Bush actually makes a good speech!?!

From the AF Academy graduation:

“This is the great challenge of our time, the storm in which we fly. History is once again witnessing a great clash. This is not a clash of civilizations. The civilization of Islam, with its humane traditions of learning and tolerance, has no place for this violent sect of killers and aspiring tyrants. This is not a clash of religions. The faith of Islam teaches moral responsibility that enobles men and women, and forbids the shedding of innocent blood. Instead, this is a clash of political visions. In the terrorists’ vision of the world, the Middle East must fall under the rule of radical governments, moderate Arab states must be overthrown, nonbelievers must be expelled from Muslim lands, and the harshest practice of extremist rule must be universally enforced. In this vision, books are burned, terrorists are sheltered, women are whipped, and children are schooled in hatred and murder and suicide. Our vision is completely different. We believe that every person has a right to think and pray and live in obedience to God and conscience, not in frightened submission to despots. (Applause.) We believe that societies find their greatness by encouraging the creative gifts of their people, not in controlling their lives and feeding their resentments. And we have confidence that people share this vision of dignity and freedom in every culture because liberty is not the invention of Western culture, liberty is the deepest need and hope of all humanity.”

And he’s right.

That is what I love about this guy, he is right on.

Jeff

P.S. His speechwriter costs George H.W. Bush millions each year.

He is right. He also does not leave a gray area open for interpetation. That is what drives the other politicians and diplomats nuts.

Yeah, but did he stutter at ANY point? I mean, come on, I don’t really care about his policies, but if he fumbled a word in front of a billion viewers and a press that was going to parse over every syllable with a microscope, he must be stupid, right?

Iraq was not a fundamentalist state. They were not ruled by a theocracy. Their connection with terrorism was tenuous, and was limited to the immediate region. Saddam and Bin Laden hated each other.

What exactly was so great about this speech? The president still has no idea what to do with the mess he’s made. If the speech was supposed to outline our purpose in Iraq, why didn’t he give this speech a year ago?

Lumpy,

Where did he mention Iraq in that quote? I didn’t see it. He said, "the terrorists’ vision is . . . . " Who do you think of when you think of “terrorists?” Bin Liden and crew. Now tell me: do you think Bush’s description of what Bin Laden and AQ desire is somehow wrong or inaccurate? If so, please explain.