T Nation

Busting Plateus

Im a 21 year old powerlifter competeing for the first time in for years. Im doing the 181 class any my goals are:

Squat: 550 (just got 500x5 last week)

Bench: 335 (current max is 300)

Deadlift: 550 (just got 485x5 last week)

My competition is september 26th and ive just been doing basic 5x5 training with random assistance work. My question is is there a better system than the 5x5 or should i just stick to that program for now? And also what are the best assistance exercises for each lift?

[quote]NaturalDisasta wrote:
Im a 21 year old powerlifter competeing for the first time in for years. Im doing the 181 class any my goals are:

Squat: 550 (just got 500x5 last week)

Bench: 335 (current max is 300)

Deadlift: 550 (just got 485x5 last week)

My competition is september 26th and ive just been doing basic 5x5 training with random assistance work. My question is is there a better system than the 5x5 or should i just stick to that program for now? And also what are the best assistance exercises for each lift?
[/quote]

If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it. And assistance exercises depend on your weaknesses as a lifter. Good luck on your comp!

damn thats pretty strong, if you’re still gaining on 5x5 why stop? as to support work, find your weaknesses and work on them.

thanks for the quick replies i really appreciate it!

Working with chains and or bands in the form of reverse band stuff has really helped me. Board presses for bench has done wonders. You’ll be able to use heavier weight than you do now. That extra weight will build some serious confidence when you go back to the chest because you’ve handled that weight before.

Are you plateaued? On what lift?

Not sure what you’re asking for.

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Are you plateaued? On what lift?

Not sure what you’re asking for.[/quote]

My bad. It is kind of a broad question, basically i would like to know ways to increase my pr’s for all three lifts.

Squat day ill do 5x5, then do leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises

Deadlift day 5x5, then shrugs and lat pulldowns and cable rows, then barbell curls

Bench day, i do 5x5, then incline, dips, and crazy 8s for triceps

is there anything i could add or i should stop doing in my routines to improve my lifts?

[quote]StrengthDawg wrote:
Working with chains and or bands in the form of reverse band stuff has really helped me. Board presses for bench has done wonders. You’ll be able to use heavier weight than you do now. That extra weight will build some serious confidence when you go back to the chest because you’ve handled that weight before.[/quote]

That makes sense, thank u sir!!

[quote]NaturalDisasta wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Are you plateaued? On what lift?

Not sure what you’re asking for.[/quote]

My bad. It is kind of a broad question, basically i would like to know ways to increase my pr’s for all three lifts.

Squat day ill do 5x5, then do leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises

Deadlift day 5x5, then shrugs and lat pulldowns and cable rows, then barbell curls

Bench day, i do 5x5, then incline, dips, and crazy 8s for triceps

is there anything i could add or i should stop doing in my routines to improve my lifts?[/quote]

I’d add in more hamstring work, like GHR if you have one and Good mornings on squat day.

I would ditch the cable row for Kroc Row on deadlift day.

I would keep inclines, but hit key press or some Board presses for sets of 8-12.

Another good thing is to go to: http://train.elitefts.com/ and check out some stuff there

Other than that your strong as fuck :slight_smile:

since youre doing 5x5 im assuming you havent 1rep maxed in awhile. i would start working on heavier triples and singles to get used to heavier weights since your meet is not far away.

[quote]brauny96 wrote:

[quote]NaturalDisasta wrote:

[quote]Steel Nation wrote:
Are you plateaued? On what lift?

Not sure what you’re asking for.[/quote]

My bad. It is kind of a broad question, basically i would like to know ways to increase my pr’s for all three lifts.

Squat day ill do 5x5, then do leg extensions, leg curls, and calf raises

Deadlift day 5x5, then shrugs and lat pulldowns and cable rows, then barbell curls

Bench day, i do 5x5, then incline, dips, and crazy 8s for triceps

is there anything i could add or i should stop doing in my routines to improve my lifts?[/quote]

I’d add in more hamstring work, like GHR if you have one and Good mornings on squat day.

I would ditch the cable row for Kroc Row on deadlift day.

I would keep inclines, but hit key press or some Board presses for sets of 8-12.

Another good thing is to go to: http://train.elitefts.com/ and check out some stuff there

Other than that your strong as fuck :slight_smile:
[/quote]

Ill get right on it…thanks alot i appreciate it! Ill keep you guys updated on the progress/final results!