T Nation

Busy Schedule... Any Ideas?

All right. So I’m working roughly 10 hours a day, nearly every day of the week. Some days I’ll only put in half that or if I’m lucky I’ll be off, but that’s no more than 1-2 days a week. My schedule looks most often like this:

9:00 - wake up, shower
9:30 - breakfast, generally the following:
1c oats
1c skim milk
1scp Grow!
1/2-1c mixed berries
~500-550kcal
10:00 - work
12:00 - lunch, usually mixed veggies & grilled chicken breast
1:00 - back to work
3:00 - out of work
4:00 - off to job #2
9-10:00 - leave job #2
9:30-10:30 - eat
10:30-11:00 - weightlift

So I’m home for breakfast and lunch and usually after the first job… so I can get in some meals then, and don’t have a problem except at job#2 where I can’t get in a meal between the 3:30 feeding and 10:30 or so due to transit.

The largest problem is finding time to work out. I only get to lift late at night on those days, and cannot stay up until 1-2am to properly have a post-PWO meal.

Does anyone have suggestions for portable/easy foods for job#2 (besides mixing shakes… I’ve tried but they’re always warm since I’ve no access to a refrigerator, and don’t end up well) and for the post-PWO meal timing? It doesn’t sit well with me mentally to be eating a bunch of carbs before going to bed.

Shakes will be essential. Get yourself a large good quality thermos flask (like a Stanley), make shakes (with lots of ice) the night before, fill up and store in the fridge overnight (so that cold loss won’t happen overnight).

A good one should keep your shake cold for 24 hours or so :slight_smile:

Get Gourmet Nutrition by Berardi. There’s some great recipes for protein bars; your best option between 3 and 10pm.

As for PWO, try Surge. The carbs absorb fast and shouldn’t keep you awake. After that, drink extra water before bed and when you wake up to pee, slam a protein shake.

http://www.keepyourcooler.com/backpack-coolers.html

I bought one of these, I’m driving to work, at work, driving home from work all day (6am to 5pm) and this keeps all my meals cold with an ice pack in there.

Take 1 hour 1 day a week and precook and premake as much as you can. Tupperware is your friend. Toss the end of the week meals in the freezer to keep’m fresh.

It can be done.

As far as working out goes; i see you have an hour slated to eat before working out; really? 60min to consume a meal? Come on haha. Cut that time down a bunch and you’ll have an hour to lift…that’s plenty of time to make them muscles Grow!

Good luck!

Thanks for all the help, I’ll work on these.

I wish I could afford Surge, but we’ll see. I could probably skim off some from savings and buy some Surge to get me through this summer work schedule - but the problem is I heard that once you start Surge, you can’t stop, heh.

I’ve been eating fruit PWO but that has been keeping me awake, making the next morning a big sluggish (or day).

I have an hour between work and working out because I need time to make the food and eat it, and then you want to wait at least 30mins before working out after eating a meal, right?

I have a hecric life too. I cook 30 meals on a Sunday & freeze them. My diet is simple & then i get a cheat day to fulfill cravings.

Buy, divide & cook your meat & while you let it cool, divide your frozen greens. Add them together in small plastics dishes & freeze. Take them out as you need them.

Check out Dave Palumbos diet to. Simple as, cutting or bulking.

No one here lies around the house and monitors food intake…

One thing you should definately add to your arsenal is the protein shots made by IDS. They come in 42g shots and are extremely convenient for any occasion. I take them with me anywhere I know protein will be scarce. I was at a Phillies game about a month ago where all the stadium food is garbage and I slammed one in the late innings, they are money.

Another good use for these I have found is keeping a case in the bathroom for middle of the night pisses. Its 42g of protein in about 5 seconds. Additionally they don’t bother me at room temperature.

[quote]mjc381 wrote:
One thing you should definately add to your arsenal is the protein shots made by IDS. They come in 42g shots and are extremely convenient for any occasion. I take them with me anywhere I know protein will be scarce. I was at a Phillies game about a month ago where all the stadium food is garbage and I slammed one in the late innings, they are money.

Another good use for these I have found is keeping a case in the bathroom for middle of the night pisses. Its 42g of protein in about 5 seconds. Additionally they don’t bother me at room temperature.[/quote]

Those shots are complete BS. They are comprised entirely of collagen which does nothing for muscle building.