T Nation

Butt Wink Issue

Does anyone know any stretches or excerises to help fix my butt wink? I’m stretching my glutes,hamstrings,ankles,back, and shoulders. Is there anything else I should do???

Squeeze your glutes hard when you take your air and keep squeezing them as you descend.

Work on maintaining a neural lumbar spine and holding this position throughout the lift. Maintaining this spinal position and using a tight decent squat at deep as you can without any posterior pelvic tilt (butt wink). Over time through squatting alone your depth and mobility will increase, a higher frequency training protocol will help to speed up the process. Make sure to use a manageable weight for the time being until you can manage to squat to depth whilst maintaining that neutral spine.

It may take a while to learn to recruit the lower back muscles but stick with it and you should be squatting to depth without any form break in no time.

There are probably different cues that will work for different people, I look at it as trying to keep my back arched as I descend. Record your sets and don’t go lower than you can without rounding your back because it can cause a back injury.

For stretching, you can just hold onto something stable and squat down as low as you can (no rounding, again) and hold that position for about 30 seconds. I do that about 3-5 times a day on days I don’t squat because otherwise I find that my muscles sometimes get too tight and I start having issues with squat depth. You can also experiment with different foot positions and knee angles to see where you can squat the deepest, if you don’t have great mobility then that will probably be your optimal squatting position.

Looking at it from an injury prevention standpoint lumbar lordosis is not what I would consider optimal just as much as posterior pelvic tilt. I say this assuming that you mean your lumbar region when you referenced arching your back.

Arching your lumbar can work as a good cue but for practical purposes without seeing someone squat it is safe to assume in my opinion that everyone has the potential for hyperlordosis and should be told to maintain a neutral spinal positioning.

I never said to hyperextend your back, just to maintain an arch as you descend. For someone who has issues with butt wink, it is unlikely that they will be able to extend beyond neutral at the bottom of the squat or they probably wouldn’t have butt wink in the first place. And by the way, your lumbar spine has a natural lordotic curve.

The term lordosis refers to the normal inward lordotic curvature of the lumbar and cervical regions of the human spine. The normal outward curvature in the thoracic and sacral regions is termed kyphosis or kyphotic. The term comes from the Greek lordōsis, from lordos “bent backward”

I’m aware that’s what you said, I’m just of the opinion that it’s a bad mental cue as hyperlordosis as I stated could be an issue as you have never seen how the OP squats. It can be an issue with female lifters quite commonly and weak abdominal or tight glutes, particularly the piriformis can both play a major role in the root cause. Both of which are not an indicator of an ability to hyperextend the lumbar region. For that reason ‘neutral’ just seems a better cue, all I was getting at.

Try not to copy and paste too much information from wikipedia also. :wink:

Again, there’s a difference between extension and hyperextension, but this leads us to another question which can only be answered by a video of the OP squatting: is he actually going into spinal flexion or is he extending (or hyperextending) his lumbar spine as he descends, and the butt wink is actually his pelvis going back towards neutral as his femurs press against his pelvis?

Post a video.

It can happen at anytime during the squat to be fair, it depends on where the weakness lies, or if there is no weakness where they loose tightness due to lack of motor control, probably the main reason for most in my opinion.

You are right that we need to see a video, my point was simply that without one neutral would make a better cue, here is a basic illustration of the different spinal positions so you can get where I am coming from.

As you can see from the diagram a ‘neutral’ position will still have a slight curvature of the lumbar spine. Maybe this is what you were getting at the whole time though. I am unsure.

Obviously neutral is the objective, but if it was as simple as just thinking about keeping a neutral spine then nobody would be complaining about butt wink. That seems like a bad cue to me.

“Ultimate back fitness and performance, 5th edition” by Stuart McGill p.298, “Building the power lifter”:
“The neutral curve (or even slight spine extension in some lifters) is never compromised. One is only as safe as the ability to maintain this neutral and braced spine.”

“The neutral curve (or even slight spine extension in some lifters) is never compromised. One is only as safe as the ability to maintain this neutral and braced spine.”

My point right here, you’ve typed it yourself.

Are you fucking brain dead? He says slight spine extension is OK. Slight spine extension is as safe as neutral.

I wouldn’t worry about it guys, I think you pair have made the OP lose the will to live, or at least the will to squat :joy:

‘‘Are you fucking brain dead? He says slight spine extension is OK. Slight spine extension is as safe as neutral.’’

The sentance stated a slight (meaning slight by the way) spine extension is OK in SOME lifters. As in not all. As in neutral would be a better cue across the board for correct spinal alignment.

No need to get jumped up over the internet either, check your estrogen.

At least he won’t have to worry about butt wink anymore.

Go tell McGill that. Neutral is better because it will allow a more efficient squat pattern, but slight extension is definitely better than flexion. Neutral is a bad cue for someone who can’t stay neutral. It’s like telling someone “just shut up and lift”. Slight extension (or “keep your back arched” as I said) makes a lot more sense to me.

And by the way, my first comment in this thread was “There are probably different cues that will work for different people, I look at it as trying to keep my back arched as I descend.” I’m aware that it won’t work for everyone, very few cues work for everyone. You just seem to be looking for an argument and trying to find some kind of hidden meaning in everything you read. If you don’t like my cue then too bad, I don’t like yours either. There is nothing more to discuss here.

Wow.

Hugs?