T Nation

Buspar (Buspirone)

Does anyone have some personal experience with this medication? I currently suffer from PTSD/Anxiety, and have been taking benzos, as needed, for about 10 years. Not until recently did I realize that my SHBG is sky high, and found that Benzos can cause this.

TRT has made my anxiety slightly worse. Only in the sense that I feel more “amped” which in turn makes me feel jacked up/anxious. I was able to take a benzo (clonazepam) when needed, but now I feel like I am almost always a little anxious, even going in to work, I have increased anxiety. Its definitely more pronounced the day after I inject.

I do know that an easy fix would be to lower my test dose, but I already am at 50mg a week, split into two doses. Ill have to go down to 40 a week here soon because I simply cannot control my blood pressure, even with 20mg of lisinopril. I know its anxiety related and not related to any other disease process because my BP will drastically come down if I take a benzo. (.25 of clonazepam is enough to make me calm through a normal day) But if I have an event that makes me anxious, (family event) I can take up to 1mg.

Basically I need something that will help me chill, and not just as needed. I know that buspar is considerably weaker than benzos, but it also acts differently and is taken everyday. My trough reading for TT on 40mg was 500, and on 50mg it was 558, not much of a difference but my body is telling me there is a big difference. I think if my TT goes over 700 or so (like after I inject) it causes the increased anxiety, hyperawareness.

Are there other state-of-health considerations?

Thyroid is good? See last paragraph in this post.
Using iodized salt to support thyroid hormone production?

Are you taking a good multi-vit with trace elements and iodine+selenium?
EFAs: fish oil, nuts, flax seed oil/meal?

E2 managed?

AM cortisol OK?

Blood sugar OK?

Do you take any heart burn meds that can cause mal-absorption of B-12 and minerals? Any foot/leg cramps indicative of magnesium deficiency?

Can’t help with the brain meds…

Recently had thyroid checked, and it was completely normal, Morning cortisol has been checked several times, normal. E2 managed with DIM (keep it in the mid 20’s), BS A1C has always come back good. No other health concerns. Liver values always come back at low normal.

Take fish oil daily (1600mg DHA/EPA), eats nuts almost daily. Don’t supplement with multivitamin. No heartburn meds, and no leg cramps (supplement with magnesium daily).

All of my lab work that I have done recently with my endo has come back normal. (thyroid, cortisol)

When I first started TRT, my TT was 800 and I was a wreck. Super anxious, high BP, just amped. Brought it down to 500, and felt much better, so I know it is related to increased total test. I suspect that my natural levels never went over 6-700 , and maybe my body just does not like it when I get my TT over 6-700, which im assuming is happening when I inject on a trough of 500. Injecting every 3.5 days, so I figure im probably going into the 700 range, easily.

It sucks because, when my TT was higher, I did feel all of the amazing effects of TRT, but my body just cant handle it. Unfortunate, because I felt great. I still feel “good” on this doseage, but I know it can feel better. I just cant handle it, unless maybe I can get something that can bring my overall anxiety down.

Do you take/drink any caffeine? I quit that recently and it has made a profound difference in my mood. I wasn’t even taking that much, about 200-400mg / day, but it made me anxious and irritable all day every day.

I’ll did take buspar for a while, it made me dizzy and didn’t help much with anxiety. I’ve taken several other anti depressants as well, like lexapro and remeron. None of them helped even close to the extent of quitting caffeine. Just throwing that out there.

Thanks. I actually make it a rule to stay away from stimulants. I use to love DMAA I think it was called.

If i drink caffeine, it’s maybe once every two weeks, and that’s maybe on a weekend, if I want to stay up later.

I have a baseline anxiety that isn’t so bad, mostly manageable, but the extra test makes it a little less manageable and it has a snowball effect. I feel like even just a mild calm down would help with my daily anxiety, and I could use the benzo as needed.

May just need to give it a try. Too bad it takes a few weeks to work. I like instant.

Thyroid “normal” results are quite meaningless as many are normal and have thyroid problems. The ranges are bogus.

TSH should be closer to 1.0
T3, T4, fT3, fT4 should be mid-range or a bit higher.

This is the bottom line:

• Evaluate your overall thyroid function by checking oral body temperatures as per the thyroid basics sticky. Thyroid hormone fT3 is what gets the job done and it regulates mitochondrial activity, the source of ATP which is the universal currency of cellular energy. This is part of the body’s temperature control loop. This can get messed up if you are iodine deficient. In many countries, you need to be using iodized salt. Other countries add iodine to dairy or bread.

TRT increases/restores metabolic rates and if thyroid function and/or adrenals cannot support the increased metabolic rates, guys on TRT can feel worse in some regards. And how the body reacts to that might be highly variable.

Many guys here have had thyroid problems that were very “normal”.

Using iodized salt to support thyroid hormone production?

Selenium is also important to thyroid function and many multi-vits will supply ~150mcg iodine and ~150mcg selenium.

Multi-vits also supply trace elements, many of those are incorporated into reaction sites in enzymes and enzymes rule most bio-activities in cells and body/brain.

AM cortisol should be >10 and preferably higher.

I am trying to find out if we can understand why your “body can’t handle it” and see Buspar as a bandaid, which you really might need. I see symptoms and would like to understand the cause, which may not happen…

I’ll post up my thyroid labs Monday. I don’t supplement with iodine or selenium. No multi vitamin, I do take zinc,magnesium,boron,d3, but i could never find a good multi, will have to look around.

Morning cortisol has been checked and it was 12, and 13.

Will check temps as well.

I do feel as though this is highly regulated by my mental state. For instance, no work today, haven’t felt my chest pounding or that anxiety tenseness. Just sitting in my car waiting to walk into work, brings on the anxious state.Will follow up Monday when I have access to temps and labs. Have a good one.

How much D3 do you take? How’s your sleep?

The best multi vitamins I’ve found are: Now Foods Adam, ON Men’s, Legion Athletics Triumph. Basically just avoid 1 a days.

Reminder that men should not normally take a vitamin that lists iron and if TRT makes RBC and hematocrit [HTC] high, avoid iron fortified breads, cereals and pasta, even some rice products are fortified.

Here are my thyroid labs. See anything off? Endo said they were normal, but if anyone sees something out of line, let me know. Need to grab a cheapy thermometer this afternoon so I can do the temps.

TSH 1.04 mcIU/mL ( 0.35 - 4.00 mcIU/mL )

t3 96 ng/dL ( 58 - 159 ng/dL )

t4 1.0 ng/dL (0.8 - 1.5 ng/dL )

@galgenstrick I recently brought my Vitamin D up to 80 Ref 30-140… I was using 10k iu and 500 mg calcium a day. Cut it back to 5k iu a day.

While TSH is a good number, T3 and T4 are well below midrange.

T3 and T4 are substantially bound to thyroid binding protein [TBP].
Only free thyroid hormones fT3 and fT4 matter and fT3 is the active hormone that regulated metabolic rate and temperatures. So your labs are not the complete picture. Body temps provide a better measure.

With low T3, I suspect that fT3 is low and body temperatures as well.

#Using iodized salt to support thyroid hormone production?

What were your AM Cortisol numbers?

The thyroixine lab says (Free Thyroxine t4) don’t know if that makes a difference.

I do use iodized salt, but not often, have cut it out a lot from my diet due to the TRT. I do have iodized salt at home.

AM Cortisol 14.4 and approx. 4 months later it was 13.9

Interesting on your vitamin D. I just got mine tested and came back at 60. I was on 10-15k iu per day.

My endo wanted me to separate all supplements from when I took my thyroid meds in the morning, so I started to take the d3 before bed. When I did that it absolutely wrecked my sleep, even more than it was already.

So I’ve cut all vitamin d supplements for a month and I’m progressively sleeping better every night.

I’ve read other case studies which showed a similar result. Especially affecting deep sleep or triggering full blown insomnia.

I’m interested to hear how your sleep is now and was on that amount of d3.

Interesting, I cant say that I have ever felt any sleep issues from the vitamin D. I usually take it after dinner, approx. anywhere between 6-8pm too. Could it have something to do with the fact that vitamin D is released when you’re in the sun, and if you’re in the sun, you aren’t in your natural sleep rythmn? Interesting.

Crappy thernometer at home. Will grab one on the way home from work tomorrow and follow through.

Was unable to get thermometer yesterday, will get one after work today.

Today temp, (have one at work) 0930 - 98.2 /confirmed with 2 readings. and again at 1330- 98.6

Yesterday I took my temp in the AM and it was 98.3. Im guessing my morning temps are low too, but I will find out and post.