Incline treadmill walk
3.0 miles / 52:19 minutes / 352 calories

SATURDAY

BW: 154.6 lbs
waist: 33 3/4"

Conditioning
One-arm DB snatches @ 25 lbs
26 minutes / 52 total sets for 312 total reps
(6 reps left / rest 15 seconds / 6 reps right / rest 15 seconds = two sets)

With the final four months of the year underway (dividing years into thirds always seemed to make more sense for me than quarters), I’m going to make adductor flexibility a major priority. To the extent that I don’t anticipate returning to the mats until 2021, I’ve four months to make a significant difference in what I’m capable of doing, movement-wise, on the mat.

SUNDAY

BW: 155 lbs

Yardwork today. No training.

= == ===

MONDAY

BW: 153.8 lbs

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 256 calories / 40:02 minutes

= == ===

TUESDAY

BW: 155.4 lbs
waist: 34"

Modified EMOM Circuit (based on CrossFit WOD “Chelsea”)

28 rounds of:

3 bodyweight supinated grip chins (alternated with neutral grip)
rest 15-20 seconds
3 bodyweight dips

Added two rounds over last week. Will add another two rounds next week.

In other bodybuilding news, I finally managed to score a pair of 35 lbs dumbbells! Used eBay after getting jerked around on Facebook Marketplace for a few weeks. Paid a little over double what I would Pre-Plague, but they are the biggest (modest) missing ingredient in my garage gym right now and I’m glad they’ll be here in a little over a week.

WEDNESDAY

BW: 155.2 lbs
waist: 34 1/4"

Good grief! Need to back off the sourdough bread!

Conditioning
28 minutes / 56 total sets for 336 total reps

I’ve got a one-week fitness challenge for work coming up next week. I’d planned to just do my 30 set week for the final week of MMM, but I may add some daily cardio to boost my numbers for the competition. I’ll probably have to average 60 minutes a day at least to be near the top of the leaderboard.

Today’s work was 8,400 lbs (25 lbs moved 336 times). Next week, I’ll top out at 9,000 lbs (25 lbs moved 360 times) as I go for 30 minutes. By then, I should have the 35 lb DBs.

To match today’s workout with the 35s, I’d do 20 sets per arm (240 reps). If I continue with MMM for a little while longer as I try and lean out some before returning to bodybuilding, I’ll likely start with 20 sets at 35 lbs for the first week (Week 7), then add two sets a week for the next two weeks.

I’ll probably add a little weight to the upper body only Chelsea routine at that point: 10 lbs first, then a big hop to 25 lbs

Came across a simpler Arthur Jones arm specialization routine courtesy (via bank shot) of the new Ellington Darden subforum.

1. Leg extension machine
  2. Leg curl machine
  3. Nautilus pullover machine
  4. Nautilus rowing-torso machine
  5. Standing biceps curl with barbell*, immediately followed by
  6. Nautilus biceps machine, immediately followed by
  7. Pulldown on lat machine
  8. Bench press with barbell*, immediately followed by
  9. Nautilus triceps machine, immediately followed by
  10. Dip on parallel bars

I would probably do chins instead of pulldowns - in addition to swapping out for the Nautilus work. With regard to leg extensions, some combination of lunges, split squats, and goblet squats should suffice. For the leg curls, I can do a band version, but would want to add dumbbell RDLs and another posterior chain exercise for variation since my band leg curls aren’t a fantastic setup. Also, still like the DC training approach of putting the lower body work last.

That said, I can work with this. The arm work is all supersetted (5-7, rest, 8-10) and done to failure. I may rest/pause those sets for that effect.

THURSDAY

28 rounds of:

rest 15-20 seconds
3 bodyweight dips

= a few hours later =

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 256 calories / 40:02 minutes

Added two sets to last week’s total. Will add another two next week.

Second day of carb restriction. Trying to stay below 50g per day until I get my waistline under more control. Also doubling efforts to keep protein >150g.

Revised Arthur Jones Arm Specialization Program

Standing DB bicep alt curl (RP)
Standing DB pinwheel curl (RP)
Chins (max reps)

Flat DB bench press (RP)
Overhead DB triceps extension (RP)
Dips (max reps)

DB overhead pullover (max reps)
DB row (max reps)
Goblet squat (90 seconds continuous, add 30 seconds each week)
RDL (??? reps)

FRIDAY

BW: 155.2

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
3.25 miles / 394 calories / 56:23 minutes

SATURDAY

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
3.0 miles / 348 calories / 53:02 minutes

= a few hours later =

Conditioning
28 minutes / 56 total sets for 336 total reps

Watched Uncut Gems tonight. Wow. Fun enough movie in some respects but awful storytelling, characterization, etc. Not entirely sure what the point of that film was. Before the Devil Knows You’re Dead does a lot of the same things much, much better.

SUNDAY

BW: 156.6 lbs
waist: 34 1/2"

Mexican food dinner last night takes credit for all gains.

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
3.0 miles / 380 calories / 51:05 minutes

One of our team leaders has made a fitness competition part of our annual fall conference - which is going all digital for the first time this week. I couldn’t be more grateful. It’s hard not to be nervous as we undergo our own digital transformation over the coming days. But having an extra motivation to work out and train will help quite a bit.

To that end (and others) I wish I were beginning a new weight-training program this week instead of ending (probably) an old one. Then again, recovery would be an issue for an real muscle-building/retaining effort - and I’m not yet as lean as I’d like to be before returning to that kind of work anyway.

MONDAY

waist: 34 1/4"

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 258 calories / 40:02 minutes

= a few hours later =

30 rounds of:

3 bodyweight pronated grip pullups
rest 15-20 seconds
3 bodyweight dips

Nice to finally get 30 rounds on this final week of MMM. Felt strong the whole way through. Will probably do the second EMOM workout on Wednesday instead of Thursday since Thursday is my busiest conference day.

Next program is shaping up! Current draft.

Workout A

Warmup: Band face pulls
Standing DB alt curl (RP)
Standing DB pinwheel curl (max reps)
Chins (RP)
DB high pulls / Arnolds
Rear laterals / Side laterals
Goblet squats (for time)

Workout B

Warmup: Band pushups
Flat DB bench press (RP)
Overhead triceps extension (max reps)
Dips (RP)
DB overhead pullover
DB row
RDL (for time)

I’m considering adding abs and calf work to both days. Crunches and hanging leg raises. Standing and seated calf raises. Not critical. But they could be tossed in depending. All the same, the basic plan - ABA BAB - is close to set.

Reading through the latest marketing missive from Louisville, Kentucky black belt Chewy … one thing I love about Lloyd Irvin -trained marketers is that they always include valuable information that makes their (long-winded) messages always worth reading even if you don’t spend a dime.

Chewy is no different. His latest makes some of the most relevant points on the issues of weight training and Brazilian jiu-jitsu that I’ve ever read. A lot of folks waste a lot of time on the topic of BJJ and weight training. And I don’t know if Chewy’s product is any good. But he’s at least looking at the right things, it seems to me. His explanation of the problem of “pattern overload” alone is a welcome tonic for every time I’ve heard a new jiu-jitsu guy talk about doing some climbing on the off days to help his isometric strength on the mat.

TUESDAY

BW: 155.4 lbs

Continuing to back off the carbs and up the cardio/conditioning. One week since my last slice of sourdough bread, which had become my major carb source for reasons not worth getting into.

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 258 calories / 40:02 minutes

= a few hours later =

Conditioning
30 minutes / 60 total sets for 360 total reps

WEDNESDAY

BW: 154.8 lbs

Double Cardio Day today!

Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 269 calories / 39:11 minutes

= a few hours later =

Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 255 calories / 40:03 minutes

Did some number-crunching today. Waistline monthly average based on daily measurements.

March: 33.27"
April: 33.31"
May: 33.26"
June: 33.49"
July: 33.53"
August: 33.84"
as of mid-September: 34.00"

Looks like things started to get out of hand in June, with August also a rough month on this score. Interestingly, that coincides with moving away from more intensity-based training (DC) to more volume-oriented training (Gironda giant sets and even now with MMM).

So suffice to say that I’m looking forward to finishing up Mad Midsummer Metcon this week and returning to intensity-based bodybuilding! Each time I switched further away from intense, train-to-failure workouts (in June transitioning to Physique; in August transitioning to MMM), body comp suffered.

I should note that my weight fluctuated back and forth frequently between 158 and 153 over this period. And there are plenty of 156+ lbs weigh-ins in months with a waistline under 34". But I think the trend is pretty clear and the go-forward strategy no less so: leave the carbs, take the intensity.

THURSDAY

BW: 155.5

trying to be patient … fatness is no fun …

30 rounds of:

rest 15-20 seconds
3 bodyweight dips

= followed by =

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.5 miles / 355 calories / 41:00 minutes

Turned up the intensity a bit on the cardio. Easier to do after the conditioning work. My standard of late has been intensity of 6.4 cal/min. Today was more like 8.6.

Current thinking is to begin “Arms of Autumn” on Monday. Run it ABA BAB for six weeks. Take one week off. Then run it for another six weeks, finishing just ahead of Christmas. Typical specialization programs run for four weeks. Since this isn’t as focused as some programs I’ve seen, I think I can get away with running it for six weeks instead.

May try and get in my DB snatch workout tomorrow to earn some points for a fitness competition at the conference that ends this week. In any event, this week will mark a wrap for MMM 1.0.

FRIDAY

BW: 153.2 lbs

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
2.25 miles / 271 calories / 39:02 minutes

= == ===

SATURDAY

BW: 153.8 lbs
waist: 33.5"

Conditioning
30 minutes / 60 total sets for 360 total reps

That’s a wrap for Mad MIdsummer Metcon. Some interesting developments along the way. Curious to see what my weighted pullup/chinup/dip game looks like after all this bodyweight work.

Watched an interview with Dr. Fauci in which the interviewer asked him, a former basketball player, when he thought people would be able to play pick-up basketball in the parks. He said Q3 or Q4 2021. I trust Fauci - if anything, I find him a little optimistic. So I’m settling in on the notion that I might not be returning to the jiu-jitsu mat until a year from now.

That sucks. On the constructive end of things, however, it gives me a lot of time to make the kind of changes (strength, size, flexibility, technical insight) that might make a major difference on that day I finally make it back.

SUNDAY

BW: 154.8 lbs

Took the day off

= == ===

MONDAY

Arms of Autumn, Week 1, Day 1

Starting upper arm size: 14" (right, flexed, no pump)

Warmup
Incline treadmill walk
0.75 miles / 79 calories / 14:00 minutes

Band pull aparts
3 sets of 10

Standing DB alt curls
10s 2 sets of 20
25s 1 set of 10
35s (RP) 10+5+4=19

Standing DB pinwheel curls
10s 2 sets of 20
25s 1 set of 10
35s (max reps) 15

Chins
BW 3 sets of 3
+25 (RP) 9+4+3+=16

Bicep stretch = 60 seconds

DB high pulls
25s 3 sets of 10
35s (max reps): 15

DB Arnolds
10s 2 sets of 20
25s 1 set of 10
35s (RP) 8+5+3=16

Goblet squats
25 lbs / 30 reps / 90 seconds

First day with my new program. Felt nice to be doing bodybuilding work again (i.e., early bicep pump). Basically topped my numbers, where comparable, from the end of my DC by DB program from earlier in the year - but not by much. I do like these totals - around 15. That gives me plenty to work with/from.

Can’t help but wonder if I lost a little “opportunity time” by not sticking with a DC/rest pause/train-to-failure methodology and essentially going high volume. One goal, given the fact that I don’t anticipate doing jiu-jitsu anytime soon, is to commit more strictly to a quality bodybuilding approach and see if I can build something interesting by this time next year.

Workout B on Wednesday. Triceps, Chest, Back, Hamstrings.

Update: T 9/22: I want to add abs and calves. Will drop the treadmill warm-up, which might actually save me some time overall.

TUESDAY

BW: 157.4 lbs

Cardio
Incline treadmill walk
3.0 miles / 353 calories / 52:19 minutes

Low calorie day today. Sitting at about 900 net calories after dinner with two ounces of Stoli in me. Back to the brickyard tomorrow.

WEDNESDAY

BW: 156.4 lbs

Arms of Autumn, Week 1, Day 2

Banded pushups
3 sets of 15

Flat bench DB press
25s 2 sets of 20
35s 1 set of 10
45s (RP) 20 + 7 + 5 = 32*

Overhead DB tricep extension
10s 2 sets of 20