T Nation

Burpee Challenge!

I just tried this and failed. It was a killer!

For those who dont know, the Burpee Challenge is 100 Burpees in 10 minutes!

I managed 88 burpees! probably a burpee every 7 seconds. Working it out you have to have done 1 burpee every 6 seconds to get the full 100, which is esay enough for the first 2-3 minutes, but once the fatigue sets in, its an entirely different story!

Just thought id let you guys know :slight_smile:

Few weeks ago I did this exact workout. 100 burpees in 9:52. I think I could beat that now.

what are burpies again?

I believe a burpee as they are describing it (sounds like it is out of Ross E’s book) is basically an 8 count bodybuilder (squat thrust is another name for it) but with a push up added in the low postion and a vertical jump added at the end. They very taxing and great for lactate/anaerobic endurance. I do them fairly often for conditioing for Muay Thai.

My hat off to those who try the challenge, it burns like an M’er F’er.

Burpee Conditioning

If you find yourself lost and confused with your strength and conditioning work, I have one exercise that will crank up the intensity, and won’t cost you a dollar. Let’s forget about all the “ancient” breathing systems and latest fitness devices.

A few minutes of Burpee conditioning will quickly convince you that your own natural bodyweight provides plenty of resistance for an ass-kicking workout that blasts your stamina and fat loss through the roof.

First, let’s get started by discussing the specifics of a Burpee. Burpees will condition your entire body. This exercise will develop strength, explosive power, and anaerobic endurance.

To perform a Burpee:

Begin in a squat position with hands on the floor in front of you.

Kick your feet back to a pushup position*.

Immediately return your feet to the squat position.

Leap up as high as possible from the squat position.

Repeat, moving as fast as possible. You should maintain a fast pace for this exercise. Strive for maximum height with each jump. Most athletes will average between 12 and 15 repetitions per 30 seconds.

• Notice how I highlighted Step 2. You can increase the intensity of the Burpee by altering this step. If you prefer the easy way out, you will maintain straight arms as you kick your feet back. You will end in the upright position of a pushup (arms fully extended). You would then continue by returning your feet to the squat position, and conclude with an explosive jump into the air. If you really want to crank up the intensity, you will?

I second that BJ! before I have never done them for more than 30 seconds. Mixed in with other stuff in a drill circuit!

I managed the first 50 in just under 5 minutes, but everything went to shit the last 90 seconds or so!

I gues its a goal to work for :). Have you tried any of Ross E’s other 10 minute challenges?

Yours,
Beev

[quote]NBeev1 wrote:
I second that BJ! before I have never done them for more than 30 seconds. Mixed in with other stuff in a drill circuit!

I managed the first 50 in just under 5 minutes, but everything went to shit the last 90 seconds or so!

I gues its a goal to work for :). Have you tried any of Ross E’s other 10 minute challenges?

Yours,
Beev[/quote]

Sounds like an incredibly tiring challenge1

Whose “Ross E?”

[quote]BPC wrote:
Sounds like an incredibly tiring challenge1

Whose “Ross E?”

[/quote]

Try this 10 minute challange by ross E. It’s a mix of the burpee challenge plus a little bit of EDT. Do 5 DB swings with each arm and then do 5 burpees. continue for 10 straight minutes. If for some reason you think that is easy then go for 15 or 20 minutes or get yourself a heavier DB.

One of my favorite challanges is this. Be prepared to puke your guts out.

400 meters of sandbag carry (or any other heavy object), 400 meter run without the sandbag, and then clean and press the sandbag 10 times. there is NO rest in between these exercises. Have fun with this one.

Ross Enamait. He has a couple of great S&C books for combat athletes or anyone whom wants to get into shape. He is a stand up guy, even helped set up a program for my wife through email.