T Nation

Burning Fat and Building Muscles?

I was wondering if I could burn fat and build muscle at the same time. I would do 40-50 minutes running everyday and then do pullups, situps, and pushups every other day. I was thinking though, if I did the running to burn fat, won’t the situps, pushups, and pullups give me muscle and eventually give me more weight in the end? I’m new to this bodybuilding thing so yea. Should I lose all my fat first and then gain muscles? Or should I just try to get muscles from the fat I have right now. My goal is to get slim,lose fat, and gain muscles, and if you guys have any insight for me, it would be appreciated.

[quote]lacedcurtains wrote:
I would do 40-50 minutes running everyday and then do pullups, situps, and pushups every other day.
…I’m new to this bodybuilding thing so yea. [/quote]
Since you are a rank bigger you will see gains in strength even while eating at a calorie deficit and running.

If you want to “get slim” keep doing what your doing.

If you want to build muscle get a real program and eat a calorie surplus.

You will see better results by focusing on 1 primary goal until it is reached. From there reevaluate yourself and set a new primary goal.

oh, ok. good explanation. thanks

You can absolutely do both at the same time. The most important thing is to clean up your diet. Your diet should be comprised of whole non processed foods. Also get rid of the running for 40 mins, and instead add some HIIT a few times a week. If you start with a beginner strength program you will make some of the best gains you will see ever. I personally did Mark Riptoes starting strength program a few years ago and had great success with it.

Just something to think about: pretty much every time I’ve heard one of my peers claim to be in that magic state when they are getting tighter while putting on lean mass simultaneously, it is always unintentional. Their focus is either on packing on lean mass or cutting at the time, and the other one ends up being a bonus. If it becomes your objective, boy you’re gonna have a hard time spinning your wheels looking for that sweet spot.

It’s been said before, but needs repeating. Yes, you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time for a certain period of time depending on circumstances, but unless you live in a lab, concentrate on one or the other. Most people who feel they’ve done both have in reality lost fat and thereby they look bigger and thus assume they’ve also put on more muscle. Jim Wendler put up an awesome post on this on his blog recently.

[quote]Jasonthorpe wrote:
It’s been said before, but needs repeating. Yes, you can lose fat and build muscle at the same time for a certain period of time depending on circumstances, but unless you live in a lab, concentrate on one or the other. Most people who feel they’ve done both have in reality lost fat and thereby they look bigger and thus assume they’ve also put on more muscle. Jim Wendler put up an awesome post on this on his blog recently.[/quote]

Yes, and the ironic thing is…those who do in fact have the discipline required to pull it off, would never be posting for advice in on online forum in the first place.

[quote]jskrabac wrote:
Just something to think about: pretty much every time I’ve heard one of my peers claim to be in that magic state when they are getting tighter while putting on lean mass simultaneously, it is always unintentional. Their focus is either on packing on lean mass or cutting at the time, and the other one ends up being a bonus. If it becomes your objective, boy you’re gonna have a hard time spinning your wheels looking for that sweet spot. [/quote]
Totally this, especially for beginners. I don’t consider myself advanced enough to bulk or cut, and if you’re asking this kind of question you’re probably in the same boat as me. I just focus on eating right and getting stronger and everything just sort of falls into place. I weigh the same as I did when I started training (last October), but I’ve dropped six inches off my waist. I’d estimate that I’ve dropped a good 15 pounds of fat and gained 15 pounds of muscle at the same time. If you focus on eating right and getting stronger - so lifting weights and ditching the hours a week of cardio - your muscles will get bigger and unless you’re eating pizza and ice cream every day you’ll either get leaner or gain muscle without gaining a huge amount of fat. Bulking and cutting is for guys who have been doing this for a while, so if you want to be bigger and/or stronger, focus on that.