, but it’s nothing without motor control as well.