T Nation

Bursting Capillaries

i went through the first day of the growth surge phase in the growth surge project today, after my morning session (which i worked out pretty tough in) i went to school and all my friends kept asking me all day what had happened to my face, it turns out that because i was training improperly (i dont know, not breathing or something) that i burst a few capillaries all over my face i looked like a pizza!

has this ever happened to anyone before?
did you recover?
how do you avoid it?

cheers

I’ve had it happen to my eye but never in my face. My eye stayed like that for about a week and then went back to normal.

Hopefully you’re breathing as you lift. Don’t hold your breath too much.

It is probably just petechiae. Do a google search and you can find some info. I have never had it in the gym, but have had it from coughing too much or throwing up a bit hard.

Iceing it as soon as it happens will help. Learning to breath when lifting will also help avoid it.

If you’re breathing right and such, it can still happen. Your blood pressure soars to enourmous levels when lifting heavy loads. Try to breath right, but if it continues, don’t worry about it too much.

It’s happened to me after a heavy night and throwing up

[quote]helga wrote:
It is probably just petechiae. Do a google search and you can find some info. I have never had it in the gym, but have had it from coughing too much or throwing up a bit hard.

Iceing it as soon as it happens will help. Learning to breath when lifting will also help avoid it.[/quote]

did a google search.petechiae can also be caused by deficiency of vitamin c, not sure that this is the cause though as i have vitamin c tabs everyday lol

it happened to me a while ago, ended up with a bunch of little red lines all over my face, and it happened right before a vacation…oh well, it’ll wore off in a few days so i wouldn’t worry too much…