T Nation

Burien Top Team: Making the Minotaur

t-ransformation2018

great man :slight_smile:

Thanks! Having a really good cycle this month+!

Cycle 8: Boring But Big: Friday 12 of 12

BW: 151.6
TMs: 115 / 175 / 255 / 275

DEADLIFT - 5/3/1 (ss w/DB hammer curls 25 x 10 x 5)
bar x 10
95 x 5
110 x 5
130 x 5
150 x 3
185 x 3
205 x 5
235 x 3
260 x 6

DEADLIFT Jokers
285 x 1
315 x 1
330 x 1*

*First time deadlifting more than 300 pounds. Failed with double overhand grip @330 - didn’t even make it to my knees before grip gave out. Switched to mixed grip immediately and pulled the 330 no problem.

SQUAT - Volume (ss w/Ab wheel rollouts BW x 10 x 5)
bar x 10
105 x 10
125 x 10 x 5

Very successful cycle. Moving directly on Monday to another three weeks of BBB for Cycle 9 since I took a very light deload week between sessions 10 and 11 of Cycle 8 while on the road. See “Saturday Hotel gym training” above to see just how light the deload was.

All TMs will go up by 5-10 pounds. I’ll also be fine-tuning my accessory and secondary lifts to add more sets per week for shoulders and upper chest, and easing up a little on back (my previous focus).

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Monday 1 of 12

BW: 156.4
TMs: 120 / 180 / 265 / 285

PRE-FUNK
Rope Pressdowns 40 x 10 x 5 / Dips BW x 5 x 5

PRESS (ss w/DB lateral raises and DB upright rows, both 10 x 10 x 5)
bar x 10
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 3
80 x 5
90 x 5
100 x 6

PRESS Jokers
115 x 3

Incline BENCH Volume
bar x 10
65 x 10
75 x 10 x 5

Vertical PULL
40 x 10
70 x 10
110 x 10 x 5

A little inspiration for the final two cycles of the year …

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Wednesday 2 of 12

BW: 151-156

PRE-FUNK
Leg extensions 50 x 10 x 5

SQUAT (ss w/DB concentration curls 25 x 10 x 5 & DB rows 40 x 10 x 5)
bar x 10
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
175 x 5
200 x 5
225 x 8

SQUAT Jokers
250 x 5
275 x 2

DEADLIFT Volume (ss w/ HLR BW x 10 x 6)
bar x 10
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 10 x 5

Took advantage of a midweek day off to move Tuesday’s session to Wednesday and enjoy training without having to look at the clock. Nice change of pace. Liking the 8 reps @ 225. I’ve been ashamed of my PRESS 5+ set all week, afraid that I was Cadillac-ing a bit after some great PRs at the end of my last cycle.

Back at it tomorrow with BENCH 5+ and PRESS Volume.

A little late to this discussion, but dropping 40 lbs in 3 months is dramatic. It had to change how you move and how people move against you. With high-energy new guys it could just be that their high-energy, low-skill movements are working better because you’re so much lighter. I rolled with a 500 pound deadlifter 14 years my junior last night and got a real reminder in how hard it is to hold mount on a bucking bronco with a ton of energy. If I was 40 pounds lighter some of that stuff might have worked!

@burien_top_team Outstanding lifting going on in here, especially with all of the jiu jitsu. Very good numbers all-around. I wish a lot of the smaller guys I trained with would work on their strength more. It seems like having more muscle on your frame is a good way to keep yourself from getting injured on the mats. I know a few blue and purple belts who would benefit a ton from prioritizing lifting for a few months and gaining 10 pounds or so, especially if they want to train with the big boys all of the time.

One beanpole purple belt in my training circle got injured trying to make a point in training against a really strong and athletic 210 pound dude. I didn’t see what happened or get the full story but he seemed really proud of being injured so badly. He ended up in surgery and wearing a neck brace for months. Maybe that doesn’t happen if he’s not all skin and bones, maybe it does. I’d bet that a year or two of 5/3/1 and lots of steak would have helped!

I train with a few other smaller guys who aren’t weak for their size by normal person standards, but sometimes feel like I can literally snap them in half when they do stuff like fight a stack pass tooth and nail when they should just let me pass. It’s just training, not the UFC or ADCC.

All of my jiu jitsu role models in my circle lift seriously, and not all are above 200. My instructor is a little ball of muscle at 5’9" 180. He dismantles almost everyone except his instructor, who is a somewhat puffier ball of muscle at 5’10 220, and probably the baddest dude in my entire state.

Rant aside, you’re killing it dude!

Thanks - a lot of interesting observations!

Truth told, my first reaction on seeing the early UFCs back in about 1995 was: I want to FIGHT like Royce Gracie. But I still wouldn’t mind LOOKING a little more like Ken Shamrock.

You seem to be on the right path then! You’re really doing fantastic with your lifting. Not many people will ever look like Ken Shamrock, but you’re looking pretty strong!

I’m still stuck looking like Derrick Lewis and fighting like a big dumb dive bar bouncer with an elementary understanding of jiu jitsu flowing down to me from Amal Easton and Marcelo Alonso. Thanks to these men and the men they’ve trained I can move a little bit better than most 275 pound dudes with a decent deadlift, but I’m still not moving as well as I’d like to be.

I’m just so grateful to play such a wonderful game in the free time that I’m so fortunate to have. JIu jitsu is really incredible on so many levels. I don’t know what your experience is but I suspect it far surpasses mine.

Keep on with your outstanding lifting and please log more of your jiu jitsu training details!

Oh yeah for sure but it was a frustrating surprise. You know what its like being a competitive person. I am the kind of guy where I am cool with getting submitted by a better grappler but once I improve and once I catch him. Thats it he isn’t getting anything on me ever again. Which is sooo unrealistic but thats just the mentality I have. It certainly makes for some intense rolls. Skill wise I sucked and will probably always suck. I was like 80 % fight 20 % skill.

Yeah totally agree on this. Lighter guys don’t even have to be that strong. 145 lb guy repping 250+ on squat is strong as hell.

Guy sounds like a moron. More injuries = calling it quits at a much younger age.

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Thursday 3 of 12

BW: 151-156

PRE-FUNK:
Low2High Cable Flyes 30 x 10 x 5 & Face Pulls 25 x 10 x 5

BENCH (ss w/DB laterals 10 x 10 x 5 & DB Upright Rows 10 x 10 x 5)
bar x 10
70 x 5
85 x 5
100 x 3
120 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 9

BENCH Jokers
175 x 5
195 x 1

Smith Machine Standing Behind the Neck PRESS Volume
bar x 10
50 x 10
55 x 10 x 5

Horizontal PULL
50 x 10
80 x 10
110 x 10 x 5

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Friday 4 of 12

BW: 157.2

PRE-FUNK
Long Jumps BW x 5 x 5 AND Seated Leg Curls 50 x 10 x 5*

Strained the top of my calf trying to stick the landing during the long jumps. Will probably swap them out for glute bridges/hip thrusts going forward.

DEADLIFT
ss w/DB curls 25 x 10 x 5 AND DB rows 40 x 10 x 10
bar x 10
95 x 5
120 x 5
140 x 5
160 x 3
185 x 5
210 x 5
240 x 7

DEADLIFT Jokers
270 x 5 (3 reps double overhand; 2 reps mixed grip)
300 x 3 (all mixed grip)

Still trying to figure out how to combine double overhand and mixed grip training with the DEADLIFT. Generally trying to train double overhand to failure, then switching to mixed grip to complete sets.

SQUAT Volume
ss w/ ab wheel rollouts BW x 10 x 6
bar x 10
95 x 10
125 x 10 x 5

This is what I always did. In hindsight, I probably should have tried to alternate the over/under grip for each work set after I couldn’t do double-overhand anymore. Nothing bad happened, but for a while it seemed like my right-side trap would get really stiff. Maybe that’s from years of mixed-grip without ever switching hands, maybe it’s something else.

I haven’t deadlifted in a few months since a foot sprain and being a little lazy as I recover from it, but now I just do double-overhand and then go to straps when it gets too heavy. I’m not aiming to compete in powerlifting, my grip was never a limiting factor to begin with and it seems like the risk of bicep tears will be greatly diminished.

Plus, if you’re training in the gi you’ve probably got a pretty decent grip, and even if you aren’t there are other ways of training your grip outside of deadlifts.

In my opinion mixed grip is only necessary if you intend on competing in powerlifting, and even then hook grip is an option. I still like the feeling of ripping that bar off the ground with my bare hands, but I know I can do it and feel like straps improve my risk/reward ratio in training. Plus I’m still working up with double-overhand, so the grip’s still getting worked.

That’s my $0.02.

Thanks. I’m trying to do as much double overhand as possible. But at the same time, I really want to hit a 400+ deadlift at some point. And I don’t see that happening with a double overhand grip.

Straps would be a great option. But I do a full reset between each rep when going heavy (something I picked up from a Dave Tate article around here). So they might not be very practical.

A part of me wants to get a four plate deadlift as soon as possible to get it out of my system! I’m thinking about making it one of my T-Nation Transformation 2019 goals for next year.

I’m 6’00 and have fairly large hands and 405 is the absolute most I can hold on to with double-overhand. That’s not to say you can’t too, but it is to say that it doesn’t really matter much. Hanging on to that bar as long as you can with double-overhand is solid gold no matter how strong you are. What comes next is the part that’s up for debate.

I’d say you’re pretty close to 405 mixed-grip or with straps if you’re doing 300 for 3 on joker sets after a few good work sets. That would put you right around a 2.5x bodyweight deadlift , which is strong by any measure. My best pull was 615 at around 260, which was a mere 2.4x bodyweight.

You’re pretty lean and you burn a lot of calories at jits, so much of your strength gains and day-to-day gym performance will depend on the quality of your recovery. It may take some weight gain, it may not. Just looking at your numbers here I think you’re good for at least 365 right now if you were coming off a deload week and working up to a heavy single without bothering with work sets along the way.

Straps are just a tool, nothing more. I didn’t like how they affected my setup for years, but I came to appreciate them as a tool to work my posterior chain more and keep both of my hands pronated during heavy work sets, which again has the benefit of limiting risk of bicep tears.

I use figure 8 straps now, which set up very quickly. That might be an option for you, but so is mixed grip. I used mix grip for years with no problems, let alone any bicep tears. I’m just re-evaluating the purpose of my deadlifting now, and it isn’t getting ready for a powerlifting platform.

I deadlift to maintain a strong backside, to posture up with authority and to break bones with brutally powerful hip extensions. I’m sure you can relate!

That said, I can totally understand wanting to do a “real” deadlift for your milestone. 405 is a really big pull for a guy your size. If that’s the case, move forth with no straps and mixed grip. I’m sure your body awareness is very good. Jiu jitsu guys tend to move very well. It is probably closer than you think, and I think you should do it on your terms.

If in doubt, just try to alternate which hands you pronate and supinate. I’m looking forward to monster pulls in here!

As said by twojar work up with double overhand.
When you fail switch to mixed grip.

Don’t just try, switch every set, not every rep though. Keep the focus were it belongs.
You’re really doing well my friend.
I’ve tried the joker stuff as well and burned out really quickly, so cadeau to your ability to recover.
4 plate DL is my chase as well, and i alternate grip every set. No problems.

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Monday 5 of 12

BW: 157.4

Up about 10 pounds since I started the hypertrophy emphasis at the beginning of October. The “bulk” was a little dirty at first (okay, more than a little dirty), so I’m cleaning things up between now and the end of the year. I’m willing to gain up to 162 or so during this phase, which gives me some good room to add more quality pounds before 2019 rolls around.

PRE-FUNK
Rope press downs 20 x 10; 40 x 10 x 5
Dips BW x 5 x 5

PRESS 5/3/1
ss w/DB lateral raises 10 x 10 x 5 + DB upright rows 10 x 10 x 5
bar x 10
55 x 5
65 x 5
75 x 3
85 x 3
95 x 3
110 x 5

PRESS Jokers
120 x 3
125 x 2

PRESS performance steadily improving, but more determined than ever to do a shoulder specialization program in the first half of the new year. Both in terms of strength and size, shoulders are definitely my weakest body part. I was looking at CT’s Growth Factor Shoulder Training and I, Bodybuilder programs over the weekend and got some great ideas.

I’m considering keeping my PRESS TM at 120 for my next Cycle (December). It worked well to keep my PRESS TM at 115 for Cycles 7 & 8. It may be worth the extra time to better master this level.

Incline BENCH Volume
bar x 10
60 x 10
75 x 10 x 5

Vertical PULL
50 x 10
80 x 10
110 x 10 x 5

Back on the mats after more than three weeks away. Taking a vacation day tomorrow so I moved the SQUAT 5/3/1 + DEADLIFT Volume session from Tuesday to Wednesday as I did last week. It’s really fun to train without having to think about getting back to the “office” as soon as possible.

Assisted in the first hour and got in three eight-minute rounds of Live Training in the second hour. I’m always grateful to be reminded that, after training jiu-jitsu for 13 years, three weeks off isn’t going to return me to white belt status.

Nothing against white belts, of course …

Tonight, training with a few smaller, more agile, partners, I focused on mobility-based guard passes like this favorite from Keenan Cornelius.

The whole thing is good instruction. But I’m focused on the grip particularly - which shows up about six minutes in: cross ankle and same side collar. I saw a TON of this guard pass in last year’s Masters World Championships, and it is very compatible with the tripod pressure passing a la Santana/Maia/Simoes/Miyao that I use with bigger opponents.

This way I don’t feel too much like I’m smashing smaller partners. But I’m still getting in the kind of work that will carry over when I’m passing the guards of bigger guys.

Also adding back a little pre-training mobility work (3 3-minute rounds of solo jiujitsu drills) and light post-training cardio (20 x 5 hipscapes) to add 10 min/session or 20 min/week of mobility/cardio work.

Not at all pleased with the six-week, nearly 10-pound weight gain since I started hypertrophy focus in October. Pretty sure all about a few pounds are fat; strength gains are great and I love them, but few things betray your jiu-jitsu like bad body composition. Hoping to be back down near 152 before I head out for Cape Town next Friday.

Emphasis in tonight’s class was attacking as quickly as possible after the takedown - or after your opponent pulls guard. A lot of good timing work - which is increasingly my focus (as opposed to learning new techniques) these days.

Memo to File on Heavy Lifting: Max Effort during Autumn/Winter Hypertrophy/Powerlifting Size/Strength cycles - Strength-Skill during Spring/Summer MetCon/Olympic/“Track and Field” Speed/Endurance cycles.

“Heavy lifting can be divided in two main categories: strength-skill work and maximal effort work. Strength-skill refers to submaximal work where the focus in on dominating the weight. The weight is heavy enough to stimulate a maximum number of muscle fibers, but not so heavy that it represents a psychological, physical and neurological stress. We are talking about a load of 80-85% done for a high number of submaximal sets (for example 8 sets of 3 reps). As for maximal effort, we are talking about training above 90% of your maximum, often going in the 97-102.5% (new PR) zone.”

Cycle 9: Boring But Big: Wednesday 6 of 12

BW: 155.4

PRE-FUNK
Leg extensions 30 x 10; 50 x 10 x 5

SQUAT 5/3/1
ss w/DB curls 25 x 10 x 5 + DB rows 40 x 10 x 5
bar x 10
95 x 5
115 x 5
135 x 5
155 x 3
185 x 3
210 x 3
240 x 4*

Disappointed in this PR set. Felt a sharp pain in my upper left thigh/lower hip on the left side during the third rep. Pushed a fourth, but knew I was done with squats for the day. I suspect some of the extra work on the mat last night (i.e., the extra hipscapes) might have left me vulnerable to upper thigh/hip strain.

DEADLIFT
ss w/Hanging Leg Raises BW x 10 x 6
bar x 10
95 x 10
115 x 10
135 x 10 x 5