Bumper Plates? Where Could I...

Hey Guys and Girls,
Does anyone of you know where I can buy 2 45-55 lb. bumper plates? I’m asking because the director of athletics in my school just banned me from deadlifting at our gym because: 1) it scares the shit out of people when I drop the weights; 2) I make a dent on the layers of pads. I live in a boarding school so…

Here’s my email to him:
Dear Sir:
I need to deadlift heavy. I can’t live without deadlifting heavy. Heavy lifts develop maximal motor-unit recruitment and increases the inhibition threshold of Golgi Tendon Organ and Muscle Spindle. It prepares the body to handle huge forces encountered during a sprint. Overall, it develops strength potential and thus impacts power development as well–very important for a genetically average guy like me.
How about I just slow down the acceleration during the eccentric phase of the lift. and just lift at night when I’m alone? In that way, 1) People lifting foo-foo weights won’t get scared, and 2) No damage to the pads =). Would this work?
If it does not, 1) I (or the school) could buy rubber-plated Olympic 45 lb weights to lessen the impact.
2) I could buy my own pads.
3) I could go to another gym where [my friend] works.
Please kindly look over and consider my options.

Thank you,
Wu Gong Heng
He liked option 1.
So do you guys know where I can buy bumper plates for the best price?

Thanks!
Wu Gong Heng =)

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-55-Olympic-Rubber-Bumper-Weight-Plates-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ230095160223QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15281QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

probaly about as cheap as you will found them from my research,
on my shopping list!

These are the same diameter, just not as thick and should serve your purposes.

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-25-Olympic-Rubber-Bumper-Weight-Plates-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ230095572240QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15281QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230095572240

Always factor in shipping, since it can be as much as the bumper itself. Try these if in the US:

http://www.werksanusa.com/onlinecart/agora.cgi

http://bsolympicgym.com/products.asp?cat=26

You could always try www.ironmind.com. They have rubber York plates that can be a bit pricey, but they are quality.

[quote]In_Kansas wrote:

http://cgi.ebay.com/New-2-25-Olympic-Rubber-Bumper-Weight-Plates-FREE-SHIP_W0QQitemZ230095572240QQihZ013QQcategoryZ15281QQcmdZViewItem?hash=item230095572240

[/quote]

Good idea, didnt think of that

Would using just one set of bumper plates and the rest regular plates work good for doing deadlifts and dropping overhead attempts and lessining the strain on my floor?

How much are you pulling?

Most places make a big deal if you physically drop the weight.

If you basically drop it, but keep your hands on the bar, you’d be surprised how much it will slow it down without much effort at all. Just don’t do a full release.

[quote]Wu Gong Heng wrote:

1. it scares the shit out of people when I drop the weights; 2) I make a dent on the layers of pads.[/quote]

problem solver: don’t drop the weights

i find that if you actually bring your weight down to the ground in a controlled manner (instead of just doing the easy thing and dropping it), it will add an extra phase of work to any olympic-style lift, making it a more demanding exercise - which is what you are after, no? … sounds to me like you should just not look for the easy way out and put the weight down without dropping it. you are after all picking it up once, so why not put it back down once? i myself am not what i would refer to as a superweight power lifter, but i do many olympic-style lifts during which i could drop the weight if so inclined. however i do not because to me it is kind of like cheating.

[quote]ExNole wrote:
How much are you pulling?

Most places make a big deal if you physically drop the weight.

If you basically drop it, but keep your hands on the bar, you’d be surprised how much it will slow it down without much effort at all. Just don’t do a full release. [/quote]

Also, the bar vibrates much less which makes much less noise.

[quote]KO421 wrote:
In_Kansas wrote:

Would using just one set of bumper plates and the rest regular plates work good for doing deadlifts and dropping overhead attempts and lessining the strain on my floor?[/quote]

I’d use one set and any plate smaller in diameter than the bumpers. But like the other guys were saying, there’s no sence in just dropping the weight, either from hip level or higher. I would think the only excuse is if you tore a muscle or tendon. Anything else is just trying to make big noise or show off.

[quote]In_Kansas wrote:
KO421 wrote:
In_Kansas wrote:

Would using just one set of bumper plates and the rest regular plates work good for doing deadlifts and dropping overhead attempts and lessining the strain on my floor?

I’d use one set and any plate smaller in diameter than the bumpers. But like the other guys were saying, there’s no sence in just dropping the weight, either from hip level or higher. I would think the only excuse is if you tore a muscle or tendon. Anything else is just trying to make big noise or show off.[/quote]

Yes, I agree I don’t drop the weight but it still does hit the floor a little hard

[quote]Rusty Barbell wrote:
Wu Gong Heng wrote:

1. it scares the shit out of people when I drop the weights; 2) I make a dent on the layers of pads.

problem solver: don’t drop the weights

i find that if you actually bring your weight down to the ground in a controlled manner (instead of just doing the easy thing and dropping it), it will add an extra phase of work to any olympic-style lift, making it a more demanding exercise - which is what you are after, no? … sounds to me like you should just not look for the easy way out and put the weight down without dropping it. you are after all picking it up once, so why not put it back down once? i myself am not what i would refer to as a superweight power lifter, but i do many olympic-style lifts during which i could drop the weight if so inclined. however i do not because to me it is kind of like cheating.

[/quote]

good for you, however, the o-lifts from the floor are a purely concentric explosive lift. there is nothing explosive about controlling the lift in the eccentric phase. you tell me how comfortable it is when you have 100+ kilos above head after snatching it then bringing it down hitting your thighs. You want eccentric control, front squats, squats, deadlifts, RDL’s.

I don’t see any competitive o-lifters when they are using close to max weights not dropping the weight from the top position.

these are the lifts where dropping the weight is necessary in order to maximize energy for the concentric portion of the lift.

Yea I don’t know, I just follow the ‘you pick it up, you put it down’ philosophy. But from the sounds of the original post, this guy is not training for any serious weight lifting competitions, or else he would probably be working out in a gym that has no lifting restrictions unlike the one of his boarding school. Thus he is probably not trying to snatch 100+ kgs (220+ lbs), which is something most common weightlifters probably cannot do.

The original post was about heavier deadlifts, no mentions of snatching. I will agree that snatching 100 kgs and controlling the eccentric phase is not easy and can be painful, but I just hate to see people in the gym carelessly drop weights. Especially on a simple, straightforward exercise like a deadlift.

Deadlift sets can easily be ended by returning the bar to the ground in a slow motion, instead of dropping it straight down from the upright stance. Wrist straps would help if your grip gets too weak.