Bumper Plates Input

A friend and I are looking to start incorporating more Olympic lifting into our workouts.

Any input on quality bumper plates would be greatly appreciated.

Also, we workout in my garage, which has a concrete floor and no rubber flooring…no Oly platform, either. Is this going to be too rough for the plates, or is this their intention/purpose?

Thanks in advance for the help,
Tucker

If you get bumpers it should be fine. I’d be more worried about the bar though and how much of a beating it can take from the drops. You have to worry about things like the sleeve pins working free if it’s not designed for Olympic lifting.

Also, keep in mind that if you’re just starting out, your strength level probably isn’t going to be so great that it exceeds what you can safely lower back to the ground, so don’t throw it around more than is necessary.

Don’t see why you couldn’t just get a rubber mat (horse stall mat is ideal) and leave it rolled up in a corner when you’re not using it.

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Don’t see why you couldn’t just get a rubber mat (horse stall mat is ideal) and leave it rolled up in a corner when you’re not using it.[/quote]

Thanks to both of you for the replies…both make very good sense.

Now, if I do go with bumper plates do either of you have any suggestions, such as brands or anything specific that I should be looking for in a good set.

Thanks again,
Tucker

[quote]sharetrader wrote:
Don’t see why you couldn’t just get a rubber mat (horse stall mat is ideal) and leave it rolled up in a corner when you’re not using it.[/quote]

Exactly! Just go to your local farm supply/feed store and get the barn mats. They are usually 3/4" thick and will withstand any kind of abuse you think you could inflict. The 4x6 mats normally cost around $45.

If you don’t know how to do the Olympic lifts I strongly urge you to find a local coach who can instruct you in how to do these. If not, you’re just asking for injuries.

horse mat! that is brilliant. trust an aussie to think of that eh?

Also with the plates basically get whatever you can afford. but if you are filthy rich then obv get ileko or ivanko. I got 2 trojan 20k for 135 ish dollars. shit expense dude

-chris

The York composite training plates are really good, so are Mavrik. Also look into Chapman composite plates, hold up pretty well. The Mavrik plates I have in my garage look practically brand new from the last five years I’ve had them. I also echo the statements about a quality “olympic lifting” bar. Good ones are around $450 or so from Ivanko and Pendlay training bars.

My gym has bumpers from PowerLift- they are great.

If you’re olympic lifting, get bumper plates. constant usage will screw up your bar if you are always dropping them. there is a reason for them, even with mats.