Bush's Napoleon Complex

http://www.amconmag.com/2005_03_28/article.html

Very interesting comparison of Bush and Napoleon.

The question should be ARE YOU RSU? Come on tell us…are you?

Al is on Spring Break.

You will no doubt be insufferable till school starts.

I was just making the comparison between you and a troll. Very similar.

One thread from him was good. Now he’s just trashing up the political forum with B.S.

Hopefully the MODS can spot a political troll when they smell one and do something about this.

If you read it, ignoring the parts you don’t like of course, there is an interesting analysis of why the Iraqi army sucked and continues to suck.

I don’t know if it is accurate, but it interesting to consider. Countries that earn their revenues off of something other than the labor of their populace don’t get “close” to their populace and hence the populace isn’t willing to risk life and limb for the government.

Anyhow, I think if BB can pick and choose to post thousands of published articles, that Al can pick and choose to post published articles too. It might be nice if he slowed his pace a bit and didn’t swamp up, but it isn’t trolling to point out interesting articles and start discussion on them.

However, yes, I’m sure the types of articles being pointed out might inflame the conservatives who get offended when people ask questions. I can see how that might feel like trolling… to conservatives for sure.

funny. Article starts off “no two wars are ever the same…”, but the sub-headline is “what the french experience in spain could teach us about iraq”.
So which is it?

BTW, RJ, what thread from him was good?
I second the motion of the politcal troll.
The kid needs a job. Or a slap in the mouth, whichever.

Why would you ask questions anyway? Why don’t you have complete faith in the government? I mean bush is a guys guy, christsake he has a farm. He wouldn’t do anything bad.

The only reason a person would ask questions is to try to undermine the administration. With the war on terror, humanity can’t afford that! And just as soon as things start calming down, there is another terror alert. Asking questions is just downright unpatriotic. That’s why the patriot act is needed, so people that ask questions can be thrown into a hole, you know, to protect the rest of society.

I’m sure it’s only temporary. They’ll definately repeal it as soon as this war against an abstract concept is over.

vroom,

Read up on Napolean’s (really, his generals and subordinates ran most of it in the beginning) Spain debacle.

The article is pretty ridiculous on the analogy, and it doesn’t even make a good political analogy once you get by the facile stuff. There’s a pretty big difference between trying to establish your little brother as a King and getting the natives to form their own government, even if the initial form is restricted.

Besides which, the situation in Spain would be much more analgous to Afghanistan, assuming the Afghanis were united in wanting to remove the central government and attack the Americans, which they apparently aren’t. ADDENDUM: I should add that to make it more analagous, there would also need to be a Russian or Chinese Army there fighting against us, like the British were against the French armies in Spain. And of course it should be Neil Bush as President of Afghanistan, rather than Karzai, who was elected.

This is just dumb – an embodiment of “a little knowledge is a dangerous thing.” Al looks like he might be a bright kid, but he doesn’t have the knowledge base to question the quality of what he’s reading yet.

vroom wrote:
If you read it, ignoring the parts you don’t like of course, there is an interesting analysis of why the Iraqi army sucked and continues to suck.

I don’t know if it is accurate, but it interesting to consider. Countries that earn their revenues off of something other than the labor of their populace don’t get “close” to their populace and hence the populace isn’t willing to risk life and limb for the government.

Vroom

I think the Iraqi Army used to suck but these days they are getting a lot of respect from our guys. As are the Iraqi police. Once they have enough of them they will be very effective.

Some of the military blogs give you a very interesting and unfiltered perspective on the action going on. Sounds like when given the chance the free Iraqi forces kick some terrorist ass.

By the way. The issues I have with Al are not about the right to say something. It’s just the fact he is annoying. I mean everyone has an opinion but to just get your ass kicked over and over again and not realize it is just childish. He strikes me as somone who has not learned basic socialization skills. Another words…a troll. I wouldn’t miss him if he got yanked.

Anyhow, I think if BB can pick and choose to post thousands of published articles, that Al can pick and choose to post published articles too. It might be nice if he slowed his pace a bit and didn’t swamp up, but it isn’t trolling to point out interesting articles and start discussion on them.

However, yes, I’m sure the types of articles being pointed out might inflame the conservatives who get offended when people ask questions. I can see how that might feel like trolling… to conservatives for sure.

Now who was that guy that always said that historical comparisons tend to be bullshit…? Oh, that was me… :wink:

Makkun

Vroom,

Don’t you ever get tired of your own pedantry?

Not every question raised is a good one, even if you are asking it while rubbing your chin, trying to seem thoughtful and important.

I like good liberal critiques of the adminstration, conservatism, history, etc.Unfortunately, there are in short supply here.

To show up and vomit up thread after thread of wild-eyed claims and silly ideas is the very essence of trolling - regardless of political stripe.

Hey Al: What do you want to be when you grow up?

Guys, the rapidfire thread after thread part I find troubling, regardless of any other aspects.

Instead of crying TROLL whenever we don’t like something, basically, asking the mods to intervene, why don’t we try to ask the person to slow the pace a bit?

After all, it’s not hard to ignore someone or someones posts as long as they aren’t swamping the whole place.

Doing the whole “your an idiot” and “you need to grow up” and “your posts are stupid” just isn’t the same thing…

I don’t think that the problems Napoleon faced in Spain can be compared to what Bush is facing in Iraq. The Spanish without the help of the British and the intellect of Wellington would most likely have crumbled under the French. True that Partisans caused a lot of havoc for the French but without the backing of the British they would have been stamped on.

vroom -

I have it on very good authority that he has been talked to by those on his side. He has been told to tone it down. Yet he continues.

I hate going to restaraunts, and having a screaming spoiled brat kid sitting at the table behind me. It ruins the whole experience. I won’t let my kids act that way, and I won’t tolerate it when a spoiled brat kid won’t shut the hell up.

Since Al Jr. is obviously a dead ringer for said spoiled brat. I won’t tolerate it.

Bah, I hear a lot of whining and crying becuase somebody has a point of view you don’t like.

Sounds like all those claims of everybody has the right to free speech just went out the window – because you don’t like what is being said?

:wink:

P.S. I really am with you on the rapid fire volume concept… whether it be from left or right. That’s monopolization, which is whole different political kettle of fish!

Poor Vroom,

“Bah, I hear a lot of whining and crying becuase somebody has a point of view you don’t like.”

Actually, you don’t. Most of us here appreciate a good debate.

“Sounds like all those claims of everybody has the right to free speech just went out the window – because you don’t like what is being said?”

Isn’t it an exercise of free speech to yell at someone for wasting the forum’s time with useless trolling and silly drivel?

No one here suggested that Al Spades get locked in a gulag for his opinions.

Vroom, contemplate that free speech is a door that swings both ways - and getting after someone for being a troll is not denying them speech, it is merely countering them.

If us mean ole conservatives didn’t tolerate other points of view, why would we even bother coming to this site and debating?

Get over your sanctimonious self-righteuosness.

[quote]vroom wrote:
Bah, I hear a lot of whining and crying becuase somebody has a point of view you don’t like.

Sounds like all those claims of everybody has the right to free speech just went out the window – because you don’t like what is being said?[/quote]

Show me one quote wrt Al Jr. where I have entered into debate with him. I could care less about his argument. What I have a problem with is his attitude. And that is pretty much all I’ve posted about wrt this kiddo.

I’m all for free speech, but I don’t think punk kids with no respect for others should be allowed to start threads ad nauseum, or monopolize other threads. If I had a kid that acted like him - he’d have a sore ass right now. Free speech, or not.

I like Al. I used to be just like him. You are supposed to be idealistic when you are young and dumb.

[quote]doogie wrote:
I like Al. I used to be just like him. You are supposed to be idealistic when you are young and dumb.[/quote]

I’m not faulting him for his idealism. I think everyone is when they are young, dumb, and full of… It’s his attitude. It’s his personal attacks. It’s the fact that he has no idea why he is so idealisic.