T Nation

Burning Fat and Keeping Lean Mass

What is the most effective way to get this physique. I’m 20 years old, 158 lbs, is their anyway i can get those six pack abs in about 2 months? I have like an 3/4 inch of flab but i could see the pack coming out a little. I’m also a diabetic would this have any effect on getting lean? I know that insulin production causes the body to store fat.

Waits patiently…

at 158 pounds, you better be 4 feet tall. Seriously, there is not one single person on this board that will recommend you cut below 158 pounds to “bring out the abs”. At that point you will look starving, malnurished and in need of care… NOT ripped.

I would recommend trying to cut if you are only 160 lbs etc… and that is what you WANT to achieve.

I recommend you do it like this:

Eat a lot more especially meat
Train heavy with big weights and big lifts, in fact you are only allowed to do squats, bent row or chins, bench, military press.

Crunches are great for burning fat around your waist, they are most effective after doing 3 sets of 20 breather squats. IF you do crunches without doing the breather squats you won’t burn fat around the midsection and get your six pack.

A breather squat is a squat with bodyweight for 20 reps, however, if you get to 10 reps and cannot go on, you stand there with the weight on your back and breath heavy for a few breaths then do a few more reps. Until you get to 20. You need to do this exercise 3x a week then immediately follow with 10-30 crunches, then rest. For the rest of the workout you can do the other lifts.

Here is a sample:

monday / Weds / Friday
breather squats: 3 sets of 20
superset with
crunches : 10-30 after each breather squat (for getting your six pack)

then do either bench press (mon), bent row or chins(weds), overhead press(friday)

If you follow this routine then in 8 weeks you WILL be cut and have a six pack. And at age 20 you will probably be gaining a hefty amount of muscle too, and lose NONE of your existing muscle.

However you must eat a lot as well, clean food, meat and veges, and make sure you look after your diabetes.

[quote]Magarhe wrote:
I would recommend trying to cut if you are only 160 lbs etc… and that is what you WANT to achieve.

I recommend you do it like this:

Eat a lot more especially meat
Train heavy with big weights and big lifts, in fact you are only allowed to do squats, bent row or chins, bench, military press.

Crunches are great for burning fat around your waist, they are most effective after doing 3 sets of 20 breather squats. IF you do crunches without doing the breather squats you won’t burn fat around the midsection and get your six pack.

A breather squat is a squat with bodyweight for 20 reps, however, if you get to 10 reps and cannot go on, you stand there with the weight on your back and breath heavy for a few breaths then do a few more reps. Until you get to 20. You need to do this exercise 3x a week then immediately follow with 10-30 crunches, then rest. For the rest of the workout you can do the other lifts.

Here is a sample:

monday / Weds / Friday
breather squats: 3 sets of 20
superset with
crunches : 10-30 after each breather squat (for getting your six pack)

then do either bench press (mon), bent row or chins(weds), overhead press(friday)

If you follow this routine then in 8 weeks you WILL be cut and have a six pack. And at age 20 you will probably be gaining a hefty amount of muscle too, and lose NONE of your existing muscle.

However you must eat a lot as well, clean food, meat and veges, and make sure you look after your diabetes.

[/quote]

WTF? I think you forgot the stability ball masturbation sessions. They REALLY burn the fat around your midsection.

[quote]Lonnie123 wrote:
at 158 pounds, you better be 4 feet tall. Seriously, there is not one single person on this board that will recommend you cut below 158 pounds to “bring out the abs”. At that point you will look starving, malnurished and in need of care… NOT ripped.[/quote]

I agree with you in principle, and normally that advice is spot on. However, I take offense to the assumption that everyone who weighs 160 lbs. and is lean will look malnourished. I certainly don’t, and neither do these guys…

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=995776&pageNo=0

http://www.T-Nation.com/readTopic.do?id=790345&pageNo=0

2Geez

How tall are you?

[quote]swordthrower wrote:
Magarhe wrote:

WTF? I think you forgot the stability ball masturbation sessions. They REALLY burn the fat around your midsection.[/quote]

DUDE! crunches don’t burn the fat around your midsection! I only told him that so he would do the squats!

See when some guy with not much mass comes in and wants to know how to cut, you tell them the best way to get cut is to squat, and eat lots.

Can you see my logic?

But seriously, if he does that it should do him the world of good, and he probably will cut up and gain muscle. Unless he doesn’t eat much at all in which case he will fall down in a week.

Unless he’s 4 feet tall, he should send his picture to George Clooney. Clooney might cut him a check or send Brad and Angelina to save him.

I’m 5’8" by the way, all this information i think is helppful to me and I appreciate the advice and all. Thanks

[quote]TiGeRTusCaNi wrote:
I’m 5’8" by the way, all this information i think is helppful to me and I appreciate the advice and all. Thanks[/quote]

Seriously dude do what I said, you have hardly any fat on you it seems, and the best way to burn off that last remaining bit is with really hardcore breather squats, 3x a week, because your body will go into “holy crap” mode and start churning through energy to power your squats, you will get growth hormone release etc… and so forth, everything setup to lose fat and build muscle.

And eat really well and big, a few small meals a day, all with protein, and also, make sure you get fish oil or other good fats. That way your body knows it doesn’t need to keep the fat you have on your stomach.

Another alternative is sprints, look up “the running man” workout on tnation. But the breather squats are very good too, probably better since you can do them in the home and consistently.

2 months of either sprints or breather squats and you will be stronger, fitter, bigger muscles and less fat.

But go with the squats because it will have great long term effects on your physique, and you’ll learn to love them, too.

The aim is to do 20 with 160 lbs for you, however you probably cannot do that at the start, so even if you can only do 20 with say 40lbs that is fine, as long as you aim to increase the weight, getting up to 160 lbs one day. It might take a month, it might take a year. It doesn’t matter as long as you are increasing the weight and really trying to do well. You should get to say 10 reps before you must pause and take a few breaths. So don’t use a weight so light you can do 20 reps without a pause, that is NOT a breather squat, it is only a breather squat if you have to stop and take a few breaths. Usually after 10 reps, then 4 more, then 4 more, then 2 more. Then you is stuffed and take a rest for a few minutes.

Tell me how you go. At least give it a week and see what happens.