Bush and Colbert

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
People were scared to laugh.[/quote]

Scared of who?

He didn’t ‘punk’ anyone - the folks in DC with real jobs went back to work the next day. Only the chattering class thinks Colbert’s ‘routine’ did something.

Of what? If Colbert had half the sack you think claim he does, he’d have said so much more. No, the audience didn’t laugh for the same reasons your future in-laws wouldn’t laugh if you started telling dirty jokes the first time you met them at their house - it doesn’t fit the expectation and it is out of place.

god bless colbert, he didnt just attack the adminstration ,he attacked the media,fox news,liberals. what he said reguardless if you think he “bombed” took balls…

I just saw the Colbert Report.

He did a segment on how badly he bombed. They were making cricket noises when the camera panned to the audience.

Even he knows how bad it was but at least he admits it and has a sense of humor about it.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:
BostonBarrister wrote:
orion wrote:

He flopped badly? You did see the video, right?

Check out the coverage on C-SPAN. Clearly, the room was not laughing.

I saw it live. He flopped. It was not funny and people were not laughing.

I don’t know if it was his material or delivey but it was not good.

Bush and his clone were far funnier in poking fun at Bush.[/quote]

I just watched the Bush and imitator bit, thought it was pretty weak. Colbert didn’t hit it out of the park, the Helen Thomas bit definitely ran too long, but he was a lot funnier than the Bush clone bit. Colbert may not be as funny as Steve Carrell or Jon Stewart, but I still get a kick out of his over-the-top Bill O’Reilly schtick.

I was kind of wondering if Bush wasn’t supposed to be somewhat dignified and presidential at all times.

I didn’t know you guys had elected a comedian.

Maybe if he’s willing to act the clown you guys can stop acting like he is a demigod?

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
orion wrote:

A) He had his laughs, I downloaded the piece via bittorrent and

B) his real audience was not in that room!

He got the reaction he needed to make it a success with his real audience. You know, him being a performer in the era of visual mass media…

Yes, that is exactly the point - Colbert flopped for the job he had. He had an agenda beyond the room itself. No problem, but let’s not pretend he wowed 'em at the dinner.

As someone commented “forgive Colbert - he is not used to delivering his material to people old enough to buy their own clothes”.

And further, the only people that were ‘blown away’ by Colbert were half-literate twits who think he was ‘brave’ and oh so biting - see Harris above for an example. Outside of the shrieking moonbats, everyone was nonplussed,

So - did Colbert use this opportunity to connect with his ‘bigger’ audience? Yes. Was that a good thing? Not to the adult world.[/quote]

No, ninny…YOU were nonplussed, as was the audience there who contained the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who are not generally regarded as the perfect comedy room.

You ever BEEN to the Press Correspondents Dinner? No. Guess what: I have. NO ONE gets laughs, besides the polite ones afforded the president.

Besides, no one else thinks it’s terrifying that the entire premise of the president’s “bit” was that he’s a retard?

Colbert was honest to the point of being cruel about EVERYBODY in the room. He was funny.

“Not to the adult world”? What the fuck does that mean? Does the adult world think that comedians should just smile and tell knock-knock jokes when given the chance to mock the single most incompetent president we’ve had this century?

Of course he had an agenda: you’re just pissy that it wasn’t yours.

[quote]vroom wrote:
I was kind of wondering if Bush wasn’t supposed to be somewhat dignified and presidential at all times.

Maybe if he’s willing to act the clown you guys can stop acting like he is a demigod?[/quote]

Have you never seen the correspondents’ dinner before?

[quote]vroom wrote:

Maybe if he’s willing to act the clown you guys can stop acting like he is a demigod?[/quote]

If you had any common sense at all, you would know that the media dinner is supposed to be a somehwat light-hearted shindig to lighten the mood between the media and the administration. Self-effacing humor is the standard fare.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

No, ninny…YOU were nonplussed, as was the audience there who contained the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who are not generally regarded as the perfect comedy room.[/quote]

Let’s see - you just said yourself it wasn’t the perfect comedy room. Exactly. That explains why they were non-plussed, per my point - they weren’t expecting Colbert to do that kind of routine, and it missed its mark for the audience there.

I wasn’t measuring by how much the audience slapped the table and guffawed (or didn’t) - I am measuring by the response after the fact.

Seriously? You must easily frightened. Again, I don’t think Colbert was particularly biting, mostly blindly partisan. If that is your version of ‘speaking truth to power’, score one for ‘power’.

Naah, he was an opportunist.

It means exactly what it says it means.

And you’ve proved the point - Colbert’s routine only generated heat with the moonbat contingency, of which you are a part. Comedians can make jokes about the President - watch Letterman or Leno every night - that has nothing to do with any of this.

It is about Colbert being invited to do a job and, intoxicated with his agenda, he didn’t do all that great of a job. The rest of the world has moved on - only the moonbattery is still chirping about how “awe-thum!” it was, with unintentionally funny ‘thank you’ websites and the like.

[quote]Of course he had an agenda: you’re just pissy that it wasn’t yours.
[/quote]

Nope - in situations like that, as with the Alfred Smith dinner, there is a certain vibe - Colbert didn’t deliver, mainly because he saw it an opportunity to so something else. No problem, but let’s not pretend it was some revolutionary savaging on President Bush - it was the Left’s usual sarcasm hidden behind humor: as in, the sarcasm is supposed to be serious right up until someone challenges them, and then suddenly it’s “I am a comedian! I do funny! Don’t get so bent out of shape!”

As I said before, I think Colbert is a pretty funny guy - although this brand of satire generally I think is losing its steam as a fad.

I did find Bush’s skit amusing but Corbert made me laugh until tears came from my eyes because I could feel the tension in the room through the TV.

Loved it!

Just like I laughed until tears came to my eyes when John Stewart hosted the Oscars and satirically ripped Hollywood apart.

The reaction John Stewart recieved at the Grammy’s was identical to the reaction Corbert receieved at the Corrospondents Dinner.

If you think Corbert bomb then so did Stewart.

I am consistent but the right wingnuttery on this site has proved they are not.

Politicians and actors/actresses are a bunch of @$$h@ts.

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:
I did find Bush’s skit amusing but Corbert made me laugh until tears came from my eyes because I could feel the tension in the room through the TV.

Loved it!

Just like I laughed until tears came to my eyes when John Stewart hosted the Oscars and satirically ripped Hollywood apart.

The reaction John Stewart recieved at the Grammy’s was identical to the reaction Corbert receieved at the Corrospondents Dinner.

Politicians and actors/actresses are a bunch of @$$h@ts.[/quote]

marmadogg,

Stewart got laughs and positive reaction from the crowd at the Oscars (unlike Chris Rock when he was ripping on Jude Law the previous year - that was a flop, though I thought it was funny) - Colbert got zip.

BTW, I’ve only quoted liberals for back up of the opinion that Colbert flopped.

I suppose we can parse the definition of flopped some more, but Colbert got siginificantly more silence than other correspondent dinner hosts I have watched. Colbert has essentially admitted he flopped. The mere fact that he said some stuff that some people agree with doesn’t mitigate the fact it went over like a lead balloon with most people, including a lot of people who agreed with the political points.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

Loved it!

Politicians and actors/actresses are a bunch of @$$h@ts.

marmadogg,

Stewart got laughs and positive reaction from the crowd at the Oscars (unlike Chris Rock when he was ripping on Jude Law the previous year - that was a flop, though I thought it was funny) - Colbert got zip.

BTW, I’ve only quoted liberals for back up of the opinion that Colbert flopped.

I suppose we can parse the definition of flopped some more, but Colbert got siginificantly more silence than other correspondent dinner hosts I have watched. Colbert has essentially admitted he flopped. The mere fact that he said some stuff that some people agree with doesn’t mitigate the fact it went over like a lead balloon with most people, including a lot of people who agreed with the political points.[/quote]

I am not arguing that Colbert’s audience did not like his routine but I did.

I do not care about his audience.

I wrote ‘the truth hurts’ to draw out the ‘moonbats’ on the right.

It predictably worked.

Cheers!

[quote]Marmadogg wrote:

It predictably worked.

Cheers![/quote]

Unfortunately, like many of your conclusions, it’s a non sequiter.

This whole thread is about whether Colbert flopped or not, so depending on how you are defining flop, the audience matters a lot more than your personal like or dislike of his material.

And as for “the truth hurts,” please, recycling an old aphorism and applying it to an opinion isn’t really saying anything at all…

I laughed at the end of Platoon.

Funny movie. Way more funny than Colbert’s routine.

[quote]BostonBarrister wrote:
Marmadogg wrote:

It predictably worked.

Cheers!

Unfortunately, like many of your conclusions, it’s a non sequiter.

This whole thread is about whether Colbert flopped or not, so depending on how you are defining flop, the audience matters a lot more than your personal like or dislike of his material.

And as for “the truth hurts,” please, recycling an old aphorism and applying it to an opinion isn’t really saying anything at all…[/quote]

Opinions are like @$$holes.

You are just going to have to agree to disagree with me on this one.

was he funny, yes, to me at least, some of it was. was it biting and poignant? yes, that too a few times. but as i predicted as i watched this, the left peanut gallery went wild, claiming this shtick to be the next coming of Christ. haha, truth of it is, if he(Colbert) or anyone for that matter got up there and said; “GW, you are a big ole stupid-head! BLEGH!” the left would have cheered just as much.

on the other hand, though i am conservative(too bad bush is not), i have to admit, that this administration is giving the comedians (typically left- leaning anyhoo) a lot of ammunition/material to work with. more so than even Clinton, and that is saying a lot!

[quote]thunderbolt23 wrote:
harris447 wrote:

No, ninny…YOU were nonplussed, as was the audience there who contained the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who are not generally regarded as the perfect comedy room.

Let’s see - you just said yourself it wasn’t the perfect comedy room. Exactly. That explains why they were non-plussed, per my point - they weren’t expecting Colbert to do that kind of routine, and it missed its mark for the audience there.

You ever BEEN to the Press Correspondents Dinner? No. Guess what: I have. NO ONE gets laughs, besides the polite ones afforded the president.

I wasn’t measuring by how much the audience slapped the table and guffawed (or didn’t) - I am measuring by the response after the fact.

Besides, no one else thinks it’s terrifying that the entire premise of the president’s “bit” was that he’s a retard?

Seriously? You must easily frightened. Again, I don’t think Colbert was particularly biting, mostly blindly partisan. If that is your version of ‘speaking truth to power’, score one for ‘power’.

Colbert was honest to the point of being cruel about EVERYBODY in the room. He was funny.

Naah, he was an opportunist.

“Not to the adult world”? What the fuck does that mean?

It means exactly what it says it means.

Does the adult world think that comedians should just smile and tell knock-knock jokes when given the chance to mock the single most incompetent president we’ve had this century?

And you’ve proved the point - Colbert’s routine only generated heat with the moonbat contingency, of which you are a part. Comedians can make jokes about the President - watch Letterman or Leno every night - that has nothing to do with any of this.

It is about Colbert being invited to do a job and, intoxicated with his agenda, he didn’t do all that great of a job. The rest of the world has moved on - only the moonbattery is still chirping about how “awe-thum!” it was, with unintentionally funny ‘thank you’ websites and the like.

Of course he had an agenda: you’re just pissy that it wasn’t yours.

Nope - in situations like that, as with the Alfred Smith dinner, there is a certain vibe - Colbert didn’t deliver, mainly because he saw it an opportunity to so something else. No problem, but let’s not pretend it was some revolutionary savaging on President Bush - it was the Left’s usual sarcasm hidden behind humor: as in, the sarcasm is supposed to be serious right up until someone challenges them, and then suddenly it’s “I am a comedian! I do funny! Don’t get so bent out of shape!”

As I said before, I think Colbert is a pretty funny guy - although this brand of satire generally I think is losing its steam as a fad. [/quote]

A fad? Making fun of politicians for being danferously incompetent is a fad?

You’re right. Let’s dig up Bob Hope so he can tell some “jokes” about the preident’s golf game.

Have you even heard the routine? he did get laughs.

But of course, the right will say he didn’t. Same reason the left said Imus bombed when he made fun of the Clintons.

It’s an easy way to avoid talking about the subject of his jokes. The fact that Bush is, you know, the worst president of the century.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

A fad? Making fun of politicians for being danferously incompetent is a fad?[/quote]

No, dumbass, the fad of ‘fake news’ satire made famous by Stewart, Colbert, and Carrell, etc., not making fun of politicans. Crikey.

Yes, I even laughed at parts of it.

[quote]It’s an easy way to avoid talking about the subject of his jokes. The fact that Bush is, you know, the worst president of the century.
[/quote]

You are right - Bush is both the best and worst President of the 21st century, since he is the only one who has participated in it. Nice job, Harris.

[quote]harris447 wrote:

Have you even heard the routine? he did get laughs.

But of course, the right will say he didn’t. Same reason the left said Imus bombed when he made fun of the Clintons.

[/quote]

I saw it live. His laughs were pity laughs.

Colbert opened his show last night with a bit on how badly he bombed.

When the camera panned to the audience they were playing cricket sounds.

He said the audience carried him off on their shoulders. Not becaise they though he was good but just to end his routine. He knows it was a dud.

[quote]Zap Branigan wrote:

Colbert opened his show last night with a bit on how badly he bombed.

When the camera panned to the audience they were playing cricket sounds.

He said the audience carried him off on their shoulders. Not becaise they though he was good but just to end his routine. He knows it was a dud.[/quote]

Now see, that is Colbert at his finest.

Btw, did you guys know that Colbert and Steve Carrell were the voices of the Ambiguously Gay Duo on SNL? I did not know that.