T Nation

Business Idea, Where to Start?

Ok the basic idea is to Set up mall Kiosks outside of GNC in the mall and undercut GNCs prices in front of them, and even using that as an ad ploy. I plan on on popular stuff such as Jack3d, No Explode, or whatever flavor of the week supplement the military guys in my area are stuck on. I live by a big base and supplement shops are everywhere, and I see GNC flooded on a daileee. I plan on keeping your basic Protiens, Creatines, pre workouts, fat burners, and pro hormones.

I have some pretty cool marketing ideas, But does ANYONE have input on what I should carry, and does anyone know about ordering suppliments wholesale? I am still in the though process of this business, but I fully intend on doing it.

ALSO I want to market no BS stuff that gets gains. I would carry stuff like superdrol if I could, or basicaly anything on the cusp of being banned. The idea is to have an edgy shop that sells cheap no BS suppliments

IDEAS PLEASE!

Thanks guys.

boner pills.

[quote]theunionforever wrote:
Ok the basic idea is to Set up mall Kiosks outside of GNC in the mall and undercut GNCs prices in front of them[/quote]

GNC’s lease with the mall undoubtedly protects it against having a competitor within so many feet of its front door.

Not to mention a mall (who are owned by companies in the business of owning many malls) would never risk pissing off GNC (who is probably a tenant in every mid-market mall) by renting to some one location person.

General retail like this is for suckers, anyway. You’d do better giving gym employees/trainers a commission for pushing your products and giving your business card out.

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]theunionforever wrote:
Ok the basic idea is to Set up mall Kiosks outside of GNC in the mall and undercut GNCs prices in front of them[/quote]

GNC’s lease with the mall undoubtedly protects it against having a competitor within so many feet of its front door.

Not to mention a mall (who are owned by companies in the business of owning many malls) would never risk pissing off GNC (who is probably a tenant in every mid-market mall) by renting to some one location person.

General retail like this is for suckers, anyway. You’d do better giving gym employees/trainers a commission for pushing your products and giving your business card out.[/quote]

[quote]polo77j wrote:

[quote]Jewbacca wrote:

[quote]theunionforever wrote:
Ok the basic idea is to Set up mall Kiosks outside of GNC in the mall and undercut GNCs prices in front of them[/quote]

GNC’s lease with the mall undoubtedly protects it against having a competitor within so many feet of its front door.

Not to mention a mall (who are owned by companies in the business of owning many malls) would never risk pissing off GNC (who is probably a tenant in every mid-market mall) by renting to some one location person.

General retail like this is for suckers, anyway. You’d do better giving gym employees/trainers a commission for pushing your products and giving your business card out.[/quote]
[/quote]
Lol short and too the point. I was gonna say why not wait a page to be a dreamkiller, but I guess if the OP hasn’t even gotten to the point of checking out noncompete clauses in leases then he’s likely not to far thinking in his project. Though they may not be total noncompetes he might be able to place his kiosk in another part of the mall just not right out front.

Yeah I am going to look into the best possible option. Thanks for the input, and yeah “boner pills” sell like crazy. My friend and I used to bounce at a club and we sold a pill called “stree overlord” at the door and we sold out every week.

If you do manage to get something like this off the ground, I’d suggest that you do NOT ‘also carry the basics.’

There are plenty of stores that carry the basics. Stores with vastly more funding and advertising than you will ever have.

An analogy – It’s like these websites that constantly pop up, trying to do everything and be everything for everyone.

The world already has Yahoo & Google.

Focus on one specific niche market – you are enthusiastic about the more exotic trends in supplementation, so stick with that.

Figure out how to get a physical bottle of these things that guys have only vaguely read/heard about, into someone’s hands, with you as a real human able to answer basic questions that are answered in any FAQ.

[quote]Elegua360 wrote:
Focus on one specific niche market – you are enthusiastic about the more exotic trends in supplementation, so stick with that. [/quote]

This. Differentiating why the customer should buy from you versus GNC is going to be where it is at for you. You won’t win on being the cheapest source front as I guarantee you GNC have A LOT more wiggle room on their margins compared to you, completely due to high levels of procurement under contracts. So under cutting you would be no problem for them unless you can get these exotic supps at rock bottom wholesale prices.

I wish I would have gotten here earlier.

The one real advantage you can have over larger companies is speed of response. If someone like GNC sees a new product hitting the market that they want to sell they have to source it, label it, negotiate rates etc etc and it can take quite some time for them to actually get it to market.

However as a small business you have the ability to see something, and have it in the hands of your customers in a week. Eventually the big boys will undercut you but by then hopefully you’re on to the next big thing.

just my two cents.

This may be one of the worst business ideas i’ve ever seen.

A

This may be one of the worst business ideas i’ve ever seen.

This may be one of the worst business ideas i’ve ever seen.

Triple post, wow, but for emphasis I think each should remain;)

lol this post reminds me of tom green’s undercutter pizza

If you have direct contact with these people at your gym on base then buy wholesale and sell directly to them at enough below retail to keep them interested.

You won’t make any significant money doing this but you will be living the dream man!