T Nation

Burns

Not new to lifting or to this site but I’ve read through just about everything concerning all of these training methods and I was wondering about burns, you know, in ye olden days of bodybuilding I think they used them in their routines. If you don’t know what a burn is , it’s a rep followed by 3-6 mini reps before you move on to the next full range rep.

Imagine you’re there bar in hand just reaching the top range of your first rep, now instead of lowering it 100% and going for #2, you do 3-6 1/4 range reps before going on to your next rep. You can’t use anywhere near the usual weight but afterwards your arms feel like they are going to explode, and for days afterwards they are rock hard and you notice you suddenly have the best post work outpump and hardness you’ve ever had…and this lasts until the next session and never goes away. That’s a burn.

I just started using them…and I mean on everything. They do wonders for the shoulders when you do military press too. Same for lats- try an underhand grip bring it low toward the waist instead of high toward the chest when you row, this way you eliminate a lot of what feels like rear deld strain. A side effect of the underhand grip is that it hits the biceps with weight you couldn’t even move in a barbell curl, and once again you get that massive rock hard pump.

I’m a big fan of them now and they seem to work much better than any other suggestions I’ve tried. When doing burns I kept it to either 5x5 or 6x6 with a weight I could actually move but which killed me on sets 4 and 5, or 5 and 6.

Any one have any experience using burns? Let me know what you thought, and I don’t mean give me MRI or white paper data on the biomechanics and why they shouldn’t be effective- just tell me if you use them and if they work for you. If you don’t use them, try them- use the sissy weight, dont be afraid, but bet you’ll see great results in a little while and eventually be using those big weights you’re used to, only this time not stuck in a rut wondering why the bicep cant break 17 inches.

In case you’re wondering, my name refers to the Navy Seals work out I did a while back- it’s very effective and a lot of fun at the same time. It’s not that towel training buds crap you might have seen in a book either, it’s the real deal PT they have to go thru…pull ups, dips, sit ups, inhuman amounts of push ups, etc. If you don’t have access to a weight room I totaly suggest you incorporate it into your routine. Yeah, even 290lb walking pharmaceutical labs won’t be able to get through it for a few weeks if at all so that gives hope to you guys who still have necks- trust me you’ll want to stick with if once you try it.

I have used partials in the past, either at the end of a set or as a complete set with a heavier weight. Like all the other intestity techniques I have used - drop sets, extended sets, iso holds, etc. they are worthwile if rotated and not overused. It is very easy to go all out with such techniques because when first introduced they produce such an immediate sense of resluts.

What I will do is split my training between Power/Mass blocks, and during Mass blocks use intenstity tactics on the last set of an exercise. Most of the time, I let waves of periodization between load and volume take care of my gains.