T Nation

Burning Fat, Gaining Muscle

I know Im beating a dead horse here. But I have a question for those of you who know how the body works in depth. Theoretical, what would happen If I followed a bulking regimen Monday-Thursday, and then an EXTREME cut Friday through Sunday? Monday through Thursday being in a 500 calorie daily surplus, and Friday through Sunday eating 600 calories a day divided in 6 portions. Would I theoretically build muscle M-T and lose fat F-Su or what would happen?

k

well, cut me some slack. I just want to learn. That’s why I came here, to learn why things won’t work, not to be mocked.

I spun my wheels early in my training life trying this type of strategy, for about 4 months I went absolutely no where and decided to drop it. I do not know the science behind it but it certainly did not work for me.

If you are still considering yourself a beginner, focus on beginner stuff first. Make sure you are hitting your protein and calories intake 7/365, learn how to weigh food, and figure out what kind of eating strategy works best for you and stick with it. There is no need to complicate things at this point.

You’re body doesn’t operate on a 24 hour schedule just bc it’s convenient for you. That is, your body isn’t going to switch from building muscle to losing fat everyday. If you do what you are talking about doing, you will get nowhere.

That seems like an odd thing to do. Just keep eating and lifting.

If you’re new to lifting, you’d be able drop bf and gain muscle.

There is an article here on T Nation talking about a similar program, except the weekend isn’t low calorie… it’s low fat. So it’s something like 5 days low carb, high fat, and 2 days low fat, high carb.

Look at the nutrition articles for more.

Most people would advise you to do this for the day, not the week… I.e. fast during the day, train, then feast. AKA warrior diet/ leangains / renegade diet. That being said… If you’re new to lifting, work HARD (compound lifts, full body training. No, lateral raises to failure are not hard work) and learn to eat right.

[quote]GalacticToast wrote:
I know Im beating a dead horse here.[/quote]
Notsomuch beating a dead horse, just trying to find a shortcut to getting huge and ripped. If it was out there, man, we’d’ve found it by now.

You shouldn’t really need to know how the body works “in depth” to understand that it just doesn’t work this way. Can you get 1 hour of sleep Monday to Thursday and then 15 hours of sleep Friday to Sunday and still function? Hey, it still works out to 49 hour of sleep, just like if you’d slept a straight 7 hours every night. Right?!? :wink:

Years ago, there was a training and diet plan floating around actually called the ABCDE plan - Anabolic Burst Cycle of Diet and Exercise. Basically you were supposed to do an all-out bulk for two weeks and then do a hardcore cutting diet for two weeks, repeated for several months. Simply put, it didn’t work.

When you increase calories and try to bulk up fast, the body can only process so many nutrients before you start storing much more fat than muscle. After a certain point, you just can’t force-feed lean muscle growth. And whenever you’re cutting, the faster you try to get results, the higher the chance for muscle loss.

Put it all together, whether it’s two weeks at a time or every few days, and you end up going in circles like everyone’s said. End up getting fat, then diet and lose muscle, try again, end up getting fat, then diet and lose muscle.

[quote]1 Man Island wrote:
There is an article here on T Nation talking about a similar program, except the weekend isn’t low calorie… it’s low fat. So it’s something like 5 days low carb, high fat, and 2 days low fat, high carb.[/quote]
This sounds basically like the Anabolic Diet. Generally low carb, high protein, moderate to high fat during the week, lower fat and high carb on the weekends (the “carb up” period). That’s not necessarily the same as cycling total calories, but it’s a popular and effective option for some people.

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
No, lateral raises to failure are not hard work) and learn to eat right.[/quote]

Oh rly?

Try doing a hard set of 10, drop the weight in half, do 10 more, then do 30 partials with 10-20lbs more than your weight at the start of the set…no cheating, strict form throughout. Do 4 rounds.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
No, lateral raises to failure are not hard work) and learn to eat right.[/quote]

Oh rly?

Try doing a hard set of 10, drop the weight in half, do 10 more, then do 30 partials with 10-20lbs more than your weight at the start of the set…no cheating, strict form throughout. Do 4 rounds. [/quote]

if you can do 30 strict partials at the end of all that shit then your “hard set of 10” wasn’t all that hard to begin with

how would you do 10-20 lbs more than your “hard set” also, thats probably around your 5-6RM?

why would you cut every week? that is retarded

the purpose of cutting is to cut excess bodyfat, if you have to do it every week then you are eating too much shit during bulks and getting fat

Captain Picard has gotten questions like this in the past and they are usually from noobs and he just facepalms every time he gets a question like this, it makes him tired.

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]nighthawkz wrote:
No, lateral raises to failure are not hard work) and learn to eat right.[/quote]

Oh rly?

Try doing a hard set of 10, drop the weight in half, do 10 more, then do 30 partials with 10-20lbs more than your weight at the start of the set…no cheating, strict form throughout. Do 4 rounds. [/quote]

if you can do 30 strict partials at the end of all that shit then your “hard set of 10” wasn’t all that hard to begin with

how would you do 10-20 lbs more than your “hard set” also, thats probably around your 5-6RM?
[/quote]

You ever done partials? You can use a lot of weight, the deltoids are actually fairly strong muscles but you can’t usually use much weight on most “traditional” delt exercises due to a long lever arm (i.e. your arm length). Partials don’t have a long lever arm, thus a lot more weight. Very very easy to do 10-20 more lbs on partials then full ROM side raises.

even so, can’t imagine you doing strict partials after something like your 10RM, with 10-20 more lbs?

most lat raises videos ive seen use momentum

[quote]qeynos wrote:
even so, can’t imagine you doing strict partials after something like your 10RM, with 10-20 more lbs?

most lat raises videos ive seen use momentum[/quote]

It is hard to imagine, because it’s quite challenging. But it’s completely doable, even with nazi strict form. You’re likely gonna only be getting the weight up 1/3 of the ROM by the end, if that, but still activating the side delts with constant TUT. I promise people do it. Having never tried this and tested the limits of your side delts, you can’t really assess can you?

Have you seriously never done a drop set before?

Man, you like to question everything everyone posts on this site, don’t you? You’re either a troll or a hipster…can’t tell yet.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:
even so, can’t imagine you doing strict partials after something like your 10RM, with 10-20 more lbs?

most lat raises videos ive seen use momentum[/quote]

It is hard to imagine, because it’s quite challenging. But it’s completely doable, even with nazi strict form. You’re likely gonna only be getting the weight up 1/3 of the ROM by the end, if that, but still activating the side delts with constant TUT. I promise people do it. Having never tried this and tested the limits of your side delts, you can’t really assess can you?

Have you seriously never done a drop set before?

Man, you like to question everything everyone posts on this site, don’t you? You’re either a troll or a hipster…can’t tell yet. [/quote]

probably a hipster

isn’t the 1/3 rep mostly the horizontal portion though? so you are swinging arms to side basically, with a heavy weight.

i know what drop sets are, but you’re adding weight at end… why not continue with the drop sets and do full ROM?

[quote]qeynos wrote:

[quote]jskrabac wrote:

[quote]qeynos wrote:
even so, can’t imagine you doing strict partials after something like your 10RM, with 10-20 more lbs?

most lat raises videos ive seen use momentum[/quote]

It is hard to imagine, because it’s quite challenging. But it’s completely doable, even with nazi strict form. You’re likely gonna only be getting the weight up 1/3 of the ROM by the end, if that, but still activating the side delts with constant TUT. I promise people do it. Having never tried this and tested the limits of your side delts, you can’t really assess can you?

Have you seriously never done a drop set before?

Man, you like to question everything everyone posts on this site, don’t you? You’re either a troll or a hipster…can’t tell yet. [/quote]

probably a hipster

isn’t the 1/3 rep mostly the horizontal portion though? so you are swinging arms to side basically, with a heavy weight.

i know what drop sets are, but you’re adding weight at end… why not continue with the drop sets and do full ROM?
[/quote]

Because you are still activating the side delts in the bottom of the ROM. Yes, it is kinda like swinging…just make sure you’re not “bouncing” the weight off your hips to ensure constant tension. For me personally, and from most guys I’ve talked to who have tried the heavy partials, there’s actually a GREATER mind muscle connect when they go heavier, super strict and partial range. I never knew what a delt pump felt like until I started doing these. Another great benefit is that they tend to take traps out of the movement, because they are basically pinned down and there’s not as much temptation to shrug the weight up at the top of the motion.

I understand what you are getting at about the lower part of the ROM not really contributing much resistance in the plane of motion…that’s why when doing these with DBs it good to go heavy, but not so heavy you’re not at least gettting 1/3 to 2/3 the motion down. However, do them with cables or in a machine, different story. Then you actually have horizontal resistance at the start.

Er… Is this a thread about diet or partials? C’mon, I didn’t say lateral raises can’t be painful. I just think they’re not your NO1 priority for gaining weight. And even this isn’t worth hijacking a thread.

[quote]GalacticToast wrote:
I know Im beating a dead horse here. But I have a question for those of you who know how the body works in depth. Theoretical, what would happen If I followed a bulking regimen Monday-Thursday, and then an EXTREME cut Friday through Sunday? Monday through Thursday being in a 500 calorie daily surplus, and Friday through Sunday eating 600 calories a day divided in 6 portions. Would I theoretically build muscle M-T and lose fat F-Su or what would happen? [/quote]

google carb backloading